Re: 7/26 Game Thread: Duffy vs. Miller

In Response to Re: 7/26 Game Thread: Duffy vs. Miller:
    Time for the dagger.
    Posted by dgalehouse

Almost.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

i think everyone's still hung over from a tough loss last night and spilled over to the way this one started. Sox seem to have put it behind them, lets do the same
    Posted by J-BAY

Think so J. I know I was draggin' butt all day today. Could hardly stay awake. Somehow it's different when you have a marathon like that and they lose.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Has anyone yet pointed out that the umpire is contributing to the offense?  It sure looks to me as though he has squeezed all the pitchers by calling some strikes balls.  Now in Miller's case I think the bigger part of his problem tonight was that the Royals seemed to love whatever he threw, including balls outside the strike zone.  I think the fact that so far Aceves has been successful is because he just has good stuff even when the ump won't let him work the corner. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Stupid Melky. You might have known it. Oh well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

Nice inning!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

What a catch.  I remember why I couldn't stand him in the past.  Now I just kinda dislike him a little.  I think Melky misses the rivalry.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Wow, if either of those two balls were pulled more, they are long gone. Guess we will have to be satisfied with the five run lead.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: 7/26 Game Thread: Duffy vs. Miller : Think so J. I know I was draggin' butt all day today. Could hardly stay awake. Somehow it's different when you have a marathon like that and they lose.
    Posted by TheExaminer

same here, exam. i was so wound up, couldn't get to sleep. few weeks ago, the 16 inning game was easier to take, since sox won. everyone knew not to look at me sideways today.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Pedey's avg. now up to .305

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Dgalehouse, I read through the thread and saw you brought up the issue of Aceves starting, which you think he should.  I also read the thread a few nights ago when you were arguing with someone about it (Roy, maybe?).  I'm of the opinion that you have to have a guy like Aceves in the pen who can go multiple innings when your starter can't.  He has been almost perfect in that role.  Is there anyone else on the staff that you could envision doing what he does?  Maybe that is another way of looking at it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Wonder how Tito plans to piece the bullpen together for the rest of this one?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Has anyone yet pointed out that the umpire is contributing to the offense?  It sure looks to me as though he has squeezed all the pitchers by calling some strikes balls.  Now in Miller's case I think the bigger part of his problem tonight was that the Royals seemed to love whatever he threw, including balls outside the strike zone.  I think the fact that so far Aceves has been successful is because he just has good stuff even when the ump won't let him work the corner. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

wow dude, u must have graduated valedictorian from the joe morgan school of the obvious. miller got bombed for he has worse stuff than aceves. hmmm

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

oh well, at least tito had gonz, pedey, ortic together in the order...but I'll never understand why he would give McD and Scoots the 1-2 in AB's...to friggun crazy Tito. And what happened, did Josh not nod enough to deserve his 8th slot?  Why, tito?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

Enough playing around, Aceves. We need outs, preferably a DP......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Dgalehouse, I read through the thread and saw you brought up the issue of Aceves starting, which you think he should.  I also read the thread a few nights ago when you were arguing with someone about it (Roy, maybe?).  I'm of the opinion that you have to have a guy like Aceves in the pen who can go multiple innings when your starter can't.  He has been almost perfect in that role.  Is there anyone else on the staff that you could envision doing what he does?  Maybe that is another way of looking at it.
    Posted by joel49

Joel, I guess it is just a matter of opinion. Don't really want to argue the point any further.  As to your question;   Maybe a guy like Wheeler, Bowden or Atchison could fill the role, albeit maybe not as well as Alfredo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Posted by joel49

Agreed Joel. Aceves is invaluable out of the pen right now--although looking shaky so far in this inning.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Why is it so hard for pitchers to make a good throw to second to start a DP? See that a lot even in the bigs. Remy says it's because they're throwing up hill. Could be, that kind of makes sense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

Scoreless inning...eventful, but scoreless........which is the important part.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In Response to Re: 7/26 Game Thread: Duffy vs. Miller : Joel, I guess it is just a matter of opinion. Don't really want to argue the point any further.  As to your question;   Maybe a guy like Wheeler, Bowden or Atchison could fill the role, albeit maybe not as well as Alfredo.
    Posted by dgalehouse

That's cool.  I thought you were looking for feedback earlier tonight.  And Atchison did fill that role pretty well last season FWIW.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: 7/26 Game Thread: Duffy vs. Miller : Agreed Joel. Aceves is invaluable out of the pen right now--although looking shaky so far in this inning.
    Posted by TheExaminer

I'm not Aceves' agent by any means, but to be fair, he is not at his best tonight. Have to remember that he threw 46 pitches on Sunday.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

i know one thing ells can fly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I'm sorry but the poster who keeps saying to put Aceves in the rotation is dead wrong.  He is so invaluable to this team, it's scary.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: 7/26 Game Thread: Duffy vs. Miller : I'm not Aceves' agent by any means, but to be fair, he is not at his best tonight. Have to remember that he threw 46 pitches on Sunday.
    Posted by dgalehouse

Yes, I'm afraid he'll get over-used and be less effective in the postseason. Another reason to save him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Now that there's a momentary lull in the action, I'm going to re-post this lineup question for opinion. PD always rakes when they put him cleanup, so why not try THIS now and again with the full lineup:

Ellsbury
    Crawford
    Gonzalez
    Pedroia
    Youkilis
    Ortiz
    Reddick
    Saltalamaccia
    Scutaro

Crawford might benefit from being back in the 2 slot, and would have Gonzalez to protect him. I think it's worth a shot sometime.

Sections
Shortcuts