6/14 Game Thread: Wakefield vs. Shields

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

Re: 6/14 Game Thread: Wakefield vs. Shields

Pathetic offensive performance tonight. Still haven't beaten TB this year which is inexcusable given everything they lost in the off-season. Need to win the series.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LondonRedSox. Show LondonRedSox's posts

Frown

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: 6/14 Game Thread: Wakefield vs. Shields:
    [QUOTE]Pathetic offensive performance tonight. Still haven't beaten TB this year which is inexcusable given everything they lost in the off-season. Need to win the series.
    Posted by CMHBOSOX[/QUOTE]

You're statement is a bit over the top.

It's not embarrassing to be shut down by Shields. He's one of the top pitchers in baseball. And it's not like they routed the Sox pitching. Wake pitched very good -- 2 runs, just one earned, in seven innings. 

This isn't a bad loss.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

Sorry, we'll just have to agree to disagree. We've lit this guy up through the years. Even though he's had a solid start to this season, I don't consider him elite/a stopper. I consider him slightly above average. In our rotation, he'd be a number four, at best. We had chances early to get to him and didn't do it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry, we'll just have to agree to disagree. We've lit this guy up through the years. Even though he's had a solid start to this season, I don't consider him elite/a stopper. I consider him slightly above average. In our rotation, he'd be a number four, at best. We had chances early to get to him and didn't do it.

That's baseball. The Sox won nine in a row. You're not going to win them all. So losing to a guy like Shields who's having a good year isn't an inexcusable loss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

No O = loss; Timmy did his job; Next time score some runs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Hey, you don't win 'em all in this game. The Sox just ran into a buzz saw tonight named Shields, a pretty darn good pitcher. New streak starts tomorrow. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Shields has three complete game shutouts and four complete games total.  No one else has done that this year, certainly no Sox starter has even come close. He is well on his way to becoming an elite pitcher. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Hard not to be a dominant pitcher when you get guys swinging at balls in the dirt. I never was a big fan of off days when a team is streaking and tonight's game was a good example of that, most of the team looked to "Rested". I don't have any idea why Ells didn't try to steal in either of his two trips to first? Anyway tomorrow is another day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Wake sure deserved a win tonight!  Pitched great AGAIN!

Hey!  You gotta give Shields props!!!  The kid pitched a hell of a game.

One minor point of order!  HE MADE our guys look bad!  They weren't just swinging at "bad pitches!"  They were swinging at pitches that WERE looking good.  That's just great pitching!

Often times, GREAT pitching is going to beat really good hitting.

Too bad, 'cause Wake pitched an excellent game too! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Sorry!  Guess it's been covered :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

What a crash, it's a rock bottom evening folks when we get shut out by the devil dawgs in a domed stadium

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

If Youk or Pedroia hit tonight the Sox win.  That's the way it goes.  Andrew Miller is coming up to join rotation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

In his previous six starts against Tampa Bay, Timmy had a 7.26 ERA in 31 innings, but he looked nothing like that tonight, dazzling from start to finish. His knuckleball moved so much the normally sure-handed Salty was charged with two passed balls. It was a shame the red sox bats provided zero support. Now Timmy gets replaced in the rotation by Miller.  Maybe Timmy can bump the shakey lackey.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]From Juggernaut's to have nots.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Yip, and it's a bad sign to have this happen in the first game of a series against Tampa Bay. Means it probably won't be the only loss they suffer here, unfortunately. I've been wrong before, hopefully I'm wrong this time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Sorry, we'll just have to agree to disagree. We've lit this guy up through the years. Even though he's had a solid start to this season, I don't consider him elite/a stopper. I consider him slightly above average. In our rotation, he'd be a number four, at best. We had chances early to get to him and didn't do it.

Correct.

5 walks, wild pitch, and smoke and mirrors warning track balls against one of the weakest offenses in baseball is not "great pitching". Wakefield deserved the loss, to detract from the wins he did not deserve. Youth should pitch against Shields, not some 45 year old man.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

One earned run on a cheap dinger down the line.
    Goes to show who does and who doesn't watch these games...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

I watched the game, and saw the hammered balls just barely miss homer or extra base status. At the end of the day 2 runs was a miracle against one of the weakest offenses in baseball. Tito needs to make sure he gives Wastefield the ball in 5 days, which will be his first 3 in 15. He's going to do down unless they put him on ice and in traction. He does not belong out there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

"Tito needs to make sure he gives Wastefield the ball in 5 days, which will be his first 3 in 15. He's going to do down unless they put him on ice and in traction."

Yes, and Tito should also make sure he asks Gonzalez to steal at every opportunity so we can see how slow he is.  It is, of course, a manager's job to show us what each player's weakness is ... not to win as many games as possible, right?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]Hey, you don't win 'em all in this game. The Sox just ran into a buzz saw tonight named Shields, a pretty darn good pitcher. New streak starts tomorrow. 

Posted by soxdawg08[/QUOTE]

Hopefully a new streak was started last night......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry, we'll just have to agree to disagree. We've lit this guy up through the years. Even though he's had a solid start to this season, I don't consider him elite/a stopper. I consider him slightly above average. In our rotation, he'd be a number four, at best. We had chances early to get to him and didn't do it.
    We've lit him up from time to time at Fenway, but he's owned us at the Trop. In his last six home starts against the Sox, he's 5-1 with a 1.75 ERA. And he's averaged 7 2/3 IP in those starts.

I knew we were in trouble going in last night because for whatever reason, we cannot hit that guy there.

As always, let's not make more of it than it is.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry, we'll just have to agree to disagree. We've lit this guy up through the years. Even though he's had a solid start to this season, I don't consider him elite/a stopper. I consider him slightly above average. In our rotation, he'd be a number four, at best. We had chances early to get to him and didn't do it. Correct. 5 walks, wild pitch, and smoke and mirrors warning track balls against one of the weakest offenses in baseball is not "great pitching". Wakefield deserved the loss, to detract from the wins he did not deserve. Youth should pitch against Shields, not some 45 year old man.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]
    Jeeze, you're clueless.