7-9 and I feel fine

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

7-9 and I feel fine

The hitting will come around.  A little warm weather perhaps.  But more importantly, Victorino pressure back in the lineup (and to a lesser extent, Middlebrooks).  I put my chips on a surge as soon as Sugar Shane is back up.  In any case, Hard to be too concerned about the offensive scuffling.  I chalk it up to Just One of Those Weird Baseball Mojo Things.

But, beyond the slumbering lumber, there are other aspects of this start that are actually extremely exciting:

Right now we have three hosses working in the rotation in Lester, Lackey and Peavey.  Peavey is a really pleasant surprise (maybe that hunting knife cut the Washed-Up portion of his pitching hand out).  And Buchholz looks like he is slowly rounding into form.  This is a heck of a rotation going forward.  And, at the end of the day, this may be the single most important element in a playoff ball club.

JBJ is a bonafide major leaguer, and Xander is indeed all-star calibre.

Sizemore is indeed Grady Sizemore.

These were the big ??s going into the season and the early returns are positive.

I am feeling good.

The only thing that I am "concerned" about is the fact that Tanaka really is the real deal, so the Yankees are the Yankees again.  Other than that, I FEEL GOOD (I knew that I would).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: 7-9 and I feel fine

mines grape

what's your favorite flavor space ;-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The hitting will come around.  A little warm weather perhaps.  But more importantly, Victorino pressure back in the lineup (and to a lesser extent, Middlebrooks).  I put my chips on a surge as soon as Sugar Shane is back up.  In any case, Hard to be too concerned about the offensive scuffling.  I chalk it up to Just One of Those Weird Baseball Mojo Things.

But, beyond the slumbering lumber, there are other aspects of this start that are actually extremely exciting:

Right now we have three hosses working in the rotation in Lester, Lackey and Peavey.  Peavey is a really pleasant surprise (maybe that hunting knife cut the Washed-Up portion of his pitching hand out).  And Buchholz looks like he is slowly rounding into form.  This is a heck of a rotation going forward.  And, at the end of the day, this may be the single most important element in a playoff ball club.

JBJ is a bonafide major leaguer, and Xander is indeed all-star calibre.

Sizemore is indeed Grady Sizemore.

These were the big ??s going into the season and the early returns are positive.

I am feeling good.

The only thing that I am "concerned" about is the fact that Tanaka really is the real deal, so the Yankees are the Yankees again.  Other than that, I FEEL GOOD (I knew that I would).

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  There is still a lot to like about this team.  They are getting their hits and walks, just not when they count the most.  But you can tell that the offensive will be more potent than they've been, you can tell that Bogaerts is about ready to explode, you know you are going to get more from pedey, Papi and maybe even WMB + others and the pitching looks really good. 

We've played 5 series with 5 teams and won 3 out of those 5.  It just happens that we got swept in one series and lost 3/4 in another.   But we haven't even played 10% of the season yet, we've only played 16 games.  This team could go 3-4 more games under .500 and then go on a 10 game winning streak and immediately be one of the better teams in baseball.  It's still relatively early, very early actually.

I'am a bit concerned in a few areas, but overall I'm still optimistic and I feel others should be too. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Like the optimism. Something has to give here. Either A.) the Red Sox aren't that good of a hitting team and the trend will continue downward or B.) the Red Sox are a very good hitting team and are just victims of circumstance with all of these f*&^ing double plays. 

Here's what I loved about last night's game:

Jon Lester looked terrific, battled a guy that is one of the best up-and-coming lefties in the game and went toe-to-toe with him. Lester actually looked much better, was more effective until the 8th, and kept the ball down in the zone.

David Ross' RBI 2B was vintage 2013 Sox. Random guy stepping up in a big spot down in the count to have a huge hit. Perfect approach with two strikes. Ross is a perfect fit in a Red Sox uniform. I personally love the guy. (Random side note: having Ross as Lester's personal catcher makes me appreciate Varitek more. There was a guy that had the trust of everyone but Wakefield on the Sox. If it weren't for the knuck, Tek would have been everyone's guy). 

What a ballsy bunt by Herrera, but I loved every second of it (only because it worked haha). Excellent play when it works. Way to make an impact when not a lot is expected out of you. 

Fun game I've started here in 2014: try and predict over/under 13 pitches for Uehara in the 9th. Last night he pushed. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

mines grape

what's your favorite flavor space ;-)

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Cherry ... ngton

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

DAD & BILL-806 concur with SPACEMAN on this one !!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Cherry ... ngton

LOL well done

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

this also keep in mind that last years teams overachieved.  I've been saying for a while that this years team has the capacity to be better and not go as far in the playoffs. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Shane's return will be a big boost to this team on offense and defense.

Hard hit balls will start to fall in or make it over the fences.

The pitching staff should continue to perform well and work out some kinks.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Apols for preaching to the (thinking) choir....from 3 May through 14 May 2013, the eventual World Series winning Boston Red Sox won 2 games and lost 9.

Fortunately they weren't the first 11 games of the 2013 season or there'd have been dozens of dried out, cynical bodies "splattered" all over Congress Street.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

this also keep in mind that last years teams overachieved.  I've been saying for a while that this years team has the capacity to be better and not go as far in the playoffs. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

of course.  Not even counting the magical playoff run, the number of walk-off and come from behind wins last regular season was an absolute anomaly (and such a beautiful thing).  Not fair to expect a wire-to-wire mojo explosion like 2013.  nevertheless, the vital elements are all presentfor a contender.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Playoffs? You're talking playoffs? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm a Zen fan myself.  I watch and see what happens.  I make no predictions and I have no expectations.  I merely experience.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So when Lackey has a strong game in his first start you are not one of the ones screaming to tear up the poor old fellows contract next year and pay him a lot more?

[/QUOTE]

Oh, I might scream and yell about some things, but I'm always aware that the screaming and yelling is completely futile and that I'm only doing it to amuse myself.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Maybe that TJ surgery is only good for one year. This looks and smells like the ol' Lackey.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

you cant expect to catch lightening in a bottle twice but this seems to be lacking the intangibles that made them champs last year...whatever that may be 

As always - 100% correct!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

7-10 and I'm blaming Ben.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I'm much more relaxed about the Sox than I am about the Pats. The Sox have nothing more to prove to me, what a great ride it's been the last ten years. I just want enjoyable, competitive seasons with likeable players. 

Baseball is a long season, peaking early hasn't always been good for the Sox. In fact many times it has not. 

Pats is different because there are legacies at stake and I'd really to see Belichick/Brady win one more, but with the Sox I just want to enjoy the ride. 

Doesn't mean I don't get frustrated with some things (like lowballing Lester on his contract offer), but overall I"m good and look forward to how this plays out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There has got to be some concern about this ball club. They had an unproductive off season.  They did not look sharp in spring training. They still do not look sharp in the early going. Something is missing. They have not been able to put it all together. There have been some hopeful signs, but they certainly do not look like a championship team. We can only say that it is early in the season for just so long. We really need to see some better baseball before too long. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

7-10 and I'm blaming Ben.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Seven and ten

One hundred forty-five

until then

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There has got to be some concern about this ball club. They had an unproductive off season.  They did not look sharp in spring training. They still do not look sharp in the early going. Something is missing. They have not been able to put it all together. There have been some hopeful signs, but they certainly do not look like a championship team. We can only say that it is early in the season for just so long. We really need to see some better baseball before too long. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

I'm offended by your realistic views!  As the saying goes, "if you don't have anything nice to say......"  ;)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Apols for preaching to the (thinking) choir....from 3 May through 14 May 2013, the eventual World Series winning Boston Red Sox won 2 games and lost 9.

Fortunately they weren't the first 11 games of the 2013 season or there'd have been dozens of dried out, cynical bodies "splattered" all over Congress Street.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  I posted this same thing elsewhere.  Everything is magnified at the beginning of the season.

As frustrating as the season has been so far, there have been a lot of positives to take away from the games, as Space pointed out.  The pitching has been good, for the most part.  The hits and runs will come.

I feel good!