7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LondonRedSox. Show LondonRedSox's posts

Re: 7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester

Smile

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

no way craw makes that throw!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: 7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester:
    [QUOTE]Wow, that looked like he was safe! Break for the Sox, and we'll take it.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

watched the replay, his foot went OVER the plate, never touched it

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

Thank you baseball god!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

Another non-win win by the R$

Out unless you are a senseless homer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Baseball's a catch and throw game. Everything else is specialization.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Matt Albers just said on WEEI that he talked to Lester, and he said he felt fine, but "felt a little something". Not sure what that means, but that's what Albers said.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

and DMac played what...6 positions last year?...3 infield spots and all the OF,  I wouldn't expect him to be going anywhere with the injury bugs taking their toll

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester : watched the replay, his foot went OVER the plate, never touched it
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    Yep ... thought the same thing. Plus, not to harp on it, but that was clearly strike three to Patterson to lead off the inning.
    That Paps gets credit for a save is ridiculous, but a win is a win.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There is this myth that Pap does not bear down unless it is a save situation. That is not true. He is always intense and giving his best, save or non save.  The reality is that he has become more hittable than he used to be. There is no longer the feeling that the game is in the bag when he comes in. He usually gets the job done, but not always efficiently.  There is no doubt in my mind that Bard is better. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

[QUOTE]Matt Albers just said on WEEI that he talked to Lester, and he said he felt fine, but "felt a little something". Not sure what that means, but that's what Albers said.

That sounds positive. Maybe just shut him down until after the break/the following weekend???

Regardless, if I'm the Red Sox, I say under no circumstances is Beckett to pitch in the all-star game next week. We can't risk it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

paps wants to be a free agent for the big money,has anyone told him closers with an ERA over four do not get big money.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester : That sounds positive. Maybe just shut him down until after the break/the following weekend??? Regardless, if I'm the Red Sox, I say under no circumstances is Beckett to pitch in the all-star game next week. We can't risk it.
    Posted by CMHBOSOX[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Albers did add "but I guess he'll see the Dr. and see what happens." Hopefully he'll just miss one start before the break. We'll see.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]There is this myth that Pap does not bear down unless it is a save situation. That is not true. He is always intense and giving his best, save or non save.  The reality is that he has become more hittable than he used to be. There is no longer the feeling that the game is in the bag when he comes in. He usually gets the job done, but not always efficiently.  There is no doubt in my mind that Bard is better. 
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

At this point Bard clearly seems to be the more dominant pitcher.  But he still hasn't proven himself as a closer.  The Papelbon free agency will be very interesting, especially with the Yankees looking like a possible player for him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

One wonders about Papelbon...acts a lot like the bottle rocket clemens...of course we all know that his buddy andy misremembered and the bottle never was on the roids

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

More good news for the time being, the Rays are losing 3-1 in the 8th.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brian1976. Show Brian1976's posts

Thank you J-Bay for mentioning what I also watched but Mitch Williams and company on MLB TV did not.  His foot was above bag, not on it!  Paps was shaky to say the least but a save...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Somebody brought this up earlier, and I think it's a good question. With all these "strains", where is the conditioning? I don't remember ball players getting hurt as much when I was a kid as they do now, you know, with all these nagging type injuries. Do the Red Sox need to look at a new conditioning coach?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe------. Show The--Babe------'s posts

The red flops must have paid the ump. He was clearly safe.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

no choice, with clay hurt, lester hurt, beckett having missed some time, wakes with an aging spine, and dice now gone, and who realy knows about the lackey.  Kyle Weiland must come up for a couple starts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester : At this point Bard clearly seems to be the more dominant pitcher.  But he still hasn't proven himself as a closer.  The Papelbon free agency will be very interesting, especially with the Yankees looking like a possible player for him.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Well, Bard cannot prove himself as a closer unless he gets the opportunity.  As for the Yankees, Rivera has not indicated that he will retire. They already overpaid Soriano to be the set up man. Robertson has pitched much better than Pap, this year. I don't see them giving big bucks to Pap. If the Sox re-sign Pap, they will need to think about making Bard a starter. He is far too good to be content to be a set up man, any longer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Matt Albers just said on WEEI that he talked to Lester, and he said he felt fine, but "felt a little something". Not sure what that means, but that's what Albers said.

watching the post game. lester said it was a cramp. may be precautionary

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

I doubt big papi or paps will be back next year, unless it for just a year and at a discount over the loot they got this year

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester : watching the post game. lester said it was a cramp
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

j-bay, you are pure magic. must you always be the bearer of good tidings?  :-)I hope that's all it was, and we are all over-worrying like we did with PD. Wow, can you imagine if THAT had turned out to be what we feared it was? Perish the thought. Hopefully it's just a case of the Sox being mother hen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester : Well, Bard cannot prove himself as a closer unless he gets the opportunity.  As for the Yankees, Rivera has not indicated that he will retire. They already overpaid Soriano to be the set up man. Robertson has pitched much better than Pap, this year. I don't see them giving big bucks to Pap. If the Sox re-sign Pap, they will need to think about making Bard a starter. He is far too good to be content to be a set up man, any longer.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

But as you mentioned, the Yankees paid Soriano $35 million/3 to be a setup man.  Bard shapes up as a lights-out setup man or a closer.  Either way he will get paid handsomely.  I don't think he will return to starting.

Robertson is very impressive.  Still little experience in closing games though.