5.5 games back now what will it be at the end of May?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: 5.5 games back now what will it be at the end of May?

Do you think the hamburger I am going to fix for lunch today - while already dead - will be completely spoiled by the time it hits the griddle?
      How about the tilapia I have ready for supper - it's dead, too - but with your expectation be that it's spoiled too?

Must be wonderful to have such a sour way of looking at things.  It's tough, don't get tougher.  It's tough, just whine and quit.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

The way they played against the MinorLeague Oakland As, it would not surprise me if they were still 5.5 games out. This team looks like a .500 team at best.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

RIGHT NOW, THE SOX ARE LUCKY IF THEY CAN BEAT A GIRL'S
    SOFTBALL TEAM. THE FRONT OFFICE HAS PUT A BUNCH OF
    PATCHED UP REPLACEMENTS AND CASTOFFS ON THE FIELD
    WHO COULD NOT CUT IT WITH OTHER TEAMS, AND PAWNED
    THEM OFF AS A " MAJOR LEAGUE QUALITY SQUAD " APOLOGIES
    TO PEDEY AND PAPI. THE REST OF THE SQUAD IS GODAWFUL.
    SWEENEY TRIES...I'LL GIVE HIM THAT. THE REST.......HOLD
    YOUR NOSE !!! ADRIAN GONZALEZ CAN SHAKE HANDS WITH
    TEXEIRA ON THE YANKEES...THEY BOTH STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN.
    AGON SHOWS ABSOLUTELY NO EMOTION...HE LOOKS AWFUL
    AND WE PAID WHAT ???? OVER 120 MILLION. WHATTA JOKE !
    HE CAN'T EVEN GET THE BALL OUT OF THE INFIELD.
    I GOTTA AGREE WITH POSTER TEDDY BASEBALL. WE ARE AWFUL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The way this season has gone, who knows? They could either be tied for first or eight games out ... neither would surprise me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to 5.5 games back now what will it be at the end of May?:
    I am guessing between 10 and 15 and hope I am wrong. But with the team we throw out there we are very lucky to be 5.5 right now. It is shocking that with our payroll we have zero consistant pitchers and 4 guys who play the field that should be out there (given our payroll). We may not see Ells or Crawfish for a long while and who cares about Craw. We are now signing pitchers who have not pitched since 06. Josh may need some time on DL which will not matter much but might impact morale amongst other throwers. If you are honest and project forward based on the guys we throw out there it is real scary. Thank God for the twins.
    Posted by teddybaseball009

5.5 OCHO CINCO

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

To be honest, I think I said something like the OP last year--basically, that you can lose the pennant race early if you let the leaders get too far ahead. 

So I am reluctant to get too excited this early--again.  Right now the bullpen is looking pretty decent with 29 innings in 10 games, giving up just 2 runs.   The starting pitching is a problem, but definitely has potential, especially with Cook and later Matsuzaka available. 

The lineup has been surprisingly productive despite missing almost-AL-MVP Ells, Carl Crawford, and the real Youk.  Outfield production has actually been pretty good, and the catching too.  AGon is in a small slump, but I doubt he will stay there.  Ortiz has been incredible, and Pedey Pedey. 

That said, the Rays are playing very good ball and the Yankees cannot be counted out.  I would love to see Sweeney and Ross (and even Byrd) continue to smack the ball, but I'm worried they might revert to norm.  I think hankwilliamsjr vastly overstates the importance of offense on a team with the 2d worst ERA in the AL, but I also think the Sox have to hit and score runs to win. This pitching staff at its best is in the middle, with luck an ERA of around 4 or so. The Yankees are in the same situation, but with fewer injuries to their lineup.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I thought the Sox were going to 11-4 but they still can go 9-3 over the next 12 assuming at some point Gonzalez gets a hit. If he had a hit in the 7th the Sox would won that game by a large margin.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In Response to Re: 5.5 games back now what will it be at the end of May?:
    The way they played against the MinorLeague Oakland As, it would not surprise me if they were still 5.5 games out. This team looks like a .500 team at best.
    Posted by AL34
    I agree AL.  This team will be middle of the pack at best.  The triple A Oakland team takes 2 of 3 at Fenway.  DISCUSTING.  If you are a good team you take advantage of the weak parts of your schedule.  This team is not a good team they are average this year to date.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

You can dismiss the A's all you want, but McCarthy is for real, and Jarrod Parker is a top prospect.  There's no shame losing to those two, and when the pitching is not top caliber, we destroy it, and I don't see any top caliber pitching on the horizon.  That should also help kick-start this offense.  My guess is 2 games in back of the Rays, in second place, by the end of May.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

If your team goes 2-6 to start the season and your main rival goes 6-2 it is quite reasonable to believe in July the same rival team will go 2-6 while your team goes 7-1.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

The way this season has gone, who knows? They could either be tied for first or eight games out ... neither would surprise me.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Nailed it!!!!

It truly is anybody's guess????

ZERO dependable starting pitching!  1 - 5 we don't have a dependable #3 pitchers.  Forget about a decent #2!  Bard & Dubront obviously get some "young SP growing pains" leeway, but Beckett, Lester, & Buch are completely undependable.

THE BIG QUESTION???  How can this franchise, with all the money they have thrown at SP, consistently field unreliable, & undisciplined Starting pitchers.  WHY ARE THESE GUYS CONSISTENTLY UNDERPERFORMING, when it's clear they have the stuff to compete at a very high level???? WHY? 

To me...... IMO......  It's ALL ABOUT the mental game!!!  Injuries or not, it's clear this is a systemic problem!  In fact, injuries (IMO) are simply another indicator of a lack of discipline, dedication, & mental toughness!

Beckett, Lester, Lackey, & Dice K are ALL VERY NEGATIVE guys who have sucked this entire pitching staff down.  It started the minute Lackey came to Boston.  The HOT HEAD, poor me, excuse making, they're all against us so s c rew them mentality that that has been KILLING this team for the past 3 years.  One only needs to have watched Lester & his HOT HEAD, LOSE IT over the slightest bad call BS since Lackey arrived.  Beckett, Lackey, & Dice K have all but RUINED what should be a #1 starter in Lester!  Buch is simply too young & dumb to have been lumped into the "bad attitude" category, BUT I think the lack of a ROLE MODEL has cost him dearly!  These injuries are DIRECTLY ATTRIBUTABLE to the lack of discipline & preparation COMING INTO SPRING TRAINING over the last 3 years.  Tito let these guys feel entitled & they quit REALLY WORKING to make sure they were in TOP shape.  IN FACT, this lack of discipline in preparation is clearly systemic with the position players as well.  "THE INJURY BUG" spreads when the TEAM let's their immune system run down.  The immune system is COMING TO CAMP IN TOP SHAPE!

There is NO MYSTERY to the UNIVERSAL UNDERPERFORMING with this team!!!  NONE!  It's inexcusable that the Red Sox have been using April as their "get in playing shape" time over the last 3 years!

I hate to say it, but this team may have to be blown up after this season. 

The good news......  With all the inherent talent on this team, we still have the ability to go on a ML RUN, with both pitching & hitting.  I think we'll hang around, but it's gonna be brutal to watch for many stretches!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

To be honest, I think I said something like the OP last year--basically, that you can lose the pennant race early if you let the leaders get too far ahead.  So I am reluctant to get too excited this early--again.  Right now the bullpen is looking pretty decent with 29 innings in 10 games, giving up just 2 runs.   The starting pitching is a problem, but definitely has potential, especially with Cook and later Matsuzaka available.  The lineup has been surprisingly productive despite missing almost-AL-MVP Ells, Carl Crawford, and the real Youk.  Outfield production has actually been pretty good, and the catching too.  AGon is in a small slump, but I doubt he will stay there.  Ortiz has been incredible, and Pedey Pedey.  That said, the Rays are playing very good ball and the Yankees cannot be counted out.  I would love to see Sweeney and Ross (and even Byrd) continue to smack the ball, but I'm worried they might revert to norm.  I think hankwilliamsjr vastly overstates the importance of offense on a team with the 2d worst ERA in the AL, but I also think the Sox have to hit and score runs to win. This pitching staff at its best is in the middle, with luck an ERA of around 4 or so. The Yankees are in the same situation, but with fewer injuries to their lineup.
    Posted by maxbialystock

I said that immediately after they lost their first 5 and I said it again this year.  It's way too tough a division to start giving games away in April. It leaves you very little margin for error the rest of the way and any additional slips and you will be battling to stay above .500

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

As with last season's team, this iteration of the Sox are extremely streaky.

I wonder if this happens with Women's softball teams where all the women on the team have their periods at the same time.  Except his team's streaks (no pun intended) are on a much shorter cycle.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

End of May?

I think the end of September should be the concern. May through August were VERY good last year, and all for naught.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

5 1/2 back? How about the fact that they haven't left last place since Day 1????

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The injury to the late, great Mo does changes things.  Sox have a real opportunity to get into the playoffs - If Ellsbury can get back soon and if one of the starters pans out (Dice K, Cook) - they can make a move to add a reliever if Bailey doesn't come back..........but......it all starts now and it all starts tonight.  They simply have to send a message to the O's Tonight.  These are the guys who ended their season.  I'm giving them one last chance to show me the  "eye of the tiger" before I push the BIG RED REBUILD BUTTON on them.......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think hankwilliamsjr overstates the issues with offense, but I will also say the "big five" from last year--Ells, Pedey, Youk, AGon, and Papi--ain't that great this year. Four of the five are worse or much worst than last year.   Ortiz is going great guns.  Pedey is good, but not as good as he has been.  Ells is out.  Youk is out.  And AGon is stuggling, hitting .250.  So far the outfielders have filled in pretty well, catchers are hitting, Aviles is hitting, etc.  So the overall run production is good.  But there may be something to the argument that the Sox can only hit weak pitching. 

The bullpen, as previously stated, seems to be in good shape.  10 straight solid games.  If we could say that about the starters, the Sox would be in first place in the AL East. 

Starting pitching is a concern until proven otherwise.  Lester tonight--another good game and he will be back.  Beckett is now in the doubtul category.  Buchholz threatens to disintegrate.  The rookie starters are OK for now.  But the Sox need the starters to act like real Big League starters, holding teams to 3 or fewer runs and going 7 innings. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Posted by AL34

Still 5.5 out? You are giving them credit saying they will have the same record as the Rays. Ha.  10 or 11 games out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Posted by LloydDobler

What have the Red Sox shown you that says they are as good as the Rays and a playoff caliber team in general?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

You can dismiss the A's all you want, but McCarthy is for real, and Jarrod Parker is a top prospect.  There's no shame losing to those two, and when the pitching is not top caliber, we destroy it, and I don't see any top caliber pitching on the horizon.  That should also help kick-start this offense.  My guess is 2 games in back of the Rays, in second place, by the end of May.
    Posted by slomag

slomag - You are a dreamer. Losing to McCarthy and Parker is no shame? At home? Regardless of how they pitch, they are the worst hitting team in baseball. If there's a way to get a hold of you, I would love to wager you on the 2 games back in 2nd place. I'll even give you 3 games to make it 5. 
    Beckett
    Lester
    Buchholz
    Doubront
    Bard

vs. 

Price
    Shields
    Moore
    Hellickson
    Niemann

Rodney
    Howell
    W. Davis

Pitching wins right?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox are now 6 games back after the Rays outscored the Mariners by a combined five runs in completing a four-game sweep in St. Pete.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DarkFenX89. Show DarkFenX89's posts

In Response to Re: 5.5 games back now what will it be at the end of May? : What have the Red Sox shown you that says they are as good as the Rays and a playoff caliber team in general?
    Posted by ADG

The fact that we took 3 out of 4 from them and two of those wins were blowouts.

Sections
Shortcuts