7 Qualified Offer Free Agents have signed, 6 are left

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

7 Qualified Offer Free Agents have signed, 6 are left

SIGNED:

1) Robinson Cano, 10/240 (SEA)

2) Jacoby Ellsbury, 7/153 (could be 8/169 - NYY)

3) Brian McCann, 5/85 (could be 6/100 - NYY)

4) Curtis Granderson, 4/60 (NYM)

5) Hiroki Kuroda, 1/16 (NYY)

6) Mike Napoli, 2/32 (BOS)

7) Carlos Beltran, 3/45 (NYY)

AVAILABLE:

1) Stephen Drew

2) Shin-Soo Choo

3) Nelson Cruz

4) Kendrys Morales

5) Ubaldo Jimenez

6) Ervin Santana

Maybe the Sox bring Drew back on a 1 or 2 year deal, but I don't think that the Sox sign any of 6 that are left.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: 7 Qualified Offer Free Agents have signed, 6 are left

If I'm not mistaken, the Yankees have forfeited their first-round draft pick for Brian McCann, two compensatory sandwich-round picks for Jacoby Ellsbury and Carlos Beltran, and lost a potential sandwich-round pick when they re-signed Hiroki Kuroda.

The Yankees' first pick should be in the No. 60-65 range.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2014/order.jsp

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Maybe the Yankees are going to sign Drew to a 3/45 deal, play him at 2B (a waste with Jeter and his wretched defensive metrics at SS), lose their 4th round pick and give the Sox another sandwich pick?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

I would not be surprised if the Yankees signed Santana (especially if Tanaka is not posted) and either Drew or Choo.  Hill pointed out that the Yankees are out their 1st rounder (McCann), comp pick for Granderson (Ellsbury) and their comp pick for Cano (Beltran).  If the Yankees sign Drew and Santana, their first pick will be at 120(ish) and the Sox will have added 5 top players before the Yankees first selection.

AVAILABLE QO Free Agents:

1) Stephen Drew

2) Shin-Soo Choo

3) Nelson Cruz

4) Kendrys Morales

5) Ubaldo Jimenez

6) Ervin Santana

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Everybody is trying to figure how low the Yankees first draft pick is going to be.  Is this really a surprise to anyone?  Isn't this the "Yankee way" for the past 15 years or so?  Signing high priced free agents and then losing their draft picks because of it?   It is the reason why their team is ancient, their farm system is in shambles, and their team salary is out the roof.

If baseball were to ever go to a strict salary cap, the Yankees would be in serious trouble.   I would be able to hear them now saying: "Scouting"?  "Drafting"?  "What is that"?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe the Yankees are going to sign Drew to a 3/45 deal, play him at 2B (a waste with Jeter and his wretched defensive metrics at SS), lose their 4th round pick and give the Sox another sandwich pick?

[/QUOTE]

Or move Jeter to 2B.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to sjddaj's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Everybody is trying to figure how low the Yankees first draft pick is going to be.  Is this really a surprise to anyone?  Isn't this the "Yankee way" for the past 15 years or so?  Signing high priced free agents and then losing their draft picks because of it?   It is the reason why their team is ancient, their farm system is in shambles, and their team salary is out the roof.

If baseball were to ever go to a strict salary cap, the Yankees would be in serious trouble.   I would be able to hear them now saying: "Scouting"?  "Drafting"?  "What is that"?

[/QUOTE]

Since their 1st pick will be after 60, signing more QO free agents is only going to force them to give up lower and lower draft picks. It's actually a smart move to sign them all in one year, rather than spread them out and lose five 1st rounders.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Very true, very smart.

It is still their way of doing things.  Signing free agents and putting little attention to drafting players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL. So true. I, for one, would love for baseball to go to a strict salary cap. It might make the Yankees stronger eventually, but I prefer to have some balance. Especially, when the luxury tax doesn't matter to some teams since it's just meant to silence other teams on their spending.

Hey, the Yankees might have so little experience at it, they might be terrible anyway. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

FTR I love the fact that this season we don't necessarily have to be concerned with free agents. How fun is that?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

SIGNED:

1) Robinson Cano, 10/240 (SEA)

2) Jacoby Ellsbury, 7/153 (could be 8/169 - NYY)

3) Brian McCann, 5/85 (could be 6/100 - NYY)

4) Curtis Granderson, 4/60 (NYM)

5) Hiroki Kuroda, 1/16 (NYY)

6) Mike Napoli, 2/32 (BOS)

7) Carlos Beltran, 3/45 (NYY)

AVAILABLE:

1) Stephen Drew

2) Shin-Soo Choo

3) Nelson Cruz

4) Kendrys Morales

5) Ubaldo Jimenez

6) Ervin Santana

Maybe the Sox bring Drew back on a 1 or 2 year deal, but I don't think that the Sox sign any of 6 that are left.

[/QUOTE]

Looks like the lesser of the top FA's are the ones that get hurt the most [K.Lohse last yr]. Teams are finally realizing that A.Pujols = Michael Wacha; Pedro/Damon= Ells/Buch. Teams just not as willing to give up a top pick for the likes of K.Morales/U.Jimenez/ E.Santana, while all are decent players. I'd rather take my chance w/ the draft, If Yanks might as well sign, because they don't draft very well anyway?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Looks like the lesser of the top FA's are the ones that get hurt the most [K.Lohse last yr]. Teams are finally realizing that A.Pujols = Michael Wacha; 

The way I see it, the cost of the draft pick is offset over the life of the contract.  If the value of the draft pick is $5M, and you sign a guy to a 5-year contract, then it's like adding another $1M each year to the cost.  When you're down to a guy like Morales, a cost of $18M/2 is more like $23M/2.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

perhaps U left the most important part out

player development

In response to garyhow's comment:
    Yanks might as well sign, because they don't draft very well anyway?

2013 Draft: Baseball America ranks Yankees’ haul third best in MLB

By Mike Axisa

In a piece that is free for all to read, Baseball America broke down this summer’s draft using a variety of categories. The Yankees ranked third in the “Best Draft” category, trailing only the Pirates and Diamondbacks. Pittsburgh had two of the top 14 selections. New York, of course, had three of the top 33 selections, so having a strong draft was pretty much guaranteed.

OF Aaron Judge, the middle of those three first rounders, is said to be the fifth best power hitter in the entire draft class by Baseball America. That’s his calling card, he’s a huge dude who can hit the ball a mile from the right side of the plate. That’s a skill that is very hard to come by these days. 2B Gosuke Katoh had the third best pro debut among high school draftees according to the publication. Those three first round picks are going to make or break the team’s draft haul. In this new spending restricted system where talent goes pretty linearly, those top picks are crucial.

carry on guys

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Very true, very smart.

It is still their way of doing things.  Signing free agents and putting little attention to drafting players.

[/QUOTE]

I'm saying, once they have gotten this far, adding a QO free agent and only losing the 95th pick is better than adding one next year and losing a number 1 pick.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

player development

By Mike Axisa

In a piece that is free for all to read, Baseball America broke down this summer’s draft using a variety of categories. The Yankees ranked third in the “Best Draft” category, trailing only the Pirates and Diamondbacks. Pittsburgh had two of the top 14 selections. New York, of course, had three of the top 33 selections, so having a strong draft was pretty much guaranteed.

OF Aaron Judge, the middle of those three first rounders, is said to be the fifth best power hitter in the entire draft class by Baseball America. That’s his calling card, he’s a huge dude who can hit the ball a mile from the right side of the plate. That’s a skill that is very hard to come by these days. 2B Gosuke Katoh had the third best pro debut among high school draftees according to the publication. Those three first round picks are going to make or break the team’s draft haul. In this new spending restricted system where talent goes pretty linearly, those top picks are crucial.

carry on guys

[/QUOTE]

What's it like to constantly be able to defend your team here -- ya know -- without keeping it real? I don't know since I'm a Sox fan here.

Your team hires free agents over and above anything to do with prospects or draft picks. Everyone knows this. You're always prepared to defend your team. I wonder what it's like to have that freedom without abuse from Yankee fans like yourself.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

player development

By Mike Axisa

carry on guys

[/QUOTE]

What's it like to constantly be able to defend your team here -- ya know -- without keeping it real? I don't know since I'm a Sox fan here.

Your team hires free agents over and above anything to do with prospects or draft picks. Everyone knows this. You're always prepared to defend your team. I wonder what it's like to have that freedom without abuse from Yankee fans like yourself.

[/QUOTE]

In all fairness, kim. Would you expect any less from a Sox fan?

Also, how did we accumulate all our stockpile of extra draft picks?

At least partially by signing free agents and letting them go to free agency later on or trading for salary dumps and letting them go to free agency.

2014: _____ for Drew (FA signing)& ____ for Ellsbury (gained in 2005 from O Cab FA)

2011: Barnes & Owens for VMart (Salary dump trade) / Swihart & JBJ for Beltre (FA)

2010: Ranaudo & Vitek for Wagner (Salary dump trade)

2007: Ryan Dent for Foulke (FA)

2006: Bard & Johnson for J Damon (FA) / C Clay & Bates  for B Mueller (FA)

2005: Ellsbury (see 2014) & Lowrie for Cabrera (FA)

The teams that can afford free agents and salary dumps often get rewarded with draft picks when they later bolt. It's a hole in the system, but it has helped both the Sox and Yanks in some ways (as well as savvy teams like the Rays).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Since their 1st pick will be after 60, signing more QO free agents is only going to force them to give up lower and lower draft picks. It's actually a smart move to sign them all in one year, rather than spread them out and lose five 1st rounders.

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Which makes me wonder if next year is the year for the Red Sox to plunge into the FA market with 5-6 good starters available and maybe 70 million to play with. Which might make a 2 year offer for Drew make more sense then a 1 year offer. Then maybe we still get the pick for Drew after 2015, where as after 2014, he might just be only a 3rd rounder saved. Especially if we extend Lester and trade Peavy. Might also explain the Papi 1 year extension. The 2 year deal for Napoli aswell. Go crazy in 2014 with FA then get some picks in 2015.

Just something to think about.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Which makes me wonder if next year is the year for the Red Sox to plunge into the FA market with 5-6 good starters available and maybe 70 million to play with. Which might make a 2 year offer for Drew make more sense then a 1 year offer. Then maybe we still get the pick for Drew after 2015, where as after 2014, he might just be only a 3rd rounder saved. Especially if we extend Lester and trade Peavy. Might also explain the Papi 1 year extension. The 2 year deal for Napoli aswell. Go crazy in 2014 with FA then get some picks in 2015.

Just something to think about.

A quick look at next winter does show a lot of budget room, but also a lot of big shoes to fill that could be costly through free agency. How do you replace Lester, Uehara and Papi with a free agent at less than $17-20M a year?

Here's a look at 2015 as of now, assuming Lester, Peavy, Papi and others are free agents next winter:

No Papi, Peavy, Dempster, Lester, Pierzynski, Gomes, Uehara, Ross, Badenhop, Morales, Miller.

1st of all, we could get picks for Lester, Papi, and maybe Peavy after a big 2014.

Average Contract Salary (used for the luxury limit budget)

13.75M Pedey

13M Victorino

7.47M Buch

4.75M Mujica

4M Breslow (club option)

.75M Lackey  

~44M Total

Then the arbs:

Tazawa 2 of 3 

Doubront 1 of 3

Carp 2 of 3

Nava 1 of 3

de la Rosa 1 of 4

Pre-arb:

Snyder, Villareal, Middlebrooks, Bradley, Bogaerts, Britton, Butler, Hassan, Holt, Lavarnway, Vazquez, Webster, Wilson, Workman, Wright

Rule 5 eligible player after 2014:

Barnes, Coyle, de la Cruz, Luis Diaz, C Martin, M Pena, Noe Ramirez, H Ramos, T Shaw

We could have about 120-130M to spend and still stay under the limit. That's a lot of QO free agents to sign, if we chose that route.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

player development

By Mike Axisa

carry on guys

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In all fairness, kim. Would you expect any less from a Sox fan?

Also, how did we accumulate all our stockpile of extra draft picks?

At least partially by signing free agents and letting them go to free agency later on or trading for salary dumps and letting them go to free agency.

2014: _____ for Drew (FA signing)& ____ for Ellsbury (gained in 2005 from O Cab FA)

2011: Barnes & Owens for VMart (Salary dump trade) / Swihart & JBJ for Beltre (FA)

2010: Ranaudo & Vitek for Wagner (Salary dump trade)

2007: Ryan Dent for Foulke (FA)

2006: Bard & Johnson for J Damon (FA) / C Clay & Bates  for B Mueller (FA)

2005: Ellsbury (see 2014) & Lowrie for Cabrera (FA)

The teams that can afford free agents and salary dumps often get rewarded with draft picks when they later bolt. It's a hole in the system, but it has helped both the Sox and Yanks in some ways (as well as savvy teams like the Rays).

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure we are the same in comparison to the team that relies most in free agents. IMO they like the old players because they may be more willing/already willing to go/be on steriods. I'm not even kidding. Guys who are just around to smack huge HRs, and then go their merry way only to be replaced by the same.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

However, that doesn't change the fact that some Yankees fans are here to make sure we don't get too happy about the team and keep it real, yet there are no Sox fans that are here to make sure Yankee fans don't get too happy and keep it real. Seems one-sided to me, and it's one-sided against Sox fans on a Sox board. Doesn't make sense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

However, that doesn't change the fact that some Yankees fans are here to make sure we don't get too happy about the team and keep it real, yet there are no Sox fans that are here to make sure Yankee fans don't get too happy and keep it real. Seems one-sided to me, and it's one-sided against Sox fans on a Sox board. Doesn't make sense.

[/QUOTE]

I see a lot of Yankee bashing on this board.

The point I was trying to make is that some Sox fans throw stones at the Yanks for spending their way to being competitive, instead of building from within, but compared to most teams in MLB, we spend more or much more. Then, to point to our farm and act like that is how we have gotten good is a stretch. Yes, our farm is good, but partially because we gained extra comp draft picks from players we had signed as free agents earlier or obtained as salary dumps. In a way several of our draft picks were bought and paid for, including Ellsbury, JBJ, Owens, Ranaudo, Swihart and more to come next draft.

Without spending big on free agents, salary dumps, and draft choices gained from spending big, we probably are still looking for our first ring in nearly a century.

Yes, the Yanks spend more, sometimes way more, but let's not kid ourselves. Over the last decade, we have been one of the top 3-5 teams in spending, and most other teams' fans look at us like we look at the Yanks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Or move Jeter to 2B.

[/QUOTE]

I'd love to see Jeter move out of SS

right now, they have Brendan Ryan slated for 3b w/ Jeter @ SS - that's a shame too but Girardi doesn't want Derek to pull a Posada; team players?  really?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Choo, Cruz, and Santana, should be gone. Should help the Sox move up in Round 1, depending on who grabs them.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Choo, Cruz, and Santana, should be gone. Should help the Sox move up in Round 1, depending on who grabs them.

[/QUOTE]

As long as they are not...

1) A team with a protected pick

2) A team that has already signed a QO free agent and lost their 1st pick.

Sections
Shortcuts