6 Sox prospects among Top100 ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

6 Sox prospects among Top100 ...

on list released Tuesday by columnist Jonathan Mayo at MLB.com:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/index.jsp

Boston and four other teams had six prospects each on the Top 100 list, although Seattle tallied the most "Prospect Points" under Mayo's scoring system:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130129&content_id=41230208&c_id=bos

Scroll down.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: 6 Sox prospects among Top100 ...

And Bryce Brentz did not make the list. After being #64 a year ago and having a very good season last year somehow was left off the list. Maybe age he's 24? As for the rest nothing surprising only 3 other teams had as many as 6 players on the list. The future is hopefully bright.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Surprised to see Iggy on the list and Brentz getting kicked out.  Exciting we have strong farm again with Bogaerts at #20, JBJ and Barnes both cracking top 40.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Surprised to see Iggy on the list and Brentz getting kicked out.  Exciting we have strong farm again with Bogaerts at #20, JBJ and Barnes both cracking top 40.  

I don't understand why so many people have soured so quickly on Iggy. He is still very young, and his ML sample size is way too tiny to judge by.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I don't understand why so many people have soured so quickly on Iggy. He is still very young, and his ML sample size is way too tiny to judge by.

I haven't soured on Iggy.  I'm just suprised to see that Iggy made top 100 prospect list only with his glove.  and maybe little bit of his speed i guess..   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

also find it interesting that Webster and Casey Kelly rank pretty much even. Is DLR not listed because he has pitched in the ML already?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Some lists focus on "upside" while others focus on f"loor/MLB readiness".  Personally, I like lists that favor upside, which this one appears to.

I just think a prospect who may be something special (or could be a complete bust) is more valuable than a prospect who is knocking on the door and ready to give you above average major league production.

I think this list focuses on upside, which is why it favors guys like Iggy and Owens over Brentz.  Brentz is much more ready, as he had 450 AA at-bats last year and held his own (.300 BA, .480 slg%).  However Owens, 6'6 lefty 11.5 K/9 last year and Iggy have much more upside.

Brentz has the makeup of a .280, 20 HR , LF.  A solid every day player.  A solid prospect for sure; however, not a particularly "high upside" prospect.

Side note: I'm becoming a big fan of Henry Owens.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

The fact that he went from a .230 AAA batting average in 2011 to a .260 AAA batting average in 2012 does not get brought up enough.  The kid is a hard worker and is making progress with his hitting.

I think a lot of people are hard on Iggy because we are now in the fourth year of his contract and he hasnt earned a penny of the high bonus that we spent on him.  However, the fact that he didnt progress as rapidly as thought (now in the final year of a 4 yr/ 9M dollar deal), does not mean that he should be written off.

His hitting wasnt ready for the majors last year.  However, that doesnt mean it isnt improving.  I'm curious to see how he hits AAA pitching this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Here's what Arnie Beyeler had to say about Jose's hitting.

http://www.boston.com/sports/2012/09/21/pawsox-arnie-beyeler-has-faith-jose-iglesias/DUxXm1itZKlpGZjjh9f6hO/story.html

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

also find it interesting that Webster and Casey Kelly rank pretty much even. Is DLR not listed because he has pitched in the ML already?

Rubby de la Rosa lost his prospect status in 2011 when the righthander exceeded the 50-inning threshold of MLB experience.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I think it has to do with the fact that since he was signed people have been worried about his bat and has yet to do anything to make people believe he is going to just start hitting.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

I think it has to do with the fact that since he was signed people have been worried about his bat and has yet to do anything to make people believe he is going to just start hitting.

^^^ if he was doing well in AAA and just struggling to make things happen in the MLB it would be a different story. But he hasn't even shown that he can hit AAA pitching ocnsistently. If him and ciriaco were the only SS on the roster i would be OK with iggy starting but now that drew is in the mix it seems like a no brainer to me. I'm not sour on him, just unimpressed.

you can't argue that he's MLB ready and couldn't use another year in AAA..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I haven't soured on Iggy.  I'm just suprised to see that Iggy made top 100 prospect list only with his glove.  and maybe little bit of his speed i guess..   

Yes, I didn't mean to imply you were "soured". Sorry.

Many here have, however.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

^^^ if he was doing well in AAA and just struggling to make things happen in the MLB it would be a different story. But he hasn't even shown that he can hit AAA pitching ocnsistently. If him and ciriaco were the only SS on the roster i would be OK with iggy starting but now that drew is in the mix it seems like a no brainer to me. I'm not sour on him, just unimpressed.

"Unimpressed" over 80 some odd MLb PAs?

You're Ok with Ciriaco's 3,000+ minor league PAs and sub .300 OBP?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Rubby de la Rosa lost his prospect status in 2011 when the righthander exceeded the 50-inning threshold of MLB experience.

And along with de la Rosa, of course Lava also lost any prospect status...and them and Will M and the potential of Anthony Ranaudo and the Sox have a lot of possible young pieces for the 14 and beyond roster.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

not just his MLB PAs but his AAA MiLB PAs too..... and as i've said, if it were down to iggy and ciriaco i would give the job to iggy. Now that drew is in the discussion it seems pretty obvious to me. Start the ML'er, keep the struggling prospect in AAA and ciriaco in a UIF role. Re-examine at the trade dealine and trade drew if iggys bat warrants it.

At the start of the offseason i was ready to see what iggy could do in a starting role but only because there was no alternative to him who is considerably better... in a perfect world i would have given him another year in AAA before annointing him FT SS. My wish came true i guess, we brought in a considerable upgrade and iggy can continue to develop his game. looks like a win-win to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

And along with de la Rosa, of course Lava also lost any prospect status...and them and Will M and the potential of Anthony Ranaudo and the Sox have a lot of possible young pieces for the 14 and beyond roster.

We have a lot of non prospect young players on this team to go along with some top prospects...

23: de la Rosa (24 in March)

24: Middlebrooks, Kalish (25 in March)

25: Doubront, Lavarnway

26: Tazawa

27: Bard, Salty, Ciriaco

28: Buchholtz, Miller, Moretensen, M Gomez

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

not just his MLB PAs but his AAA MiLB PAs too..... and as i've said, if it were down to iggy and ciriaco i would give the job to iggy. Now that drew is in the discussion it seems pretty obvious to me. Start the ML'er, keep the struggling prospect in AAA and ciriaco in a UIF role. Re-examine at the trade dealine and trade drew if iggys bat warrants it.

At the start of the offseason i was ready to see what iggy could do in a starting role but only because there was no alternative to him who is considerably better... in a perfect world i would have given him another year in AAA before annointing him FT SS. My wish came true i guess, we brought in a considerable upgrade and iggy can continue to develop his game. looks like a win-win to me.

I'd still rather have Iggy as our FT SS and the money spent on Drew going towards a SP upgrade, but that's a done deal.

I understand your views on Iggy, but to those who love Ciriaco and think Iggy's minor league numbers are poor, Iggy hit .269 in the minors last year with a .318 OBP last year. Pedro's career minor league numbers are: .272/.299. These posters have fallen in love with Pedro over a 272 PA sample size with the Sox and a ML sample size of less than 315 PAs with a ML career .319 OBP. They have made judgements on Iggy based on what? About 80 some odd ML PAs and a few hundred minor league PAs in which he improved from .235/.285 to .266/.318 in a year?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

MLB readiness should be 30% of overall prospect evaluation at most.  Absolutely, he needs another year in AAA.  It was a mistake to call him up last year (his final month in AAA, he hit .300 and brought his yearly BA up to .267).  This doesnt mean he should plummet in the prospect ratings though.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Agreed. good post.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In related news, John Sickels ranks the Red Sox farm system in his top ten.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

I always liked the way the Orioles used to handle their Prospects years, years back. They kept bringing up their best Prospects for a cup of coffee, (Rettemund, Grich, Murray), even with the strong teams.

It makes sense and is done often these days as well. A player brought up for "a cup of coffee" in September does not lose years of team control by using up service time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lets talk some Jose Iglesias....

I know some people were down on Iggy still being in the top 100 the other day, but I heard one scout on the soxprospects.com podcast made a big argument (actually seemed to somewhat convince the other guys on the podcast) in his favor.

If Iggy starts this season in Pawtucket it will be his 3rd there, and that log jam gives the appearence of a lack of progression, or that he has hit his ceiling.

People forget that Iggy will only be 23 this year.  He was 22 in Boston last year,  (he would be an average age for a prospect in AAA THIS year)  It's no secrete that Boston had rushed Iggy for his glove with little consideration for his bat.  Truth is, they should have kept him in Portland for an extra year. He played in Portland at 20 (Bogaerts will be 20 in portland this year)  and was in Pawtucket by age 21.  Jackie Bradley will be one year older than Iglesias starting in Portland when Iggy was starting in Pawtucket at his age.  Actually Iggy was placed agressively high and has been moved faster than any of our other top prosepct known for their offense.

The Bryce Harpers of the world are very very very rare.  I've been hearing a lot of people saying to not write Iggy off just yet.  It all comes down to whether he is going to get his chance.  He will likely need a year to stink and see some pitches and get better.  I don't know if the team will be patient enough with him for that to happen.  I often wonder how much longer they would have given to Pedrioa before they got rid of him,  because he was bad for a while and then it just came on like a switch. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I simply dont want to see Boegardts or Marrero blocked or slowed down because Iggy is stuck in AAA. I think they both pass him by as prospects 

i dont see the improvement discussed. I still see lack of pitch recognition, undisciplined on the outer portion of the plate, and a tendacy to lazy some throws. 

I agree he was rushed in AA, but I dont see the improvement regardless of what the BA says

Sections
Shortcuts