7/17 Game Thread: Beckett vs. Niemann

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Re: 7/17 Game Thread: Beckett vs. Niemann

In Response to Re: 7/17 Game Thread: Beckett vs. Niemann:
    [QUOTE]Kudos to all you East Coast folk -- J-Bay is the only one I know for sure, but I'm sure there were others -- who made it all the way through last night. I caved after 12th, I think it was, though I did check my phone when I woke up around 3. Oh, and London ... heck, you're more East than any of us.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Lloyd, I would have made it through but we had relatives over sleeping where I would normally get my Sox game fix.  I had to shut it down in the 12th and checked the score just about when you did.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BertoSoxFan. Show BertoSoxFan's posts

wife and I made it to the very end.  spent the last few innings furious with Francona for failing to pinch hit for our stike out prone old, etremely tired catcher when we had one out and bases loaded.  Tek was literally hobbling off the field in the 16th.  There's no excuse for asking a man that age to catch 16 innings.  Unless Salty was unavailable, I think that should go down in his top three stupidest moves ever.  Right up there with failing to pinch run for Ortiz on first with no outs in an extra inning game. 

Hooray for pitching though! Awesome game aside from the strandings.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

examiner and upper are east coasters, who also made it to the end. as far as veritek, doubt he would could have made it through 16 if it had been outside in the July heat, the 72 degree trop saved him. he'll get a few days off. almost lost in all this was the outstanding pitching, especially beckett, after his knee injury, then getting hit with two balls in the first inning. he looked as sharp as he has all season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]wife and I made it to the very end.  spent the last few innings furious with Francona for failing to pinch hit for our stike out prone old, etremely tired catcher when we had one out and bases loaded.  Tek was literally hobbling off the field in the 16th.  There's no excuse for asking a man that age to catch 16 innings.  Unless Salty was unavailable, I think that should go down in his top three stupidest moves ever.  Right up there with failing to pinch run for Ortiz on first with no outs in an extra inning game.  Hooray for pitching though! Awesome game aside from the strandings.
    Posted by BertoSoxFan[/QUOTE]

What?  He didn't want to pich run yet because a GIDP takes you right out of the inning and you have now lost your number 5 hitter.  Once he got to 2nd with no outs it makes perfect sense.  Chances are you are going to find a way to score there.  I could see how you would want a pinch hitter for Tek in the 11th.  However, no manager is going to make that move if he is not carrying three catchers on the roster.  If he pinch hits and Salty gets hurt, you are then stuck with someone who never catches being thrust into an extra innings game against a big rival.  It would be a roll of the dice to make that move and fans would kill Tito if it backfired.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

I am waiting for Sox to take over best record in baseball this season.  It could happen in Baltimore this week.

57-36 take away 2-10

55-26

I just say wow !  That's a 0.679 clip, if went the entire year from start to finish would net 110 wins.

If they went at this clip for rest of the year (79 games left), they will end up with 104 wins.

But I am sticking to 96 wins, and that's good enough.  They will slacken once they make it to the playoff, experimenting with September callups, and fine tuning the team for the playoff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE] examiner and upper are east coasters, who also made it to the end. as far as veritek, doubt he would could have made it through 16 if it had been outside in the July heat, the 72 degree trop saved him. he'll get a few days off. almost lost in all this was the outstanding pitching, especially beckett, after his knee injury, then getting hit with two balls in the first inning. he looked as sharp as he has all season.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I made it through all the way, but not watching everything.  I cheated.  I was at work ....

:o)

Finger Lakes, south, NY

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

if you had just started those bars earlier yaz, we all would have gotten more sleepWink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

J, nothing like turning off the set at 2:45 and snooze for 3 hours, jump in the shower, get dressed and head out for work with a big hot duncan donuts coffee.....only to get to work and hit the cafe for another big coffee...getting a good caffine rush is ok when our ball club wins a 16 inning marathon.

I hope the devilrays smack the MFY's good for the next 3 games. (wishful thinking on my part) lolSmile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Sox have second best run differential in the majors with +113, just one behind Yanks' +114.

Sox could take the lead for the first time this season this week.

Sox have scored 498 runs so far this season for best in majors.

Yanks and Rangers have 474.

Phillies have 401.

Sections
Shortcuts