Lackey

4.1  2

6   1

Doubront

5  3

5  2

6.2  3

6.2  3

Only 1 game with 4 ERs allowed by the "big 5", and that was in 7 IP, which is still decent. 21 starts is not a big sample size, but it is certainly an encouraging sign.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: 5 Guys Getting the Job Done...

Its all about the the pitching. Look at RS 04 and 07 seasons and see how healthy and how well staff pitched as evidence of what a solid staff means to a ball club. While everyone wants to write off Yanks this year due to injuries to Jeter/Tex/Arod/Granderson, their staff has stayed healthy and big reason why they are in every game they play, while Angels go out and sign Pujols and Hamiltons and team continues to struggle because the pitching staff not doing its job. It's all about the pitching, Giants are a perfect example, their lineup doesn't wow you but their staff does!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Its all about the the pitching. Look at RS 04 and 07 seasons and see how healthy and how well staff pitched as evidence of what a solid staff means to a ball club. While everyone wants to write off Yanks this year due to injuries to Jeter/Tex/Arod/Granderson, their staff has stayed healthy and big reason why they are in every game they play, while Angels go out and sign Pujols and Hamiltons and team continues to struggle because the pitching staff not doing its job. It's all about the pitching, Giants are a perfect example, their lineup doesn't wow you but their staff does!

As Earl Weaver said, pitching, defence and 3-run homers.  I don't think Earl literally meant 3-run homers though.  I think he meant somebody coming up with a big hit at the right time, whether it was a 3-run homer or even a 2-run single.

Guys like Napoli and Nava have been coming up with those big hits and the pitching and defence have been outstanding.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

moon, you're contradicting yourself a bit on Doubront.  In another thread you're ready to give up on him.  In this one he's getting the job done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Definitely the rotation, which so far has been amazing even with the injury to Lackey and the inconsistency of Doubront.  That said, even without the great gloves of Iglesias and Bradley, the defense has been pretty good, and the run scoring among the top five teams in MLB. 

In the offseason I would have agreed to acquiring a front line starter and had no idea the ingredients for a solid rotation were mostly already here.  So double credit to Cherington for just going after Dempster and for his rigorous pursuit of John Farrell, who then went after a good pitching coach.  Those two have clearly helped.

So far we also have to credit Ben C for building what has been a pretty good lineup, but especially getting Mike Napolic for 1B and re-signing David Ortiz to continue as the DH.  As much as we diss softlaw  downplaying Ortiz, he had a point--Big Papi was a bit of a risk.  If Victorino can overcome the back issues, he will continue to be very useful in RF, batting 2d. 

Most of us have also noticed the attitude change, almost as if the Sox are now a team of Pedroias with everyone wanting to contribute on every play.  Interesting to note that Farrell started the season with Pedroia batting 3d and has kept him there. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

moon, you're contradicting yourself a bit on Doubront.  In another thread you're ready to give up on him.  In this one he's getting the job done.

I'm not answering for Moon, but it depends on your viewpoint. As a #5 SP, yes, he's done his job. But if you've had expectations of Doubront being more than a #5... then not so much. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Doubront looks like a very good #4/5 at the very least; Dempster would be a #2, if not #1, on many teams with the way he has pitched so far. Lackey looks ready to be a contributor.

I'm very excited about this team's pitching, especially knowing Webster will be ready to step in should someone falter or fall injured.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I am thrilled with the Staff and I posted in ST that I thought this starting staff has a chance to win 70-75 games, and from what I have seen so far that is definitely in reach. Health as it always is will be the key..but I am confident in Websters ability to step in some time this year so we could probably afford some time lost by Dempster, Doubie or Lackey....losign Lester or Buch for any extended period would be tough to overcome, but no team can afford to lose their #1 or #2

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think Doubie is doing good for a #4/5 pitcher

Dempster is pitching like a #2/3 right now, so hes doing very good

Both Buch and Lester,(more Buch right now) are pitching like a #1, and dare I say Buch is pitching like an "Ace" so far.

Lackey has looked good in his 10IP so far, but Id like to see him after 4-5 starts.

Morales is on the way back to spot start and having Webster available is a very comforting thought.

Very encouraging for sure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Smoke and mirrors with Doub.

He's walking the whole world, but getting by with few runs allowed... for now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

How many pitchers have control issues in their first few years of MLB? a lot of good ones and a lot of bad ones. Only one way to figure out which type ya got. Doobs has some nasty stuff with a ton of potential. but until he proves it that's all it will be.. Potential. Let's find out!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well, I'm glad we didn't trade Doubront and sign Brandon McCarthy to replace him.  McCarthy has only given up 4 walks in 27.2 innings.  Unfortunately he's also given up 45 hits and has an ERA of 7.48.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

actually, douby is the #4 at this point.

How is he the #4 yazz?  If the playoffs started tomorrow Lackey and Dempster would be slotted ahead of him don't you think? 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think by mid season, we may see this order:

1) Buchholz

1A) Lester

3) Lackey

4) Dempster

5) Doubront/ Morales/ Webster

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I think by mid season, we may see this order:

1) Buchholz

1A) Lester

3) Lackey

4) Dempster

5) Doubront/ Morales/ Webster

That could be a playoff order if the Sox make the playoffs. As far as the regular season, the order could get messed up by a rainout or some other reason, so the order really isn't important. If no one ever gets hurt and no one misses because of rain or anything else, the order for the regular season likely wouldn't change.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Not smoke and mirrors.  His K/W is still quite solid.  So the natural effect of that is more walks, but less hits.  Just like a 6/3 per 9 would result in less walks, but more hits. His BABIP and LOB% are exactly where they should be, so his ERA is exactly where it should be.  His xFIP is actually 3.25.  The only outlier is a low HR/FB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

btw, i'm watching the ASTROS pound the yank-ems and i hardly ever pay attention to mary kay or one of his minions, but cone mentioned a quote made by casey stengle that bears posting.

"every team wins 60 games and every team loses 60 games. it's those other 40 games that determine if you're gonna make the playoffs."

Yeah, I've heard that one, and I've used it too.  Great quote.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Not smoke and mirrors.  His K/W is still quite solid.  So the natural effect of that is more walks, but less hits.  Just like a 6/3 per 9 would result in less walks, but more hits. His BABIP and LOB% are exactly where they should be, so his ERA is exactly where it should be.  His xFIP is actually 3.25.  The only outlier is a low HR/FB.

I disagree. His WHIP is way too high to support an ERA in the low 4's.

Yes, he allows less hits and K's more batters than most pitchers, and that compensates somewhat for the high BB%, but to me, it's not enough.

Looking at last year's pitchers with a WHIP around Doubie's 1.41, there ERA was:

1.37 Nolasco  4.48

1.37 B Chen   5.07

1.37 Norris    4.65

1.38 Lester    4.82

1.39 Zito        4.15

1.39 Westbrk 3.97

1.40 Harang   3.61

1.42 Hochev  5.73

1.42 Guthrie  4.78

1.44 Alavarez 4.85

I guess it's not too unlikely to sustain an ERA in the low 4's or high 3's since 3 out of 8 in that range did it last year, so maybe he can keep it up, but I'm not holding my breath. I really hope he proves me wrong. He just might.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Sorry.  Wrong 5.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

As a baseball fan with baseball often on my mind, I think of my five best shirts I wear to work  as my five-man rotation.  I save my ace (my best shirt) for important meetings or when I need to make a strong impression on someone, and the bottom of the rotation is reserved for days where I mostly associate with familiar colleagues.