53 million payable in 2013 for Ellspuff, Shane, Dumpster and Lackey! This is not a joke! Red Sox GM's really Agreed to this!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: 53 million payable in 2013 for Ellspuff, Shane, Dumpster and Lackey! This is not a joke! Red Sox GM's really Agreed to this!

I need you to start a thread that says "Folks a Plague is Upon us!"

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: 53 million payable in 2013 for Ellspuff, Shane, Dumpster and Lackey! This is not a joke! Red Sox GM's really Agreed to this!

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

The absuridty isn't the 53 million spent on 4 players, it's the players it's spent on. Anyone see a career first rate player in this list of "Who's who of MLB careers"? I didn't think so!

i love the players we are getting...give them a chance.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Noted, you love Dempster and Shane, from this list, at a cost of 26 million a year. You will be sobered with a reality check that you should already be aware of.

no i'm just not pathetic like you always crying...and yes i love victorino and dempster. noted all you want i will not change...26mil. who cares...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

it's only money...http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2012/12/money_matters

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

matters

December 21, 2012   PrintPrint EmailEmail     By Scott Lauber   @ ScottLauber View My Profile      0  0 googleplus0 reddit0    

A look at the Red Sox’ payroll commitments for 2013, with all salaries calculated for the purposes of the $178 million luxury tax:

Guaranteed contracts ($113 million): RHP John Lackey ($16.5 million), RHP Ryan Dempster ($13.25 million), DH David Ortiz ($13 million), 1B/C Mike Napoli ($13 million), RF Shane Victorino ($13 million), SS Stephen Drew ($9.5 million), RHP Clay Buchholz ($7.5 million), 2B Dustin Pedroia, ($6.80 million), LHP Jon Lester ($6 million), LF Jonny Gomes ($5 million), RHP Koji Uehara ($4.25 million), C David Ross ($3.1 million), SS Jose Iglesias ($2.1 million).

Eligible for arbitration (estimated 2013 salaries totaling $30 million): CF Jacoby Ellsbury, RHP Andrew Bailey, C Jarrod Saltalamacchia, RHP Alfredo Aceves, LHP Craig Breslow, RHP Daniel Bard, LHP Andrew Miller, LHP Franklin Morales.

Pre-arbitration (estimated 2013 salaries totaling $5 million): RHP Junichi Tazawa, INF Pedro Ciriaco, LHP Felix Doubront, C Ryan Lavarnway, RHP Mark Melancon, 3B Will Middlebrooks, RHP Clayton Mortensen, OF Daniel Nava, OF Ryan Kalish.

Additional expenses (approximately $15.5 million): Benefits ($10 million), other 40-man roster players ($1.5 million), payment to Dodgers ($3.9 million).

Total: Approximately $163.5 million

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I don't think the 2013 season will be about names...it will be about performance.  Sox FO has done what they said they would do - the payroll is not on the cheap.  The judgement will take place on the field next year.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

The absuridty isn't the 53 million spent on 4 players, it's the players it's spent on. Anyone see a career first rate player in this list of "Who's who of MLB careers"? I didn't think so!

Softy you act as if the money the Sox are paying out comes directly out of your personal bank account and not John Henry's.

Please don't use the argument that you ARE paying for these guys when you support the team by buying tickets...fact is that whether they pay Victorino and Dempster $26M or not, ticket prices would remain the same.

Considering the marketplace this offseason, the Sox have done OK getting experienced major league players to fill out the roster...fact is this...those guys are not the core players and it's those players (i.e. Pedroia, Ortiz, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, Lester, Buchholz, & Bailey that will dictate the fortunes of the 2013 Red Sox.

So I ask you, would you rather spend $26 million for 2 players or $20-25 million for one player over 5 years based on who was on the market this offseason...I'll take the 2 players on short term deals and the future flexibility that comes with it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

So I ask you, would you rather spend $26 million for 2 players or $20-25 million for one player over 5 years based on who was on the market this offseason...I'll take the 2 players on short term deals and the future flexibility that comes with it.

neither. softy wants the sox to only sign guys on 1 year, single digit deals to save Henry as much money as possible and also make sure the sox finish in the basement again and again.

he is truely pathetic

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

fact is that whether they pay Victorino and Dempster $26M or not, ticket prices would remain the same.

Fact is that the payroll is about 150 million because of bums like this. Fact is that ticket prices are a function of the biggest expense, labor costs. Fact is that signing bums like this means budget is eaten up when better value and fit is available.

The payroll in this market should have been no more than 120 million. Bums like Shane and Dempster are truly a waste of valuable resources. 5 years in those bums is embarrassing.

WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

fact is that whether they pay Victorino and Dempster $26M or not, ticket prices would remain the same.

Fact is that the payroll is about 150 million because of bums like this. Fact is that ticket prices are a function of the biggest expense, labor costs. Fact is that signing bums like this means budget is eaten up when better value and fit is available.

The payroll in this market should have been no more than 120 million. Bums like Shane and Dempster are truly a waste of valuable resources. 5 years in those bums is embarrassing.

Kids, this is your brain on Drugs!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Excuse me but the payroll that determined current ticket prices at Fenway Park has absolutely NOTHING to do with the free agent players acquired this offseason. Ticket prices are the result of 2 world championships and a highly competitive team that allowed demand to exceed supply.

The 'so-called bums' you say the Sox acquired are at least MAJOR LEAGUE bums and not the minor league scrums the Sox ended the season with in 2012. Other than Grienke & Hamilton what other players in the market this offseason was worth more than a 3 year deal?

When the time comes that a better fit at a better value comes to the forefront, I would expect the Sox to be in the middle of the negotiations, barring the value is not over 5-7 years.  Also what "bums" did the Sox invest 5 years in this offseason? Somebody is not paying very close attention.

Fact is, no matter what the Sox do you will play the contrarian and spew negativity.

Someday I would like to see you provide a list of play acquisitions you believe would fill team needs and make them better, and how long you'd invest in these acquistions... remembering that 1 or 2 year deals will not rush these guys to your door unless you are overpaying them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Guru-Meditation-. Show -Guru-Meditation-'s posts

Sections
Shortcuts