7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey

Oh no! Pitt and Atl tied at 1-1 in the 9th. Not again! LOL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey:
    [QUOTE]Dmac has hit a rocket every single time up tongiht has he not? Boy, it'd be great to get him going.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]
    more impressed with will. came in with era over 11, now under8.50. could be in lackey territory after this appearance.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

[QUOTE]How about a trade of Navarro for Francouer?  Throw in a minor prospect, if need be. Keep Sutton as utility infielder. Keep Drew on the D.L. until Sept.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

he'd be the one to get, good fit

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

and the Milk Man delivers!  NOT!!!!!!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]Oh no! Pitt and Atl tied at 1-1 in the 9th. Not again! LOL
    i smell make-up call for pitt from the gods

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

the umpires better do all they can to hand the game to pitt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

like to see a pirates - red sox world series

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]How about a trade of Navarro for Francouer?  Throw in a minor prospect, if need be. Keep Sutton as utility infielder. Keep Drew on the D.L. until Sept.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]u mean keep drew on the DL til november, right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]Save your trade bait for a starter Buck is killing me!!!!!!!!
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
    For sure we need a starter. Might be able to do both.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : the umpires better do all they can to hand the game to pitt
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

yeah, payback

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]sounds like you are more of a Reds fan?

I grew up a Reds fan, been following the Sox since around 03. I'm a bit of a newby, but I bleed red AND blue now. Hope no one holds that against me. There are a lot of connections between the teams. 75 WS, Youk from Cincy, Lester from OH, Tito used to play for the Reds and etc. It was a natural fit for me. Plus, I HATE the Yankees. It was the natural place to go. I also like Fenway park. I'm a bit of a historian, so I like old things. I like what they're doing there, keeping the history alive. Unlike the Reds, the Sox are not afraid to go spend money to improve the team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : like to see a pirates - red sox world series
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]
    not the networks! perhaps they'll tie it to the pats and steelers

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : Just seems that the move has been toward speed vs. power, defense vs. offense. 
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

It seems (to me anyway) like OF power in general has declined through the years. Nowadays, it seems as though the power positions vary from team-to-team.

As a kid, it seemed like every team had power on the infield and outfield corner positions and defense up the middle. I think a lot of the bigger, more talented kids back then were steered towards the corner infield/outfield positions. Now, they're given the chance to play in the middle of the infield if they the athleticism to do so.

Had Cal, Jeter, Nomar or A-Rod come up in the late 60's/70's, I don't think any of them would have been allowed to play shortstop. They didn't fit the "mold" for a shortstop.. I think they'd have been moved to 3rd or LF.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : u mean keep drew on the DL til november, right?
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]
    I was thinking the rosters expand in Sept. Then he can sit on the bench.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

That's cool but it's a little different if you are born into it....You're like a transplant!  :)

Jonnie L is from Seattle.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

[QUOTE]btw, I just realized how much more relaxed I am now that Drew is a goner.........is it just me or do you notice that too?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]I thought of commenting earlier on how pleasant you're being tonight but didn't want to start anything.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : I was thinking the rosters expand in Sept. Then he can sit on the bench.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]drew's best position is left-out!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

yeah good point re:  "the trends" (aka mold)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : I thought of commenting earlier on how pleasant you're being tonight but didn't want to start anything.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

it's ok

but have I ever been unpleasant to YOU? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]That's cool but it's a little different if you are born into it....You're like a transplant!  :) Jonnie L is from Seattle.....

Oh yeah, no doubt about it. In some ways I'm envious, but then I have the Big Red Machine to look back on, so it's all good--it evens out. There's some Ohio connection with Lester though, did he live there for a while or something?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : u mean like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4O-wDli0S4   btw, always likedrazor as well chico!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]
    That is him. Total stiff. Ramon, ( Scott Hall ) could not help but laugh.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : I grew up a Reds fan, been following the Sox since around 03. I'm a bit of a newby, but I bleed red AND blue now. Hope no one holds that against me. There are a lot of connections between the teams. 75 WS, Youk from Cincy, Lester from OH, Tito used to play for the Reds and etc. It was a natural fit for me. Plus, I HATE the Yankees. It was the natural place to go. I also like Fenway park. I'm a bit of a historian, so I like old things. I like what they're doing there, keeping the history alive. Unlike the Reds, the Sox are not afraid to go spend money to improve the team.

don't forget Bronsen Arroyo....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/27 Game Thread: Chen vs. Lackey : It seems (to me anyway) like OF power in general has declined through the years. Nowadays, it seems as though the power positions vary from team-to-team. As a kid, it seemed like every team had power on the infield and outfield corner positions and defense up the middle. I think a lot of the bigger, more talented kids back then were steered towards the corner infield/outfield positions. Now, they're given the chance to play in the middle of the infield if they the athleticism to do so. Had Cal, Jeter, Nomar or A-Rod come up in the late 60's/70's, I don't think any of them would have been allowed to play shortstop. They didn't fit the "mold" for a shortstop.. I think they'd have been moved to 3rd or LF.
    Posted by CMHBOSOX[/QUOTE] Cal Ripken always seems to get the nod for the transformatgion of SS but I think it was Tramell and Yount that made organizations not switch guys like Cal and those that followed in the next wave away from SS.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I don't know...I think he lives in Altanta now though

Clemens was born in Dayton - hope it's not that.........let me think..........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Bingo

Trammel and Yount

Tony Fernandez too

But the King was Barry Larkin..........