7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: 7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester

In Response to Re: 7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester : watching the post game. lester said it was a cramp
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

We need to keep in mind that the Sox injuries always seem to be downplayed, at first, then turn out to be more serious than thought. Hope he is okay, but I don't feel too optimistic yet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Remember that we also had that little scare with Beckett that turned out to be nothing too. Hopefully more of the same with Lester. :-(

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Well, either way I doubt John will make his next start Sunday. Just makes sense to skip him even if it's not serious, and they probably will. Look for Aceves or someone from Pawtuckett.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

I say wean him as a starter starting now, we may need him by the end of the year, we got other guys who can do set up

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester : We need to keep in mind that the Sox injuries always seem to be downplayed, at first, then turn out to be more serious than thought. Hope he is okay, but I don't feel too optimistic yet.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

the reason i think it may not be too serious gale is,  no indication anything happened, he just didnt come back out. said he felt a cramp, slight pull. francona errors on the side of caution.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Say hello to the debut of Kevin Millwood in a Boston uniform, I would guess.  Hopefully he can work that crafty veteran thing to offset the 88-MPH cheese.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester : the reason i think it may not be too serious gale is,  no indication anything happened, he just didnt come back out. sias he flet a cramp, slight pull. francona errors on the side of caution.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Hope so.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I'm with you j-bay, I feel a lot better now than I did earlier about Lester. I could be wrong, but I'm hoping the break will be enough, then stick him in the 5 slot to give him extra time, and he may be fine. He'll be skipped Sunday though, I'd be shocked if he wasn't. Well, I'm outta here. Night all......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]I say wean him as a starter starting now, we may need him by the end of the year, we got other guys who can do set up
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]
    Only problem is that he was awful as a starter his first year in the minors. Everyone thought his career was over, then he went to the bullpen and became the stud he is now.

Maybe he could be a starter one day, but I can't imagine you could take a one-inning guy and make him a starter in a matter of weeks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester : Only problem is that he was awful as a starter his first year in the minors. Everyone thought his career was over, then he went to the bullpen and became the stud he is now. Maybe he could be a starter one day, but I can't imagine you could take a one-inning guy and make him a starter in a matter of weeks.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]
    I think his problem the first year was his control. He had been a great starter in college. They made him a reliever to simplify things and it worked out great. Still think he could possibly become a Verlander type starter, someday.  Can't do it this year. Would have to start stretching him out in spring training. In any event, he has to be either a starter or closer. Cannot remain a set up man indefinitely.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester : Only problem is that he was awful as a starter his first year in the minors. Everyone thought his career was over, then he went to the bullpen and became the stud he is now. Maybe he could be a starter one day, but I can't imagine you could take a one-inning guy and make him a starter in a matter of weeks.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

why not Lloyd.....the yankees did it with colonTongue out

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

Jon Lester has a strained lower left latissimus, a large muscle that runs beneath the shoulder. Terry Francona said little more than that the lefty will be examined "extensively" tomorrow.

Lester said he was not concerned and did not see the injury as a long-term issue. But obviously more will be learned tomorrow.

This much we do know: Alfredo Aceves has been told he will start in Lester's place on Sundat against Baltimore. The Sox also need relief help after using the bullpen 11.2 innings the last two days.

It's reasonable to expect that Lester will be placed on the DL tomorrow and reliever recalled from Pawtucket.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

true lloyd, never happen, just like entertaining bold far fetched yet potentially brilliant moves

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

A strain  (pulled muscle ) is excessive stretching of a muscle which may involve tearing of the muscle fiber or connective tendon. As w/ any injury, there are degree of damage to the injured part. Best therapy is cold packs, anti-inflamatories and rest. Because the injury is on his throwing side, my concern is that he could be out until the muscle is completely healed, which may be longer than two weeks (i.e., Carl Crawford).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7/5 Game Thread: Cecil vs. Lester : Yeah, that's what I thought too. Albers did add "but I guess he'll see the Dr. and see what happens." Hopefully he'll just miss one start before the break. We'll see.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]
    Same thing they said about clay. you watch be on the DL this week.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

rays lost

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]rays lost
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

Yeah baby...with Sox injuries Rays losses take on added significance. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Rays are running into the Twins at exactly the wrong time...Twins had a horrible start but are heating up.  Let's make it a sweep tomorrow.