44 Percent?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: 44 Percent?

In response to georom4's comment:

he's injured a lot - no one is really debating this...would you not sign him because of it? I guess that's the $17,000,000 question

Granderson has been on the DL twice this year.  Would you sign him?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont think they will get rid of Ellsbury unless its a very solid return and exactly what they want. They know they can always insert JBJ if they need to this year and then completely replace Ells next year. the Sox hold all the cards with any deal because they dont have to make a move.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

he's injured a lot - no one is really debating this...would you not sign him because of it? I guess that's the $17,000,000 question

I would still sign him because I think the team is better with him ..but like I stated ..I would factor in the fact that of the lost time due to injuries. Regardless of the cause..this should be factored in when they are talking money.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Yankees will pick-up Granderson's option, unless he has a serous career injury.

Me, I'm worried.

Ellsbury isn't a different maker on this team. Bradley was fine, tonight, and will continue to adjust and improve his plate worker. A smart GM would move Ellsbury's contract in exchange for anything better than the draft compensation, which is a guarantee.

I disagree. When Ellsbury is healthy and playing he is a difference maker. Bradley is still a developing player. You don't insert a developing player in the lineup on a full time basis unless you have to. It is still preferable to have Ellsbury out there over Bradley..especially while the Sox really seem to be in contention.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

It truly amazes me how some of you put Ells in the category of often injured and made of glass. He was run over by one of him team mates and had a 250lb relief pitcher fall on him. THIS DOESN"Y QUALIFY AS INJURY PRONE. 

Hetch

250 lb relief pitcher? It was Reed Brignac, Rays SS while trying to turn a dp. That being said, it was still a legit injury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Me, I'm worried.

Ellsbury isn't a different maker on this team. Bradley was fine, tonight, and will continue to adjust and improve his plate worker. A smart GM would move Ellsbury's contract in exchange for anything better than the draft compensation, which is a guarantee.

I disagree. When Ellsbury is healthy and playing he is a difference maker.

True, but... Bradley Jr. Could, hypothetically, be more productive just staying in the line-up.

Bradley is still a developing player. You don't insert a developing player in the lineup on a full time basis unless you have to.

Why not? They've done it before ( because of Ellsbury ).

It is still preferable to have Ellsbury out there over Bradley..especially while the Sox really seem to be in contention.

Some days i'm not so sure i would prefer Ells. His OBP is horrible for a lead-off hitter. He's spent his whole career working on his HR swing when he should've been working on how to bunt. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

First..let me just say that I like Jacoby Ellsbury. I have been a fan since seeing him in his Lowell Spinners days.

That being said..the stat I read earlier today simply blew my mind. Ellsbury missed 44 % of Red Sox games since 2010. 44%...!!!

Jacoby has been listed as day to day by  Red Sox management due to groin tightness. My first reaction to this is no big deal...until I remember that RS management is notorious for underestimating injuries and blowing sunshine at the fans in order to maintain ticket sales. So..when RS management says that Jacoby as "groin tightness"..that could mean anything from simply groin tightness to a more serious groin strain...in which he could be out of commission for weeks. There's just no telling with management.

Jacoby is very talented..of that there is no doubt...but he is also somewhat delicate and injury prone. I appreciate his talent when he is on  the field..but the fact that he is practically a part time player should definitely play a role in any contract negotiations the Sox have with him.

For all of last year, many insisted Ellsbury was not injury prone and the victim off accident that cost him lots and lots of playing time.  Intersting a day-to-day strained groin has changed that....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

First..let me just say that I like Jacoby Ellsbury. I have been a fan since seeing him in his Lowell Spinners days.

That being said..the stat I read earlier today simply blew my mind. Ellsbury missed 44 % of Red Sox games since 2010. 44%...!!!

Jacoby has been listed as day to day by  Red Sox management due to groin tightness. My first reaction to this is no big deal...until I remember that RS management is notorious for underestimating injuries and blowing sunshine at the fans in order to maintain ticket sales. So..when RS management says that Jacoby as "groin tightness"..that could mean anything from simply groin tightness to a more serious groin strain...in which he could be out of commission for weeks. There's just no telling with management.

Jacoby is very talented..of that there is no doubt...but he is also somewhat delicate and injury prone. I appreciate his talent when he is on  the field..but the fact that he is practically a part time player should definitely play a role in any contract negotiations the Sox have with him.

Ells plays the game hard like Victorino which leads to more injuries than your normal ballplayer.  We have Bradley, Nava and Victorino so I don't see us re-signing Ells but you never know.  Nava has really become an important part of this lineup. 

Middy is a concern, it may be to our benefit for Iggy to remain at 3B and use Middy as trade bait at some point.  With Bogy presently playing SS it will be interesting to see if he begins to play elsewhere before next season.  This should finally tell us where Iggy and he may finally end up.  Middy is young, had a solid rookie season and should attract a lot of attention.  Either way having all three is a nice problem to have until things take shape.  Who knows?  We could eventually end up with Middy at 1B if he matures offensively and can stay off the DL. 

Financially it may be our best option to keep all three.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

I like ells, be time fan since his Oregon State University days. BUt, I think he get traded at the trade deadline.  And, I think its not him they trade, its having to deal with his agent they're really trading. 

Jacoby is worth every penny of a four year 60 million deal. But, his agent will want twice that. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I dont think they will get rid of Ellsbury unless its a very solid return and exactly what they want

With Shane and Bradley, they have zero need for Ellsbury. They need to take what surely will be a better trade return than "the draft compensation".

There is no need to hang on to S. Drew and Ellsbury. Zero.

I figured this thread would be perfect for you. You didn't even like him during his MVP-like season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Me, I'm worried.

I disagree. When Ellsbury is healthy and playing he is a difference maker.

True, but... Bradley Jr. Could, hypothetically, be more productive just staying in the line-up.

Bradley is still a developing player. You don't insert a developing player in the lineup on a full time basis unless you have to.

Why not? They've done it before ( because of Ellsbury ).

It is still preferable to have Ellsbury out there over Bradley..especially while the Sox really seem to be in contention.

Some days i'm not so sure i would prefer Ells. His OBP is horrible for a lead-off hitter. He's spent his whole career working on his HR swing when he should've been working on how to bunt. 

Fair enough..but I still feel that if you have Ellsbury v. an unknown factor then you stick with Ellsbury as long as he's healthy.  Remember last season when everyone was enamored over Pedro Ciriaco because he had a few good games?  No doubt JBJ will probably become a great player..but you have to let him develop. You move him up when you need him and let him get big league experience.

For the record..I agree with your point about Ells and his home run swing. Swinging for the fences is a bad habit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

Me, I'm worried.

I disagree. When Ellsbury is healthy and playing he is a difference maker. Bradley is still a developing player. You don't insert a developing player in the lineup on a full time basis unless you have to. It is still preferable to have Ellsbury out there over Bradley..especially while the Sox really seem to be in contention.

This is exactly why the red sox will not offer a contract based on Jacoby's injuries.  Looking at the contract they just gave a player who sat out half of last season, I really doubt that the sox will low ball an offer because of past injuries.  If they do, someone will be there with a better offer.

I was not suggesting that they low ball him..I was suggesting that they consider the injury history when Ellsbury's agent comes to them with an astronomical number.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.