5-tool player?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

5-tool player?

Garin Cecchini could be that player...

He has speed and good base running skills, a strong accurate arm, hits for average, solid defense, and now we might be able to add power to his repertoire...Now he could possibly grow more and thus maybe lose some speed, but 51 SB in 2012 is no small feat so I say he possesses that tool. Scouts' said he has above average power potential, so I guess what is the number that would be considered to posses the "power" tool? He has hit a grand total of 10 HR in his 2+ years in the Sox system with 4 being the most in 2012. Cecchini has 4 HR already this year. He has always had a sweet LH swing and is a big kid. Is this the year he starts showing that power? Could he be a 30HR hitter? I guess time will tell. Either way, the Sox have a very promising prospect in Garin Cecchini.

http://salemsox.mlblogs.com/2013/05/08/growing-power-cecchinis-towering-tuesday-night-blast/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: 5-tool player?

What's his position SP?  How do you say his name (looks like an Italian name)?  Be a bonus if his power develops.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

What's his position SP?  How do you say his name (looks like an Italian name)?  Be a bonus if his power develops.

Hey mex!

its pronounced Cheh-key-nee...He plays 3b, but they say a transition to 1b shouldnt be an issue.

I know its really early on the power for him, but with him having 4 of the 5 tools and already having the most HR's hes had in one year at the beginning of May caught my eye.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I thought he could be 20-25 HR guy with 30+ SB regularly which isn't bad for 1B but not too intriguing either from power wise.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Hey mex!

its pronounced Cheh-key-nee...He plays 3b, but they say a transition to 1b shouldnt be an issue.

I know its really early on the power for him, but with him having 4 of the 5 tools and already having the most HR's hes had in one year at the beginning of May caught my eye.

as of right now the SOX do need a 3rd baseman who can hit.

Well even without the power Cecchini has always had a high BA and OBP. Hes still in high A ball though. Almanzar or Bogy are ahead of him in AA. Not much to speak of in AAA except career minor leaguer Justin Henry, Ryan Dent, Brock Holt or Brandon Snyder. Neither of which are an encouraging replacement.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'd like to see Xander Bogaerts get some more experience at 3rd.He's played a little 3rd in spring training and at the WBC this year.We already know he can play Short,but adding 3rd base to his resume would make him a lot more valuable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Real five-tool players are rare.  Good enough to find someone who has 3 or 4. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Real five-tool players are rare.  Good enough to find someone who has 3 or 4. 

Well, I think hes got 4 legit tools right now. would you agree?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

I'd like to see Xander Bogaerts get some more experience at 3rd.He's played a little 3rd in spring training and at the WBC this year.We already know he can play Short,but adding 3rd base to his resume would make him a lot more valuable.

from what Ive read when he played som 3b in the WBC, he wasnt that great. The knock on him is his footwork, which might land him in LF. That may not be such a bad thing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I believe there is a sixth tool[eye or plate discipline] and Cecchini has that. Unfortunately, I don't think he has the glove or power tools yet. So personally, I would say that Cecchini has 4-6 tools. The power needs to be sustained for a season[.291 ISO] before I give him that skill. And the glove needs to improve. Still a lot of tools and probably as many as the Sox have in the minors.

I would not be surprised if he has to move to the corner OF. Not horrible if it happens. He reminds me of a former 3rd basemen in Alex Gordon, only more speed. And Gordon is a very good all round player. Interestingly, by moving to the OF, it could end up giving him the glove tool.