7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey

In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : You mean Billy Hatcher? And you're right for scolding me! How could I have forgotten HIM? What a player! Still has the record for consecutive hits in the WS. But as far as Braggs goes, O'Neill was much better. Sometimes Lou would platoon a little when a lefty was pitching, but Paul got probably 75% of the playing time. Braggs could hit the ball a mile--provided he ran into it--which wasn't often enough. He'd hit around .250 or so if I remember with around 12-15 hr. O'Neil would be more in the .270 range, with 20-25 hr power (back when 25 meant something). He elevated it to another level when he went to NY. That was a bad trade for the Reds. Got Roberto Kelly for him, who never amounted to much. Meanwhile, O'Neil went on to torment RSN. We're REALLY sorry about that! LOL
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

Yes of course.....7 or 8 straight hits.....I purposely didn't mention ALL the names to kind of test you........He was also w/ the Sox in circa 92-93......He also forced "E" to LF.......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Way to pitch out of that jam. Starting to feel pretty confident now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Lloyd Moseby and Devon White also had decent power for CF's in the 80's. I think Murphy and Davis were in a league of their own as they could hit 30+ with regularity but the others we've mentioned usually hit around 20 each season.
    Posted by CMHBOSOX[/QUOTE]

Good ones!

Man that Jays team could MASH!  They got ripped off in 1985 - I thought they should have won it all that year......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : Still no P.E.D. testing in wrestling.  Many of them died young.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]good thing my other fave the ultimate warrior never never took that stuff.. just always high on life and warrior nation!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

So the real question is - why don't we see more (any?) Power Centerfielders anymore??

PS - I think Kirby was the cream of the crop in the category in the 80's......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

sox havent lost a game when leading after 7 all year!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

who pitches tomorrow?  day game

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

[QUOTE]sox havent lost a game when leading after 7 all year!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]
    knock on wood

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]So the real question is - why don't we see more (any?) Power Centerfielders anymore?? PS - I think Kirby was the cream of the crop in the category in the 80's......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]perhaps just a fluke or perhaps more emphasis on defense.. or perhaps its all that testing thing or a combo..what happened to all the power hitting shortstops?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

[QUOTE]So the real question is - why don't we see more (any?) Power Centerfielders anymore?? PS - I think Kirby was the cream of the crop in the category in the 80's......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

What about Ellsbury?!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : knock on wood
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]it aint happeneing against this triple A lineup

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : Yes of course.....7 or 8 straight hits.....I purposely didn't mention ALL the names to kind of test you........He was also w/ the Sox in circa 92-93......He also forced "E" to LF.......

Yes, and most of us were fairly convinced that when Stewart hit him in game four, he did it on purpose. Broke his hand. Then in the bottom of the first Eric Davis bruised a kidney diving for a ball in LF. That might have gotten dicey if Rijo hadn't retired 20 batters in a row and finished Oakland off. Being w/o those two would have made things interesting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : good thing my other fave the ultimate warrior never never took that stuff.. just always high on life and warrior nation!
    The worst was Sid Vicious ( or Sid Justice.) Steroid freak who could not even move or remember his lines.  Just terrible.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]who pitches tomorrow?  day game
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

Beckett.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Just seems that the move has been toward speed vs. power, defense vs. offense. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : it aint happeneing against this triple A lineup
    of course, pretty improbable, but knock on wood anyway

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Dmac has hit a rocket every single time up tongiht has he not? Boy, it'd be great to get him going.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think you gotta give Ellsbury at least one more year like this

I recall the kidney injury - I think it was all down hill from there - it was like he sacrificed his career for that series

I think the power SS's came in the 90's when they were juicing but the 80's was different I think........unless Yount and Kirby were juicing ????

I think it's combo of reasons but I think if you had Kirby today he would be moved to LF or RF and out of CF........and then you slot in a lighter hitting jack rabbit into CF

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : The worst was Sid Vicious ( or Sid Justice.) Steroid freak who could not even move or remember his lines.  Just terrible.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]u mean like this:

btw, always likedrazor as well chico!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]I think you gotta give Ellsbury at least one more year like this I recall the kidney injury - I think it was all down hill from there - it was like he sacrificed his career for that series I think the power SS's came in the 90's when they were juicing but the 80's was different I think........unless Yount and Kirby were juicing ???? I think it's combo of reasons but I think if you had Kirby today he would be moved to LF or RF and out of CF........and then you slot in a lighter hitting jack rabbit into CF

Pretty much. He had an injury filled, mediocre (for him at least) 1991, and by 92 was in Los Angeles. Reggie Sanders took his place. But he did come back from cancer in 97 and had a really good year for the Reds. Great guy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

sounds like you are more of a Reds fan?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

How about a trade of Navarro for Francouer?  Throw in a minor prospect, if need be. Keep Sutton as utility infielder. Keep Drew on the D.L. until Sept.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

btw, I just realized how much more relaxed I am now that Drew is a goner.........is it just me or do you notice that too?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Save your trade bait for a starter

Buck is killing me!!!!!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]Dmac has hit a rocket every single time up tongiht has he not? Boy, it'd be great to get him going.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]
    has raised his average by about 15 points. now over .170.. keeps going like this will be at .190 by end of august.

Sections
Shortcuts