6 Sox prospects among Top100 ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: 6 Sox prospects among Top100 ...

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Arnie Beyeler who's managed Iglesias since they were both in Portland loves the kid. He says he works harder at hitting than any prospect he's managed and that his hand eye coordination coupled with his tremendous work ethic will eventually carry him to an Omar Vizquel type career at the plate.

Sounds great, but he needs to do it enough to impress Ben.

I think this year in Pawtucket will be the one that determines whether Jose will stay with the organization. Best case scenario is that Drew, Iglesias and Bogaerts are all tearing it up at the trading deadline. Drew gets flipped for a good prospect or two and Jose and Xander both get promoted.

If Drew is "tearing it up", we should extend him and flip Iggy.

If Iggy is tearing it up in AAA, he will have a ton of trade value.  I prefer players who are tearing it up in the majors over players that tear it up in the minors.  Mauro Gomez tears it up in the minors.  As did Willy Mo Pena and Izzy Alcantara.

Why would you extend Drew when you have Bogaerts, Vinicio, Marrerro and Lin coming up through the minor leagues? And good major leaguers generally have more trade value than even exceptional minor leaguers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Arnie Beyeler who's managed Iglesias since they were both in Portland loves the kid. He says he works harder at hitting than any prospect he's managed and that his hand eye coordination coupled with his tremendous work ethic will eventually carry him to an Omar Vizquel type career at the plate.

I think this year in Pawtucket will be the one that determines whether Jose will stay with the organization. Best case scenario is that Drew, Iglesias and Bogaerts are all tearing it up at the trading deadline. Drew gets flipped for a good prospect or two and Jose and Xander both get promoted.

If Iggy is tearing it up in AAA, he will have a ton of trade value.  I prefer players who are tearing it up in the majors over players that tear it up in the minors.  Mauro Gomez tears it up in the minors.  As did Willy Mo Pena and Izzy Alcantara.

Why would you extend Drew when you have Bogaerts, Vinicio, Marrerro and Lin coming up through the minor leagues? And good major leaguers generally have more trade value than even exceptional minor leaguers.

The best hope is that Drew has a huge year, we offer him a qualifying offer, he refuses, we get a draft pick and have an Iggy or Boggy ready to step up to the bigs and more SSs behind them making strides as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

also need to mention, if Iggy is a 70 with the glove and 20 with the bat...Vinicio is a 60 with the glove and 30 with the bat. he's only 19 years old

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Because none of the guys you mentioned have proven they can play at the big league level.  Meanwhile, if Drew has a breakout year, he has proven that he can be an all-star at the major legue level.

I dont want to paint myself into a corner though.  There are many other factors that should be considered.

For example, if Ells walks (almost definately), Papi is washed up after 2013, and neitehr Buchh nor Lester rebound...then it may be a good idea to go young and rebuild.  It also depends on how Iggy, Boegarts, Vincio, Marerro do in the minors.

Im just saying that the position has been in flux for a while.  And if you have a 30 yr old who can play the position offensively and defensively, I wouldnt be quick to move him out of the way to make room for prospects.  Every team has prospects.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

also need to mention, if Iggy is a 70 with the glove and 20 with the bat...Vinicio is a 60 with the glove and 30 with the bat. he's only 19 years old

With Marrero and Lin, I'm not sure any other team has 5 SSs on the farm that match ours. (Along with Bogaerts, Iggy and Vinicio)... 6 if you count Holt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

The best hope is that Drew has a huge year, we offer him a qualifying offer, he refuses, we get a draft pick and have an Iggy or Boggy ready to step up to the bigs and more SSs behind them making strides as well.

See , I disagree.  Best hope is Drew has a huge year, falls in love with Boston, we give him a QO.  He rejects, but then has no luck on the open market because no one wants to part w the pick (like LaRoche), which hurts his value and gives the RS leverage.  Then we sign him to a 3 yr / 27 M contract.  That expires when he is 33.  Drew bats .290 over those 3 yrs w/ 18 HRs per (OPS .820) and plays good D giving us excellent value from a dollar for dollar standpoint.

We then move Boegarts to LF and trade Iggy (who hit .300 in AAA) w/ a couple of other prospects for an ace.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

With Marrero and Lin, I'm not sure any other team has 5 SSs on the farm that match ours. (Along with Bogaerts, Iggy and Vinicio)... 6 if you count Holt.

http://www.scoutingbook.com/prospects/ss

If Boegarts doesnt stick at SS, we drop all the wya down to 19 at the position.  This also doesnt include young SS who are already in the majors (Everyth Cabrera, Elvis Andrus)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

If Boegarts doesnt stick at SS, we drop all the wya down to 19 at the position.  This also doesnt include young SS who are already in the majors (Everyth Cabrera, Elvis Andrus)

Marrerro will be 23 this year won't he?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, in August.

Iggy just turned 23.

Lin turns 19 in 2 weeks.

Vinicio turns 20 in July.

Bogaerts 21 in October.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

#19 ranked SS prospect (Iggy).  Not age.  Sorry.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I read that Yovanni Gallardo may become available at some poitn this year.  Pitchers like that only come around once every couple of years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I read that Yovanni Gallardo may become available at some poitn this year.  Pitchers like that only come around once every couple of years.

who?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

What makes you think the Brew Crew would move him? Not that I would mind seeing him in the home whites mind you. I wouldn't mind seeing Ben put together a package to get Gerrit Cole or Jameson Taillon from the Pirates either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

who?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gallayo01-pitch.shtml

me likey

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

What makes you think the Brew Crew would move him? Not that I would mind seeing him in the home whites mind you. I wouldn't mind seeing Ben put together a package to get Gerrit Cole or Jameson Taillon from the Pirates either.

I dont have a good answer for this.  He's affordable through 2015, 26 years old, gets a ton of Ks.  Personally, I wouldnt trade him (for the same reasons I would love to trade for him).  However, I remember reading that he could become available if Brewers fall out of contention.  Corey hart just had knee surgery, which is a huge blow.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I dont have a good answer for this.  He's affordable through 2015, 26 years old, gets a ton of Ks.  Personally, I wouldnt trade him (for the same reasons I would love to trade for him).  However, I remember reading that he could become available if Brewers fall out of contention.  Corey hart just had knee surgery, which is a huge blow.

and if we're in it by the trade deadline and the Brewers are looking to sell then he could be a great pickup for the stretch run.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

and if we're in it by the trade deadline and the Brewers are looking to sell then he could be a great pickup for the stretch run.

Absolutely.  Just be prepared to give up a lot.  This is a #1 pitcher who is 26 years old and signed to an affordable contract.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Absolutely.  Just be prepared to give up a lot.  This is a #1 pitcher who is 26 years old and signed to an affordable contract.

A #1 pitcher is exactly who you give up a lot for. Either that or a force of nature for the middle of your lineup(i.e. Manny Ramirez, Miggy Cabrera or Giancarlo Stanton). That's why all the talk about J Upton never made sense to me, as he's neither.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

A #1 pitcher is exactly who you give up a lot for. Either that or a force of nature for the middle of your lineup(i.e. Manny Ramirez, Miggy Cabrera or Giancarlo Stanton). That's why all the talk about J Upton never made sense to me, as he's neither.

+1 give up whoever you have to to get a #1.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He'd be a great get. He's pretty cheap too, contractually wise.

13:$7.75M, 14:$11.25M, 15:$13M club option ($0.6M buyout)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Marrero sure looks like a ball player but the numbers aren't all that encouraging. Slick fielding talent though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'd rather have the situation in Texas with Profar breathing down Andrus's neck. Now that is a good SS situation. The Cubs have some depth there if I remember correctly also.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Which one(s) of these prospects have the best chance at cracking next year's top 100 prospect list?

Brentz

Cecchini

Marrero

Vinicio

B Johnson

de la Cruz

P Light

T Buttrey

M Margot

F Montas

J Callahan

S Mercedes

T Shaw

C Vazquez

T-W Lin

C Kukuk

B Jacobs

Cecchini

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

That contract looks almost identical to Jon Lesters the last 3 years

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

That contract looks almost identical to Jon Lesters the last 3 years

He's only 26 and has had 185, 185, 207 and 204 IP the last 4 years with MIL.

He has had a K rate over 9 for 4 straight years (9.2 career).

Consistent ERA: 3.73, 3.84, 3.52, 3.66.  (3.63 career)

WHIP is not great, but pretty level over 4 yrs: 1.31, 1.37, 1.21, 1.30

WHIP by month: all between 1.25 and 1.35

Career .695 OPS against (.668 vs RHBs/.724 vs LHBs), .656 RISP, .639 High Leverage, and .617 Late & Close.

Sections
Shortcuts