56 in Jeopardy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

56 in Jeopardy?

If anyone can break Joe D's record, its Pedey.
    What do you think? Does he have a realistic shot?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

Re: 56 in Jeopardy?

In Response to 56 in Jeopardy?:
    If anyone can break Joe D's record, its Pedey. What do you think? Does he have a realistic shot?
    Posted by Alibiike

LOL...not a chance.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

yeah, it today's world with the adjustments pitchers make the odds are less than what they were back then.  realistically if a player was that hot eventually he's going to get walked a lot more as pitchers pitch around him increasing the likelihood of going at least a game without a hit. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Pedroia is in a good spot for getting pitches to hit with A-Gon and Youk behind him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Alibi Ike, why the need to start a thread that is designed to initiate a pizzing contest between Yankee fans and Sox fans. Many on the forum are very skeptical that you are indeed a legitimate Red Sox fan. Are you really a closet Yankee fan who is starting a thread that your Yankee buddies will flock to? The DiMaggio hitting streak was discussed into the ground on a thread a few months ago and we grew bored by it. Let's stop beating dead horses. As a Red Sox fan why not start threads that Yankee fans have no interest in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The thread was "Comparing Ted Williams .406 to DiMaggio's hitting game streak and ran for two months. A long, useless, boring pizzing contest and nobody learned anything from it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: 56 in Jeopardy?:
    yeah, it today's world with the adjustments pitchers make the odds are less than what they were back then.  realistically if a player was that hot eventually he's going to get walked a lot more as pitchers pitch around him increasing the likelihood of going at least a game without a hit. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

I wonder, does going 0 for 0 count as a game without a hit? Seems to me you have to record an AB for it to count as going hitless.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

Alibi Ike, why the need to start a thread that is designed to initiate a pizzing contest between Yankee fans and Sox fans. Many on the forum are very skeptical that you are indeed a legitimate Red Sox fan. Are you really a closet Yankee fan who is starting a thread that your Yankee buddies will flock to? The DiMaggio hitting streak was discussed into the ground on a thread a few months ago and we grew bored by it. Let's stop beating dead horses. As a Red Sox fan why not start threads that Yankee fans have no interest in.
    Posted by Your-Echo

Once again we have pike telling people what they are allowed to post.

Hey pike, why not try something different and actually post something about baseball. I know that's a novel idea on a baseball chat site.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

OK, go to the Will Middlebrooks thread.http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3ad1984a09-7b05-467d-be52-13c187662fa0

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

where does DP stand at the moment?...i don't think anyone will use the word 'jeopardy' until he got into say the mid 40's...it could happen, this game is such a grind though, we are approaching August, he'll need to get really hot..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Well, its not impossible.. improbable?. yes.. but if anyone can, Pedey can..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Pedroia is in a good spot for getting pitches to hit with A-Gon and Youk behind him.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Good observation. As good as Pedey has been, I don't think breaking the 56 game record is realistic for him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Well, its not impossible.. improbable?. yes.. but if anyone can, Pedey can..
    Posted by southpaw777

not AGone?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

This record will never break, at least not in our lifetimes.  That's a crazy record.

But Williams holds a unique one, too.  84 consecutive games on base.  No one has come close to that, either. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

This record will never break, at least not in our lifetimes.  That's a crazy record. But Williams holds a unique one, too.  84 consecutive games on base.  No one has come close to that, either. 
    Posted by soups
     hey Soups, as much as i appreciate this record being held by a Yankee player, in my lifetime, i'd really like to see a double run at this one, much like Mantle/Maris @ 61 and Brett/Cooper..@.400

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

It will happen when a Yanqui hits .406

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

It will happen when a Yanqui hits .406
    Posted by boboinfla

Last I checked hitting .406 is not a record.

Not to mention that Williams is the only member of the .400+ club to not have 200 hits in a season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: 56 in Jeopardy? : Last I checked hitting .406 is not a record. Not to mention that Williams is the only member of the .400+ club to not have 200 hits in a season.
    Posted by -The--Babe----------

Williams couldn't reach 200 hits because he got so many walks though.  That year he had 147 walks and a .553 OBP.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

In Response to Re: 56 in Jeopardy? : Williams couldn't reach 200 hits because he got so many walks though.  That year he had 147 walks and a .553 OBP.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Understood. Just suprised he never got to 200. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In Response to Re: 56 in Jeopardy? : Understood. Just suprised he never got to 200. 

Ted has the highest on base percentage of all time- at least from non juiced players. Yes .406 is not a record. I stand by my thread that a Yanqui will not hit .406 and do realize that 56 is unreachable. Ted's .406 is not a record, but it has stood the test for 70 years. His BA was higher than Joe D during the streak.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

In Response to Re: 56 in Jeopardy? : Ted has the highest on base percentage of all time- at least from non juiced players. Yes .406 is not a record. I stand by my thread that a Yanqui will not hit .406 and do realize that 56 is unreachable. Ted's .406 is not a record, but it has stood the test for 70 years. His BA was higher than Joe D during the streak.
    Posted by boboinfla

But Joe D got the MVP and won the WS, the latter of which Williams never did.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In Response to Re: 56 in Jeopardy? : But Joe D got the MVP and won the WS, the latter of which Williams never did.

JoeD never won a triple crown and was a horrible human being who wouldn't even talk to Dom when he was ill. OTOH, Ted was a very likable man in his elderly years. Fortunately, I met him several times since he lived nearby and was very accessble.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

In Response to Re: 56 in Jeopardy? : JoeD never won a triple crown and was a horrible human being who wouldn't even talk to Dom when he was ill. OTOH, Ted was a very likable man in his elderly years. Fortunately, I met him several times since he lived nearby and was very accessble.
    Posted by boboinfla

LOL....I'm sure Ted would gladly trade his triple crown for Joe D's rings. Not to mention that Ted was widely regarded as a nasty human being. He may have softened a little in his later years but he was hardly regarded as a likeable man.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In Response to Re: 56 in Jeopardy? : I wonder, does going 0 for 0 count as a game without a hit? Seems to me you have to record an AB for it to count as going hitless.
    Posted by Alibiike

I am not positive, but I am pretty sure he needs to have an AB, so in your scenerio, the streak would stay alive.  I remember hearing that once, when someone was on a streak

Sections
Shortcuts