6 Sox prospects among Top100 ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: 6 Sox prospects among Top100 ...

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to BMav's comment:

Or from a Red Sox perspective, would you trade Bogaerts for Cecchini and Webster? 

No. I wouldn't trade him for Bradley and Cecchini either.

Exactly.

And, I probably like Cecchini more than many here.

No, I think he is legit.  He looks like Mueller type hitter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

FWIW, it's interesting to note that the trolls that come into this site every day to pour their hatred on the RS, never come into threads like this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to BMav's comment:

Or from a Red Sox perspective, would you trade Bogaerts for Cecchini and Webster? 

No. I wouldn't trade him for Bradley and Cecchini either.

Exactly.

And, I probably like Cecchini more than many here.

No, I think he is legit.  He looks like Mueller type hitter.

Right now, and I know its really too early to tell, but Cecchini looks to be similar to Joe Mauer with his hitting. High OBP, high AVG and minimal power for a big kid.

Once he can prove himself in AA then we'll start to see what hes really all about...

I like what Ive seen so far though...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Right now, and I know its really too early to tell, but Cecchini looks to be similar to Joe Mauer with his hitting. High OBP, high AVG and minimal power for a big kid.

Once he can prove himself in AA then we'll start to see what hes really all about...

He's got nice baserunning skills as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yes he does. For a kid who isnt your typical base stealer and has just above average speed, the amount of bases stolen might suggest that hes a very smart base runner.

But again, its single A ball and the catchers arent as good, nor the pitching. That, and Most A-ball pitchers concentrate more on the batter and not the base runner...

Thats not to take anything away from the kid. Like Ive said all along, lets see how he does in AA where the competition is noticeably better...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Yes he does. For a kid who isnt your typical base stealer and has just above average speed, the amount of bases stolen might suggest that hes a very smart base runner.

But again, its single A ball and the catchers arent as good, nor the pitching. That, and Most A-ball pitchers concentrate more on the batter and not the base runner...

Thats not to take anything away from the kid. Like Ive said all along, lets see how he does in AA where the competition is noticeably better...

Yes, he has a long way to go, but I think he's going to shine.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I recently read (dont remember the article i read it in) that the RS asked the netherlands NOT to play Xander in the OF during the WBC. seems like they have no intentions of moving him out of the IF (a positional change is still a possibility)

EDIT: found it

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/02/why_xander_boga.html

pretty good read actually. It seems pete and i feel the same way about XBs future at the SS position.

this is a couple paragraphs from the article that echos my view on our top prospect:

"The idea of having a 21-year-old, cost-controlled budding All-Star at shortstop should appeal to any Red Sox fan. Shortstop is a premium position, why waste a talent like Bogaerts somewhere else? Why throw an obstacle in his development path by having him change positions?

To be sure, circumstances could change. Bogaerts could get heavier and perhaps lose a step defensively. Maybe Iglesias will discover the ability to hit this season and force his way into the majors. Perhaps Marrero will blossom into a premier prospect in his first full professional season.

But let those things happen on their own, if they happen at all. Bogaerts is generally regarded as one of the top 10 prospects in the game. Let him decide whether he can play shortstop in the majors and leave it to somebody else to adjust. If he's that good, the Sox will have a foundation player for a decade. It's hard to do better than that."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Yes, he has a long way to go, but I think he's going to shine.

yeah, I also have that same feeling about him...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

I recently read (dont remember the article i read it in) that the RS asked the netherlands NOT to play Xander in the OF during the WBC. seems like they have no intentions of moving him out of the IF (a positional change is still a possibility)

EDIT: found it

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/02/why_xander_boga.html

pretty good read actually. It seems pete and i feel the same way about XBs future at the SS position.

this is a couple paragraphs from the article that echos my view on our top prospect:

"The idea of having a 21-year-old, cost-controlled budding All-Star at shortstop should appeal to any Red Sox fan. Shortstop is a premium position, why waste a talent like Bogaerts somewhere else? Why throw an obstacle in his development path by having him change positions?

To be sure, circumstances could change. Bogaerts could get heavier and perhaps lose a step defensively. Maybe Iglesias will discover the ability to hit this season and force his way into the majors. Perhaps Marrero will blossom into a premier prospect in his first full professional season.

But let those things happen on their own, if they happen at all. Bogaerts is generally regarded as one of the top 10 prospects in the game. Let him decide whether he can play shortstop in the majors and leave it to somebody else to adjust. If he's that good, the Sox will have a foundation player for a decade. It's hard to do better than that."

Yup, If nobody steps up (Iggy, Marrero) then XMan should def stay at SS. I agree not to move him now. wait until circumstances dictate such a move.

If he is moved, the LF would be his landing spot IMO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Cechinni's stock has fallen a little since his signing. Some feel that he is not as good as his numbers indicate. He is a baseball rat though, similar to Pedroia in that regard. Lot's of enthusiasm. A real likeable young man. Tremendous high school training. This guy was a pitcher in little league but had TJ surgury or something like that at around 14 years old or so. They moved him off pitcher. Tremendous young player with tons of high school experience and training. He played something like 95 games his senior year. 

I think he probably is more advanced than most kids coming out of high school but injuries have set him back some and he is starting to look a lot like Lars Anderson with his stroke to me. He does seem to be able to hit a curveball though. 

I didn't bring it up earlier but I would have to really think for a while before turning down a Bogaerts for Bradley and Cechinni trade. I think i would lean slightly for the later. Bradley is a heck of a talent also and maybe has a higher floor than Bogaerts, or at least a similar floor. Bogaerts just has potential to be a Jim Rice type talent when you look at how young he is and how little experience he had in Aruba. Those ISO numbers for a 19 year old kid in high A ball put him in elite company. Very few players had that kind of pop at so young an age.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Cechinni's stock has fallen a little since his signing. Some feel that he is not as good as his numbers indicate. He is a baseball rat though, similar to Pedroia in that regard. Lot's of enthusiasm. A real likeable young man. Tremendous high school training. This guy was a pitcher in little league but had TJ surgury or something like that at around 14 years old or so. They moved him off pitcher. Tremendous young player with tons of high school experience and training. He played something like 95 games his senior year. 

I think he probably is more advanced than most kids coming out of high school but injuries have set him back some and he is starting to look a lot like Lars Anderson with his stroke to me. He does seem to be able to hit a curveball though. 

I didn't bring it up earlier but I would have to really think for a while before turning down a Bogaerts for Bradley and Cechinni trade. I think i would lean slightly for the later. Bradley is a heck of a talent also and maybe has a higher floor than Bogaerts, or at least a similar floor. Bogaerts just has potential to be a Jim Rice type talent when you look at how young he is and how little experience he had in Aruba. Those ISO numbers for a 19 year old kid in high A ball put him in elite company. Very few players had that kind of pop at so young an age.

I don't disagree with anything here, and I am fine with giving Bogaerts more time to prove himself at SS defensively. He might do it.

We have so many other SS prospects that all seem to be much better defensively, but it's hard to ignore the positional comparative advantage you can get ve most opponents when you have a great offensive player at the SS position.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What do you guys make of the fact that Brentz did not get a ST invite while Marrero and about 5-6 other SSs will be in camp?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

What do you guys make of the fact that Brentz did not get a ST invite while Marrero and about 5-6 other SSs will be in camp?

he shot himself like a tard. he shouldn't have gotten a ST inv.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I think Brentz will probably still get some time in mlb camp this year. I'd like to note also that I think Cechinni will hit better than Lars Anderson has but since he is a 3rd baseman his profile might be more successful. I just am not convinced we will see a lot of power for at least several more years if ever but hopefully he can learn to use the wall effitively. He's not Coco Crisp. I think the Bill Mueller comparison someone mentioned might be his top end but I'm ok with that. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Let's talk some Jackie Bradely Jr. Here.  I've been having this thought in my head all morning after reading the latest ZiPS projections on the Sox,  that JBJ may get a cup of coffee come July/August.

I don't really know how I fell about Johnny Gomes handling LF. I know he is regarded by many as a platoon guy but who is he going to platoon with? I'm sure he will get at least 350/400 at bats.

Now I'm sure JBJ will get his cup of coffee towards the end of the season BUT what happens if JBJ is mashing it up in Pawtucket and come late July and Gomes is an empty void in LF and the Sox are actually in position to be in or fight for a playoff spot?  Could we possibly see him in a larger role in the mold of 2007 Ellsbury???

At this point I expect the Sox to hold on to Ellsbury, hope he has a great season and possibly contend, take the draft pick at the end of the season.  So if the Sox don't want to rush JBJ this season and feel that they can contend (even with Brentz and JBJ) do they possibly trade for a LF to play along side Ellsbury 2013/Bradely2014?  Really even if JBJ and Brentz both pan out we likely have CF/RF locked up but we still have no LF going into 2014.

For what it's worth you could basically have the same conversation but replace Bradely/Gomes with Victorino/Brynce. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Let's talk some Jackie Bradely Jr. Here.  I've been having this thought in my head all morning after reading the latest ZiPS projections on the Sox,  that JBJ may get a cup of coffee come July/August.

I don't really know how I fell about Johnny Gomes handling LF. I know he is regarded by many as a platoon guy but who is he going to platoon with? I'm sure he will get at least 350/400 at bats.

Now I'm sure JBJ will get his cup of coffee towards the end of the season BUT what happens if JBJ is mashing it up in Pawtucket and come late July and Gomes is an empty void in LF and the Sox are actually in position to be in or fight for a playoff spot?  Could we possibly see him in a larger role in the mold of 2007 Ellsbury???

At this point I expect the Sox to hold on to Ellsbury, hope he has a great season and possibly contend, take the draft pick at the end of the season.  So if the Sox don't want to rush JBJ this season and feel that they can contend (even with Brentz and JBJ) do they possibly trade for a LF to play along side Ellsbury 2013/Bradely2014?  Really even if JBJ and Brentz both pan out we likely have CF/RF locked up but we still have no LF going into 2014.

For what it's worth you could basically have the same conversation but replace Bradely/Gomes with Victorino/Brynce. 

if JBJ is mashes and is knocking on the door by midseason then we trade victorino. SV is only here as jacoby insurance. With JBJ in the MLB mix he becomes expendable. eat some of his contract, ship him out and insert JBJ into RF. in the offseason resign jacoby and you have CF/RF set for years to come.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

if JBJ is mashes and is knocking on the door by midseason then we trade victorino. SV is only here as jacoby insurance. With JBJ in the MLB mix he becomes expendable. eat some of his contract, ship him out and insert JBJ into RF. in the offseason resign jacoby and you have CF/RF set for years to come.

It would leave Ben looking pretty silly, IMO, to have signed Victorino to 3/39 only to have to  eat salary to trade him halfway through his first year to get him out of the way of a prospect. I think it's more likely that the team expects Ellsbury to be gone and Bradley in CF after this year, and I feel like the Victorino signing probably says more about their opinion of Brentz...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

That is one plausible scenario.  However that is under the assumption that the Sox will retain Ellsbury.  I consider that a possibility and I like Jacoby (he's one of my favorite players) but if I had to guess right now I'd say they do not retain him.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

It would leave Ben looking pretty silly, IMO, to have signed Victorino to 3/39 only to have to  eat salary to trade him halfway through his first year to get him out of the way of a prospect. I think it's more likely that the team expects Ellsbury to be gone and Bradley in CF after this year, and I feel like the Victorino signing probably says more about their opinion of Brentz...

That's my thinking too, I think people often get too excited about prospects and expect them to make immediate impacts.  Thing is, Brentz may get a cup of coffee in 2013 and be an up and down guy in 2014 without being a real above average MLB player until the 2015 season.  I'm not saying that is how it will play out, but the FO definitely has to consider that a plausible scenario. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree that SV was signed as insurance against Ellsbury leaving and JBJ not being ready soon enough, but I think Ben is fine with him staying in RF until the end of his deal. Brentz and others can fight over LF next year or 2015, or maybe SV might be moved to LF by 2015.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

That may be true...but I don't think there is an exact plan.  Sure, Victorino may be able to slide over to center, but I'm skeptical that was a main reason they signed him rather than a secondary reason or an after thought.  Regardless, if we lose Ellsbury after this season and JBJ and Brentz aren't ready we have ZERO outfielders.  Now I'd guess one of those guys starts in 2013 but either way the outfield is thin.  

I've always wondered if Bogaerts would move to LF, especially if Iglesias picks it up with the bat.  But the odds of Xander staying at SS (even if Iggy starts to hit well) are growing.  In the absence of another prospect emerging as a serious option as a starter (first team division starting potential) I can see the Sox making a run at a serious outfielder over the next year.  Via the trade market e.g. Stanton, or possibly even consideration towards signing Ellsbury depending on his season. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I want to talk about Brentz for a second. I think he's at least earned himself a Red Sox nickname. Bullet Bryce Brentz (apologies to Bobby Sprowl). Whaddayathink?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

FWIW, it's interesting to note that the trolls that come into this site every day to pour their hatred on the RS, never come into threads like this.

I assume you're not referring to the Seattle Mariner fan who started this thread. ;-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

MiLB has an interview with Jackie Bradley Jr. Nothing earth shaking here but he does seem like a pretty level headed and focussed young man.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm hearing rumblings that Bogaerts will either DH or play 3B in the WBC. Probably just a WBC thing but interestilessons the less

Sections
Shortcuts