5 yr. DEAL FOR THEO TO THE CUBS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

5 yr. DEAL FOR THEO TO THE CUBS

Wow. What a mess he left the SOX. He needs to take some of the bad signings with him. Not sure if the SOX got anything in return. I guess Francona will be his manager.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: 5 yr. DEAL FOR THEO TO THE CUBS

Reports are coming out that the Cubs will not be parting with any MLB players and that they will not be taking on any bad contracts as part of the compensation.  Compensation is expected to include prospects and cash.

I'm holding out hope for Brett Jackson.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

In Response to Re: 5 yr. DEAL FOR THEO TO THE CUBS:
    [QUOTE]Reports are coming out that the Cubs will not be parting with any MLB players and that they will not be taking on any bad contracts as part of the compensation.  Compensation is expected to include prospects and cash.

Not taking on any bad contracts???  Just signing Theo is enough of a bad contract for any team to take on.

If they were signing him after 2007 I could understand why they might think he had something to offer them but this is 2011...... Just look at the mess our team is in.   The direction of Boston in the years since 2007 has been pretty clear.  

IMO the Cubs ( or any team ) hiring Theo is like someone hiring a pyromaniac to help show them how to fireproof their house.   He may not light fire to the house, but I sure wouldn't count on him to be of any help putting it out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

The Cubs are taking on a risk with high rewards. They are not going to get worse are they? Theo will do just fine for the Cubs. Maybe the Cubbies will meet the Sox in the WS.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

GR8 news!..

inepstein since 2007

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

The Cubs are the best thing that can happen to him, he did a great job in Boston until they started shelling out stupid contracts to over-rated players.  With financial limitations he won't have to worry about another John Lackey or Carl Crawford fiasco, they won't have the money to be in on those deals.

I personally think if he goes to the Cubs (who are at rock-bottom) and gets back to the philosophy he had in Boston for his first 5 years he'll do well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Good Riddance Theo.   You left a mess behind.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Theo is really leaving us w/ a mess.

We should tell the Cubs they can have Theo but they need to take either John Lackey OR Carl Crawford with him - give them the choice of which one they'll take.

For me, if they took Theo and Crawford I would be very happy.  Get a new GM to clean up the mess and not have to deal with Crawford.  It would be a nice fresh start and I'd think they Sox could be back on top in 2 years time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Crawford is the least of the Sox worries. Lackey has pitched 2 yrs now and been a bust. Crawford needs at least until the All-Star break to see if he can turn into a solid player for the Sox.

Honestly, Crawford is not a great player. And I don't blame him for his contract. He is a good player who got overpaid by Sox brass. He was not needed and jsut not a good fit into the Sox lineup. There was no great place for him. And upon reading the big revealing article, mostly Theo wanted him and the brass caved in.  But he can still be a good player for the Sox.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

We got some value out of Lackey in 2010.

We got no value out of Crawford.

Regardless, we either get rid of our worst-attidude or our worst-player/2nd biggest contract

It would be a heck of a deal for us.

Get a GM who wants to build a TEAM and just a collection of players via "the best free agents available each year"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I thank Theo for the job he did in 2004 and 2007 and for helping us finally win those championships. I do however feel that with Ben Cherington and Craig Shipley the organization could move forward pretty easily and seamlessly, so I wish Theo well. I think the pick of the Manager is the much more important decision for the team.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Holy cow ... Red Sox fans are spiteful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

Thank GOD Theo is gone.
    Please let this be true!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I guess all the haters are getting exactly what they wanted. 

I only hope that with all the garbage surrounding the sox nowadays that the players take note and man up this off season and next year.

Hope the hot stove is good to us.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

I guess all the haters are getting exactly what they wanted.  I only hope that with all the garbage surrounding the sox nowadays that the players take note and man up this off season and next year. Hope the hot stove is good to us.
    Posted by never1954

The Red Sox fans are getting what we've always wanted...a legitimate GM.

Bye Theo, the gig is up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Epstein asked Luchino and Henry for an extension and they said no.

Luchino and Henry played the Cubs like a fiddle and have now rid themselves of a GM that would have cost a year's pay to fire and now are going to get a prospect out of the deal!

It is a miracle for the Red Sox! #1 Problem gone and getting a prospect!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Sox ownership did get lucky that both Francona's contract was up and the Cub job become open this year to avoid ugly firings.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

The Cubs are taking on a risk with high rewards. They are not going to get worse are they? Theo will do just fine for the Cubs. Maybe the Cubbies will meet the Sox in the WS.....
    Posted by antiqueman1

I would like to see Theo get the Cubs to the World Series and finally win.  This would really be great for the city of Chicago.  They are long overdue to win another championship.  Imagine how you would feel if we were still waiting to win the World Series. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

In Response to Re: 5 yr. DEAL FOR THEO TO THE CUBS : I would like to see Theo get the Cubs to the World Series and finally win.  This would really be great for the city of Chicago.  They are long overdue to win another championship.  Imagine how you would feel if we were still waiting to win the World Series. 
    Posted by susan250

Theo leaving Boston feels almost as good as the Sox 2004 ALCS win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Epstein asked Luchino and Henry for an extension and they said no. Luchino and Henry played the Cubs like a fiddle and have now rid themselves of a GM that would have cost a year's pay to fire and now are going to get a prospect out of the deal! It is a miracle for the Red Sox! #1 Problem gone and getting a prospect!
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

It looks more likely that the Sox are just gonna get cash ($) as compensation instead of any prospects.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Still a miracle!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Still a miracle!
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

Once Ells leaves via FA or gets traded for a bundle of great prospects, Wakefield is not signed and Tek is not signed.....What are you going to do with yourself? OMG, Theo, Tito, Ells, Wake, Tek, Drew all gone.........Oh yes, I forgot, you will choose more targets.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from greeneater2. Show greeneater2's posts

In Response to Re: 5 yr. DEAL FOR THEO TO THE CUBS : It looks more likely thatthe Sox are just gonna get cash ($) as compensation instead of any prospects. http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman/status/124165354858627073
    Posted by JB-3

Sox better get something for this or this will be the worst collapse/season in recent Boston sports history.  Oh yeah, losing 3 games to 2 lead in the NBA Finals to the dreaded Lakers is still probably the most damaging.  Enjoy!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: 5 yr. DEAL FOR THEO TO THE CUBS : Sox better get something for this or this will be the worst collapse/season in recent Boston sports history.  Oh yeah, losing 3 games to 2 lead in the NBA Finals to the dreaded Lakers is still probably the most damaging.  Enjoy!
    Posted by greeneater2

At least we didn't blow a 24 point game 4 lead in the 2007 finals, and then get blown out by 39 points in game 6 to end the season.

If you think that having a team come back from being down 3-2 is the most damaging collapse in a city's history, there's no hope for you, so I won't bother pointing out the numerous comebacks that were actually impressive.

Sections
Shortcuts