6 Sox prospects among Top100 ...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: 6 Sox prospects among Top100 ...

In response to selenium-'s comment:

In response to slomag's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

That may be true...but I don't think there is an exact plan.  Sure, Victorino may be able to slide over to center, but I'm skeptical that was a main reason they signed him rather than a secondary reason or an after thought.  Regardless, if we lose Ellsbury after this season and JBJ and Brentz aren't ready we have ZERO outfielders.  Now I'd guess one of those guys starts in 2013 but either way the outfield is thin.  

I've always wondered if Bogaerts would move to LF, especially if Iglesias picks it up with the bat.  But the odds of Xander staying at SS (even if Iggy starts to hit well) are growing.  In the absence of another prospect emerging as a serious option as a starter (first team division starting potential) I can see the Sox making a run at a serious outfielder over the next year.  Via the trade market e.g. Stanton, or possibly even consideration towards signing Ellsbury depending on his season. 

Don't give up on Kalish yet - we haven't seen him healthy since 2010.  With a little luck, we'll see him have 2-3 months at 100% this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if he looks ready to fill the void in 2014.  If not, we can address the OF in the off-season.  I don't see Ellsbury as the answer - he just hasn't proven he can stay healthy and effective, and a terrific 2013 wouldn't do anything to change that fact.

I share your optimism and hope on Kalish. Like a few others here I am also a big Ekllsbury fan. Many forget that Ellsbury did not cause those injuries since he was in the wrong place at the wrong time when others fell onto him. Yet many on the forum continue to call him "injury-prone" when he was merely unlucky. Didn't Beltry put another player out of commission that year also? 

Hermida.  

The frustrating thing about Ellsbury is that he takes so long to recover, and when he does, he's not 100%, and for Ellsbury 90% health seems to equal about 60% production.

If he had Pedroia's mentality, I'd be higher on him, but as is I think he's unreliable.  If he has a hot year, and we're out of contention, I'd like to see him go at the deadline.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I dig Kalish and his extreme dirt dog mentality but that boat has almost definitely floated gently by. He just can't turn the intensity down a little and with 2 bad shoulders now, how can we count on him ever being the player he was projected originally to be. Neck injury and you name it. At least his wheels are not affected a lot. 

Regarding Ellsbury, those first few years he stayed on the field quite well for a guy stealing 70 bases and such. A center fielder seeing a lot of action. He was cautious. He was like the exact opposite of Kalish in that regard. Kalish would dive for balls he couldn't come within 2 feet of sometimes. Ellsbury sometimes wouldn't dive at all for catchable balls. I prefer the later unless it's the playoffs. We need our studs to stay on the field.

The Beltre injury could have happened to anyone and the shouder separation certainly was a fluke also. But both injuries would have happened to anyone in those plays. My only concern is does Ellsbury still have the pop he had prior to the shoulder separation. Let's hope so.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bump.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Don't look now, but Jackie Bradley Jr.'s OBP for the spring is sitting at .750. Who was it saying he didn't look like a leadoff hitter?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Don't look now, but Jackie Bradley Jr.'s OBP for the spring is sitting at .750. Who was it saying he didn't look like a leadoff hitter?

he is looking really good. Locking up Jacoby to mentor this kid should be a priority. then we can have him lead off and move Ells down to the 3 hole in the coming years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

he is looking really good. Locking up Jacoby to mentor this kid should be a priority. then we can have him lead off and move Ells down to the 3 hole in the coming years.

I forget where I read this good article on JBJ.  It was an Article on SoxProspects, Fangraphs (some website, lets just say that)  Anyways it talked about how he trained, and would take batting practice, his work ethic etc etc etc.  They said he would spend time every day practicing fouling off pitches to the outside.  Practicing being able to hit a strike that he can't drive to keep the count alive.  I don't know why but something about that just stuck with me.  This kid is obviously committed to learning the strike zone, and improving his approach at the plate. 

You get what you put in, every time.  It reminds me of another story I read about how Tiger Woods would spend some days, all day, practicing hitting out of a sand trap so when it happened (cause it happens to everyone) he would be as good as anyone getting back into the game.

When I read this about Bradely it made me very excited for his future.  If he develops the way we all hope he will I envision him as a high OBP guy.  A guy who can walk, work the count, foul off pitches, drive up the pitch count, and ultimately bat .280-.300.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I forget where I read this good article on JBJ.  It was an Article on SoxProspects, Fangraphs (some website, lets just say that)  Anyways it talked about how he trained, and would take batting practice, his work ethic etc etc etc.  They said he would spend time every day practicing fouling off pitches to the outside.  Practicing being able to hit a strike that he can't drive to keep the count alive.  I don't know why but something about that just stuck with me.  This kid is obviously committed to learning the strike zone, and improving his approach at the plate. 

You get what you put in, every time.  It reminds me of another story I read about how Tiger Woods would spend some days, all day, practicing hitting out of a sand trap so when it happened (cause it happens to everyone) he would be as good as anyone getting back into the game.

When I read this about Bradely it made me very excited for his future.  If he develops the way we all hope he will I envision him as a high OBP guy.  A guy who can walk, work the count, foul off pitches, drive up the pitch count, and ultimately bat .280-.300.  

i also read a similar article. In college he wouldn't even swing until he had 2 strikes against him. I really like JBJ and have high hopes for him. I just hope we can keep jacoby in the mix too and transform our OF to one of the best in the bigs. An OF of SV*, Ells and JBJ would easily be the best defensive OF in the MLB and pretty top notch offensively (provided that JBJ comes as advertised)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

An OF of SV*, Ells and JBJ would easily be the best defensive OF in the MLB and pretty top notch offensively (provided that JBJ comes as advertised)

SV is not a top notch offensive player.

Ellsbury still needs to prove 2011 was not a fluke.

JBJ has proven nothing so far.

Certainly the potential is there for a great overall OF, but there are some big "ifs" as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Not sure carnie. Hes got lead-off hitter written all over him. Its been pretty obvious for a while now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

An OF of SV*, Ells and JBJ would easily be the best defensive OF in the MLB and pretty top notch offensively (provided that JBJ comes as advertised)

Certainly the potential is there for a great overall OF, but there are some big "ifs" as well.

can't argue with that. My bad, i should have put "has potential to be top notch offensively". The defensive aspect is without question.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

can't argue with that. My bad, i should have put "has potential to be top notch offensively". The defensive aspect is without question.

Agreed, and the offense may not be too bad if we get an infusion from the farm sooner than later.