5 Sox prospects on BA Top 100

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

Re: 5 Sox prospects on BA Top 100

In response to notin's comment:

Nice to see Delino DeShields crack the top 100 again after a 23 year hiatus. ..

Well he was born in 1992 but I wonder is he any relation? It says he was born in Houston but the Delino that played in the majors is from Delaware. Of course we all know he was traded by the Expos to the Dodgers for Pedro Martinez. DeShields was also an all american high school basketball player and gave a verbal commitment to Villanova but changed his mind later in the year to play baseball. We're glad he did because if he plays b-ball for Nova we don't win it all in 04 because we probably would have never gotten Pedro.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

You guys do know he is his son right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Wright will be 29 this August, but with knuckleballers, he still could have 15 good seasons in him!

Id love to have another Kballer in the rotation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Wright will be 29 this August, but with knuckleballers, he still could have 15 good seasons in him!

I did a study on the games after Wake (vs the same opponent) and found our pitchers did way better than the norm in thiose games. A K-baller rerally messes with hitter's timing and confidence, and that can spill over to the next game(s).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

You guys do know he is his son right?

Thanks, I figured he was but wasn't sure. Not that common a name.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Who might get the most games this year (assuming not by injury to a ML player):

Iggy?

Brentz?

Lava?

Bradley?

Bogaerts?

Linares?

Other?

What pitcher will be on the 25 man roster the most days (assuming not by injury to another player):

de la Rosa?

Webster?

Wright?

Workman?

Wilson?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I did a study on the games after Wake (vs the same opponent) and found our pitchers did way better than the norm in thiose games. A K-baller rerally messes with hitter's timing and confidence, and that can spill over to the next game(s).

I just like them. Personal preference.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

Iggy?

Brentz? <---------------------------

Lava?

Bradley?

Bogaerts?

Linares?

Other?

What pitcher will be on the 25 man roster the most days (assuming not by injury to another player):

de la Rosa? <---------------------

Webster?               OR

Wright? <-------------------------

Workman?

Wilson?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I developed a mean knuckleball during the end of my softball career. I loved it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

Iggy?

Lava?

Bradley?

Bogaerts?

Linares?

Other?

Workman?

Wilson?

Those were my choices as well. I'll take DLR over Wright.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

Iggy?

Lava?

Bradley?

Bogaerts?

Linares?

Other?

Workman?

Wilson?

Those were my choices as well. I'll take DLR over Wright.

i would take RDLR over Wright too but just thinking realistically.. With RDLR on an innings limit i could see Wright get some serious playing time in the MLB

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i would take RDLR over Wright too but just thinking realistically.. With RDLR on an innings limit i could see Wright get some serious playing time in the MLB

Good point, if there is an injury to a starter, but my question assumed no injurys-- more based on abilty and Ml readiness than circumstance.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Good point, if there is an injury to a starter, but my question assumed no injurys-- more based on abilty and Ml readiness than circumstance.

then RDLR all day

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think Iglesias turns the corner this year - he's added 9 lbs of muscle, and it won't take much offense to make him a better candidate than Drew at SS.  I say he's the first to play himself into a position.

Followed by Lavarnway, and Bradley.

My sleeper pick is Jeremy Hazelbaker - he hits well against righties, has more power than Nava and can steal a base for one of our middle of the order bats who round the bases at the speed of smell.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Iglesias turns the corner this year - he's added 9 lbs of muscle, and it won't take much offense to make him a better candidate than Drew at SS.  I say he's the first to play himself into a position.

Here's a list of the best to worst 33 SSs in MLB since 2003 by UZR/150 with over 5000 innings at SS:

Everett, Hardy, Vizquel, Andrus, A Ram, Izturus, Wilson, Rollins, Gonzo, Tulo, Uribe, O Cab, Y Escobar, Bartlett, Crosby, J Reyes, Aybar, Renteria, Lugo, Guzman, Peralta, Tejada, Clayton, Scutaro, Furcal, K Green, Eckstein,

Stephen Drew is #28

Jeter is #29

Berroa is #30, Y Betancourt-31, HanRam-32, and M Young-33.

If we set the innings at , then we can get to exactly 30 SSs, and these guys come off the list: E Andrus, B Crosby, and R Clayton.

That would make Drew the 25th out of 30 SSs.

Here's the worst range SSs since 2003 (as based on fangraph's RngR factor):

Out of 33 SSs with 5000+ innings at SS

33  Jeter -92.5

32 Young  -67.8

31 Betancourt -43.6

30 S Drew  -35.1

29 Peralta  -34.8

28 HanRam -31.4

I think the defensive differential between Iggy and Drew could be astronomical in terms of UZR/150.

Small sample size, but Iggy is +41.5 and Drew is -4.6.

The RngR factor differential is even more shocking:

Drew:  -35.1

Iggy:   + 4.8

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If Drew is that bad defensively then it really makes sense to just put Iggy at short.  In the absence of a good season at the plate from drew. 

If Drew is having a 2010 year then keep him.  But if he's having a year like he did the last two, just put Iggy there.  At what point is a guy who can barely hit .250 a better option than a guy who may hit .220 and give you significantly better defense?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

If Drew is that bad defensively then it really makes sense to just put Iggy at short.  In the absence of a good season at the plate from drew. 

If Drew is having a 2010 year then keep him.  But if he's having a year like he did the last two, just put Iggy there.  At what point is a guy who can barely hit .250 a better option than a guy who may hit .220 and give you significantly better defense?

I'm worried that with the pin in Drew's ankle, his defense might be worse than the bda career numbers show anyways.

I think he used to be a decent fielder, but I doubt anyone is projecting him to be better in the field this year than his career norm.

His bat has a lot of upside, but to me, it was a waste of money.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Drew was insurance but he was a 1 year deal wasn't he. He is an expensive plan for a big market team which didn't cost us a draft pick and he allows us to give Bogaerts and Iglesias time to make it.  Hopefully he has a solid year. I think he gets better after the beginning of the year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Drew was insurance but he was a 1 year deal wasn't he. He is an expensive plan for a big market team which didn't cost us a draft pick and he allows us to give Bogaerts and Iglesias time to make it.  Hopefully he has a solid year. I think he gets better after the beginning of the year.

I get why they signed him; they wanted to give us the appearance that we have a good chance this year, but we could have done better with the $9.5M in a transition year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think he will. IMO trhere's 2 reasons why Drew is here. First he buys the Red Sox a year while Iglesias/Bogaerts/Marrero develop. Second his agent saw what Beltre, another client of his did in Boston on a 1 year deal and is hoping for an approximation of that performance. One reason to cheer for Drew, besides him being a Red Sock for the year, is that should he parlay his year in the Fens into a nice contract elsewhere, it would only help fortify the relationship between Boras and the Sox FO for the inevitable Bradley Jr. and Bogaerts extension negotiations.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

On a completely unrelated matter, my second favorite Red Sox minor league outfielder was 2 for 3 last night with 2 RBI.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I developed a mean knuckleball during the end of my softball career. I loved it!

I remember my dad having an outstanding KBall with good speed on it..probably around 65-70MPH...I always had trouble with it myself, but still always remained fascinated with the pitch..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Here's a list of the best to worst 33 SSs in MLB since 2003 by UZR/150 with over 5000 innings at SS:

Everett, Hardy, Vizquel, Andrus, A Ram, Izturus, Wilson, Rollins, Gonzo, Tulo, Uribe, O Cab, Y Escobar, Bartlett, Crosby, J Reyes, Aybar, Renteria, Lugo, Guzman, Peralta, Tejada, Clayton, Scutaro, Furcal, K Green, Eckstein,

Stephen Drew is #28

Jeter is #29

Berroa is #30, Y Betancourt-31, HanRam-32, and M Young-33.

If we set the innings at , then we can get to exactly 30 SSs, and these guys come off the list: E Andrus, B Crosby, and R Clayton.

That would make Drew the 25th out of 30 SSs.

Here's the worst range SSs since 2003 (as based on fangraph's RngR factor):

Out of 33 SSs with 5000+ innings at SS

33  Jeter -92.5

32 Young  -67.8

31 Betancourt -43.6

30 S Drew  -35.1

29 Peralta  -34.8

28 HanRam -31.4

I think the defensive differential between Iggy and Drew could be astronomical in terms of UZR/150.

Small sample size, but Iggy is +41.5 and Drew is -4.6.

The RngR factor differential is even more shocking:

Drew:  -35.1

Iggy:   + 4.8

This is why I dont rely completely onthese numbers...Drew, while not having great "range" is a smart ballplayer and positions himself right and is very quick to react which makes up for his lack of range. hes not as bad as those numbers indicate IMO...Kind like his brother...

Im not saying hes nearly as good as Iggy, but hes far from a liability as those numbers would suggest.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I remember my dad having an outstanding KBall with good speed on it..probably around 65-70MPH...I always had trouble with it myself, but still always remained fascinated with the pitch..

A slow pitch softball knuckler is much different than hardball, but I loved watching players swing and miss at balls that drop 2 feet in front of home plate.

I let up more than my fair share of Hrs and long flyballs, but overall, I did pretty darn good.