5 tool?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Re: 5 tool?

pre-2011: 3.5 and hinting at 4.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

No arm, not a power hitter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

#3 and I'm being generous here

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Matt Kemp

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Five tool is an exaggeration mostly because there weren't that many in the history of MLB.  Cobb, Williams, Ruth, Gehrig, Hornsby, Yaz, Aaron, Bonds--none of them qualify. 

Crawford has always been a good hitter, never a great one.  Very good on the basepaths and catching the ball, but now throwing it.  So I give him 2 out of 5. 

I think Mays and Mantle might have qualified even though neither had that great a lifetime batting average.  Roberto Clemente, perhaps. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

which brain-dead host made this statement?

i used to like John Hart but if he calls Daniel Bard, Josh Bard one more time!  Two days in a row and it wasn't a re-run!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Pedroia is actually the closest on the Red sox to 5 tool.  Ells is obviously 4 but his arm gives him issues.  Crawford before last year was close but from what we have seen here I would have to say 3.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

5 tool is overated

would you rather have:

300 AVG, 20 HR, 20 2B, and great D

or

240 AVG, 40HR, acceptable D

or

320 AVG, 0 HR, 70 SB, average D

Well rounded is nice but look at the 2004 Sox - how many 5 tool players did they have?  they had guys who exceled at their specific ROLES.....

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Thanks....Yaz, Lynn, Nomar and Pedey and maybe Ellsbury and Burks.....

Others of our time - Barry Larkin......maybe Kirby Puckett........How about Eric Davis??????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Right now ?????? ZERO !!!!!   At best, 2 , speed & defense......  There is a reason that his game went to he!! so fast, just can't put my finger on it !!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: 5 tool?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5 tool? : good point. in my lifetime the only players who even lived in the exclusive 5 tool neighborhood were willy mays, mickey mantle, and perhaps, roberto clemente, although he really wasn't considered a power hitter.i'm probably leaving someone out.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]Andre Dawon before his knees went bad (Mantle much of his career was not 5 tool because of knees too.)

5 tool is very over used IMHO and certainly is misplaced when one talks about CC.

They do miss CC but sadly have since the day they signed the monster contract. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]3 No arm, not a power hitter.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  Though this assumes that he'll regain his defensive form once he's no longer pressing at the plate, which I believe to be a fair assumption.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Based on last year's performance, Id have to say ZERO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Josh Hamilton. Free agent next year...Pedey is the only one close to 5 tool in the Nation...

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Hamilton yes

Griffey - perhaps for a couple of years when he was younger....he got old fast and become a 1 tool player (see AROIDS)

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Then Fred Lynn was probably 3rd after Wagner and Mays

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to 5 tool?:
    [QUOTE]i don't think you can have enough posts about a 140+ million dollar ballplayer; so here's one more. watching the MLB network the other night, one of the commentators mentioned that the SOX would be in much better shape when their 5 tool player carl crawford returned. now my definition of the 5 tools is: 1) can hit for high average 2) can hit consistently with power 3) has speed on the bases 4) can play excellent defense 5) possesses a strong throwing arm. ignoring that commentator who lives in fantasyland, how many tools do you think crawford possesses? ps. before some of my fellow posters say it. yes, i'm a tool.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

Everyone of those categories is relative.  What is a high average and a lot of power?  Are 20 HRs good power if the guy can hit .325, or only mediocre if the guy hits .285?  Do you count OBP or avg?  Do you count only HRs or SLG?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'd put Carlos Gonzalez in this category.  Beltran and Tori Hunter in their prime?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]pre-2011: 3.5 and hinting at 4.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]
    agreed

Sections
Shortcuts