6 Man Rotation rears its ugly ahead yet again....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: 6 Man Rotation rears its ugly ahead yet again....

5 man rotation has been astonishingly resilient for decades.  Almost every MLB team carries 12 pitchers, so occasionally going with 6 starters shouldn't be a big deal.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I've always wondered why a team didn't try a six man/five day rotation. Like when you have someone like Dice K who can't ever get past the fifth inning because of his pitch count, and Wakefield who is almost unhitable til he suddenly breaks down in the sixth? Use them both for half a game, they might both end up effective.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Why blame Ben C., & Larry, all they did was listen to most on this board, who were calling for NO BIG CONTRACTS, value signings on the cheap w\ few years, & go with the kids???  They tried to catch lightning in a bottle again, just as most here wanted, & now you blame them?  The value signings, kids, & vets suckked, and let us all down, so now you want to blame them for giving you what you wanted????  They now seem to be playing decent ball, albeit too little too late.

As for Farrell?  Nothing he's done or not done has made a discernable difference.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

There was a time not too log ago when the 4-man rotation was very common.  Earl Weaver, for example, always used the 4-man rotation because he felt “it was easier to find 4 good pitchers than to find 5.”  Ah, back when men were men and arm troubles ended careers.

I don’t think it would be necessary to increase the roster size with a 6-man rotation, as teams could simply carry one less reliever.  Ideally, if you have more starters, they eat more IP, meaning the bullpen might be used less often.  As it stands now, non-closing relievers pitch about one third of a team’s innings all season.  That total could be lessened if teams use extra starters, allowing for longer rests in between starts.

However, a much simpler way to alleviate strain on the starters would be to use the actual strike zone in the rules and actually call strikes.  Pitchers would throw fewer pitches per start, and the end result would be pretty much exactly what Darvish is calling for…

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i think we should just have brock holt be the SP for every remaining game this season.....

other names i have posted under:  none

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

It's kind of sad really that these starting pitchers are on pitch counts, have, at least, 4 days off between starts, now are in need of a 6th starter, so they can have 5 days off between starts. In football when the league changes rules to protect the QB, many fans yell out "those guys should wear dresses." I disagree, it's ML pitchers who should wear the dresses. Not all, but most.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There was a time not too log ago when the 4-man rotation was very common.  Earl Weaver, for example, always used the 4-man rotation because he felt “it was easier to find 4 good pitchers than to find 5.”  Ah, back when men were men and arm troubles ended careers.

I don’t think it would be necessary to increase the roster size with a 6-man rotation, as teams could simply carry one less reliever.  Ideally, if you have more starters, they eat more IP, meaning the bullpen might be used less often.  As it stands now, non-closing relievers pitch about one third of a team’s innings all season.  That total could be lessened if teams use extra starters, allowing for longer rests in between starts.

However, a much simpler way to alleviate strain on the starters would be to use the actual strike zone in the rules and actually call strikes.  Pitchers would throw fewer pitches per start, and the end result would be pretty much exactly what Darvish is calling for…

[/QUOTE]

a lot of good points

but I disagree with your last one

I think darvish with some merit was thinking/pushing an extra rest day to heal

rather than less pitches/innings per start

IMO there is a difference

then again I thought I read something about japan throwing  more on off days

not sure what the answer is but some thing needs to be done

it's not just a MLB problem

kids R getting TJ B4 they R old enough 2 B drafted

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks again BDC for a wonderful web-site !!!! Worry less about posters calling Bill a nerd and more about the technical issues...

If you Google Yu Darvish 6 Man you can find the article I was trying to link.

[/QUOTE]I BEG YOUR PARDON !!!!     AS MOM WOULD SAY.......  "THATS MY SON YOUR TALKING ABOUT"  !!!

Sections
Shortcuts