7/26 Game Thread: Duffy vs. Miller

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHSOUTH. Show NHSOUTH's posts

Re: 7/26 Game Thread: Duffy vs. Miller

What a shame nearly 100% of the Red Sox pitching staff has been injured for significant chunks of this season, already. 

Obviously, aged but less than competent pitching coach, and veteran actor, Burt Young, provides nothing.

But of course, Kansas City is the best team in MLB. Oh wait, they are not. Not even close.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I have to say I thought this guy deserved to be in the rotation more than Wakefield when Buchholz comes back, but I take that back. I this guy has one more shot in the rotation and then Weiland comes back or they make a trade.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: 7/26 Game Thread: Duffy vs. Miller:
    In Response to Re: 7/26 Game Thread: Duffy vs. Miller : Early in the year, I thought I heard that the Sox front office had added a creative clause to his contract to (attempt to) prevent another team from claiming him if he was called up and subsequently demoted. According to the attached link, the Sox put a $3,000,000 vesting option in his contract for 2012. If any team tries to claim him, they must pay him the $3,000,000 option. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/andrew-millers-vesting-option/ Given the way he's pitched for us, against fairly weak offensive competition (SD, Pittsburgh, Houston, TB, Baltimore twice), I don't see any team claiming him (given the vesting option). If another team would claim him, I don't think we've lost that much. The fact that he's left-handed is the only reason he's still with the big club and keeps getting chance after chance. As you said, the overpowering fastball that was advertised has yet to be witnessed by anyone at the major league level this year (must be hiding out with Daisuke's famed "gyroball").    I'm not saying that I'm giving up on the kid but I think it's obvious that he's not ready/needs to go back to Pawtucket and work on his fastball command.  I would have to think that a starting pitcher is Theo's biggest concern at this juncture (trade deadline) and that Miller might get to start Sunday but that will be it.    Just my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree so fire away!!
    Posted by CMHBOSOX

In that case, I would definitely ship him to Pawtucket. Weiland seems like a much better option , at this point. Or maybe Doubront.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I had thought after last night's game, they would send Williams down and bring up Atchison for innings. Probably a mistake at this point. I have to believe Atchison will be with the team tomorrow.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHSOUTH. Show NHSOUTH's posts

Aceves, how did he do last time out? Any home runs allowed in relief? Many?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Aceves hasn't been as impressive lately either. He may be running down a little. Gave up runs his last two times out, and almost did there in that inning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

It's unbelievable, we counting on Aceves, now, and the most ridiculous batting order I have ever seen from Tito.  Throwing games to the royals is really stupid

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I had thought after last night's game, they would send Williams down and bring up Atchison for innings. Probably a mistake at this point. I have to believe Atchison will be with the team tomorrow.
    Posted by ADG

Yeah. Either him or Bowden. Can't bring Weiland back yet unless someone else goes on the D.L.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In Response to 7/26 Game Thread: Duffy vs. Miller:
    Go Sox! Get back in the win column!!
    Posted by CMHBOSOX

isn't it time to end this Miller experiment; at least for the moment? Send this guy to AA where he can learn how to pitch. He has a so-so fast ball, no curve ball, to speak of, no change-up at all, and absolutely NO COMMAND. He has potential; but can not be allowed to do his thing in the middle of a pennant race.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The last time out, Aceves allowed 1 run in 2.2 IP. That's a 3.37 ERA, which is pretty good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This game is the polar opposite of last night's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHSOUTH. Show NHSOUTH's posts

McDonald strikes out on ball 4.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

That was a rope! Come on Pedey!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

sox might need wilson or fife from AA seadawgs.  They brought dave pauley up for starts a couple years ago from portland.   But theo might do something more stupid and dump a lot for another ted lilly, etc.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Red Sox Bench:

.158 Hitting Outfielder
    .179 Hitting back up infielder
    .234 Hitting 39 year old catcher
    Drew Sutton

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Dare we ask PD to come through again?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

Brandon Duckworth shutting it down in AAA. I swap him and miller and give him a turn

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

4th Picher:
    45 year old knuckleballer with an ERA over 5

5th pitcher.
    25 year old head case with an ERA over 5

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

whats with this team struggling with last place or bottom teams? miller has been beating the bottom feeders. i heard that he had a prob sustaining his velocity as the innigs come. tough call. he doesnt throw enough strikes for bullpen, not good enough to start, doesnt wanna go to aaa. if theo piks up his option, has to re-start in aaa til he proves something again. cant go into next year relyg on a miller. bard should be starting!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Don't want to belabor this idea any more than I already have , but I still think the Sox would be better served having Aceves in the rotation , instead of a guy like Miller. Andrew's won/loss record is very deceiving. He has not pitched well. I think our bullpen is in pretty good shape, so Aceves could be spared to start.  Just think we would be better off that way.  An option would be to trade for a guy like Kuroda.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

. Our pitching coach stinks. Enough with hiring the unemployable..
    Posted by NHSOUTH

That is a funny statement I hope it is sarcasm.....if not a very dumb statement.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Way to be a lead off man D-Mac.  Ball four...oops. No. Strike 3.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

If the Red Sox are willing to risk sending Miller down, then send down him and Williams and bring up Bowden and Atchison. At the point that his next start comes around, I would assume they'll get a pitcher at the deadline.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Sox might win this one 10-8.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

What is wrong with Carl Crawford ? When he was with Tampa Bay he scared the life out of me, now no way.
    Questions Miller has not pitched well against bad team, why isn't Kevin Millwood up here yet.
    Why isn't Okajima up here either rather than Williams, both of these guys are pitching well down in Pawtucket right now. 

Sections
Shortcuts