44 Percent?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

44 Percent?

First..let me just say that I like Jacoby Ellsbury. I have been a fan since seeing him in his Lowell Spinners days.

That being said..the stat I read earlier today simply blew my mind. Ellsbury missed 44 % of Red Sox games since 2010. 44%...!!!

Jacoby has been listed as day to day by  Red Sox management due to groin tightness. My first reaction to this is no big deal...until I remember that RS management is notorious for underestimating injuries and blowing sunshine at the fans in order to maintain ticket sales. So..when RS management says that Jacoby as "groin tightness"..that could mean anything from simply groin tightness to a more serious groin strain...in which he could be out of commission for weeks. There's just no telling with management.

Jacoby is very talented..of that there is no doubt...but he is also somewhat delicate and injury prone. I appreciate his talent when he is on  the field..but the fact that he is practically a part time player should definitely play a role in any contract negotiations the Sox have with him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: 44 Percent?

In response to miscricket's comment:

First..let me just say that I like Jacoby Ellsbury. I have been a fan since seeing him in his Lowell Spinners days.

That being said..the stat I read earlier today simply blew my mind. Ellsbury missed 44 % of Red Sox games since 2010. 44%...!!!

Jacoby has been listed as day to day by  Red Sox management due to groin tightness. My first reaction to this is no big deal...until I remember that RS management is notorious for underestimating injuries and blowing sunshine at the fans in order to maintain ticket sales. So..when RS management says that Jacoby as "groin tightness"..that could mean anything from simply groin tightness to a more serious groin strain...in which he could be out of commission for weeks. There's just no telling with management.

Jacoby is very talented..of that there is no doubt...but he is also somewhat delicate and injury prone. I appreciate his talent when he is on  the field..but the fact that he is practically a part time player should definitely play a role in any contract negotiations the Sox have with him.

I posted this stat elsewhere. Its is astounding, isn't it. Guess he is just one of those guys who will just not play if he is even a little hurt. Contrast him with Pedroia and WMB, both of whom played or are playing with significant painful injuries. I am not going to miss Ellsbury, Man of Glass, next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I posted this stat elsewhere. Its is astounding, isn't it. Guess he is just one of those guys who will just not play if he is even a little hurt. Contrast him with Pedroia and WMB, both of whom played or are playing with significant painful injuries. I am not going to miss Ellsbury, Man of Glass, next year.

WMB has played in out of a possible 121 of 193 games since he was brought up.  Is he a man of glass as well?

And I don't think missing games because of a shattered rib cage qualifies as missing games 'if he is even a little hurt'.  Nice to know the hyperbole is still in style.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I doubt they resign him. There has been worth within the organization about him being "delicate".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

WMB has played in out of a possible 121 of 193 games since he was brought up.  Is he a man of glass as well?

And I don't think missing games because of a shattered rib cage qualifies as missing games 'if he is even a little hurt'.  Nice to know the hyperbole is still in style.

Was that the only reason he missed 44% of the games in the last three years? When you look at WMB playing with a significant rib injury, quite possibly broken ribs, and Pedroia playing with a torn ligament in his thumb, it puts Ellsbury's unwillingness to play hurt in perspective.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I truly was surprised at the stat. I always feel that Ellsbury is injury prone..although in fairness his rib injury was pretty substantial...it just didn't feel like he missed that many games!

I do think this should be taken into consideration at contract time...but really my frustration is generally focused on the Sox front office. Given past behavior..there is little reason to think that they are being up front about Ellsbury's latest injury. At a time when the Sox are doing well..I prefer to have all hands on deck to keep the flow going. But..it's baseball. Things change quickly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Check with bill 806 and softlaw because they both have said repeatedly Ellsbury is holding this team back and that Bradley will quickly get the Sox winning again becauseof his great fielding, timely hitting, and incomparable leadership skills.  Me, I'm worried.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

So you're saying he has played more often than not. That should shut up his critics!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

It truly amazes me how some of you put Ells in the category of often injured and made of glass. He was run over by one of him team mates and had a 250lb relief pitcher fall on him. THIS DOESN"Y QUALIFY AS INJURY PRONE. 

Hetch

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

He missed virtually all of 2010 because of the broken ribs caused by Beltre, originally misdiagnosed by the Sox doctors, who urged him to start playing again as soon as possible.  Then the subluxated shoulder (?) last year, caused by a Yankee landing on top of him, which cost half a season.  In between he played 158 games in 2011.  So far this year before the groin pull, he played every game but one and pretty much every inning of every game he was in. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Thank you........  Just goes to show, that SOFTY is 125% spot on !!!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

'Shattered' ribcage??  Please..!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Was that the only reason he missed 44% of the games in the last three years? When you look at WMB playing with a significant rib injury, quite possibly broken ribs, and Pedroia playing with a torn ligament in his thumb, it puts Ellsbury's unwillingness to play hurt in perspective.

Basically, yes.  he played in 153 games in 2009.  Missed virtually all of 2010 after the collision.  Played 158 games in 2011.  Played the first 7 games in 2012, got hurt, and then played of the remaining 67 of the remaining 76 games.  Before last night, he played in 54 of 55 games.

So that's two major injuries, and in addition, he missed 24 of a possible 456 games.  That's about 1.3 games a month.  And remember, at least a few of those games he sat because of slumps.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Check with bill 806 and softlaw because they both have said repeatedly Ellsbury is holding this team back and that Bradley will quickly get the Sox winning again becauseof his great fielding, timely hitting, and incomparable leadership skills.  Me, I'm worried.

I don't agree that Bradley is going to make a difference over Ellsbury..not even for a second. In fact the Bradley fixation kind of boggles my mind a bit. I mean he's good..but he's no Ellsbury.

I admit..I am not sure where I've gotten the perception that Ellsbury injures easily. For sure it is not fair to judge him on the rib injury caused by Beltre. One thing that Maxbialstock stated stands out with me...that the Sox medical team originally misdiagnosed that injury. 

My post was really a reaction to the stat. I didn't realize the numbers were that dramatic..and really just another dig at the Sox training and medical staff. They don't seem to get it right very often....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Thank you........  Just goes to show, that SOFTY is 125% spot on !!!!!!!!

With all due respect Bill...softy is not really spot on about anything...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

he's injured a lot - no one is really debating this...would you not sign him because of it? I guess that's the $17,000,000 question