#7 was a cheater too.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

#7 was a cheater too.

so really we shouldn't be surprised that the tradition continues in the Bronx.

A Mickey Mantle game used bat was xrayed and discovered that it was drilled and corked.  this is the first proof of the claims of the longtime clubhouse attendant that always said Mantle corked.

atta boy Mick!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: #7 was a cheater too.

Let me back you up.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/corked_mickey_mantle_bat_hits_the_Zw0u7kLe93OdF6tEuPShqN

on the other hand, who's gonna back up the Jays broacasters' SiFi stories?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Cheating is the American way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

typical yankees

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

And of course, Jays stealing signs.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/jays-accused-of-sign-stealing/

in the article, Jays GM said "they don't have the fact" which he was refering to people who were publicly accused of the Jays' batters.  Well, they are just exactly doing that to Bucholz.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Years ago I got fed up with the Rubik's cube. I wasted a few days on it. I found a new way to solve the puzzle. I threw it against the wall and put it together with all sides the same color.

Just like Capt. Kirk, I do not believe in the no-win scenerio.

Cheating???...well, you can call it that. I prefer to say I found a new way to solve the puzzle.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Years ago I got fed up with the Rubik's cube. I wasted a few days on it. I found a new way to solve the puzzle. I threw it against the wall and put it together with all sides the same color.

Cheating???...well, you can call it that. I prefer to say I found a new way to solve the puzzle.

Would you say that you created a new Rubik rubric?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Would you say that you created a new Rubik rubric?

...along with a small dent in the wall.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

typical yankees

And yet, your avatar is Ortiz.

Otherwise, nothing surprises me; you do realize Aaron admitted to taking greenies? And there was a high probability TW, Mantle, Mays, F Robbie, Clemente, and many others did as well?  

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/newsstand/discussion/beyond_the_box_score_anderson_ted_williams_vs_barry_bonds/

And what about the linaments Koufax used on his ailing arm? And the fact most pitchers scuffed balls?

And of recent vintage, Toronto stealing signs is a weak comback to Toronto's unfounded assertions on the RS, since this is done by practically any team that CAN do it.

And how about Schilling's assertions? What a croc to think that cheating is team specific.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Hasn't science demonstrated that corked bats don't really enhance performance?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to edsam44's comment:

typical yankees

so has big fatty "gotten back to us yet"...its been over 2 years-guess hes still working on his research!

Papi was stone-walled by the league.  The players took drug tests in 2003, under the condition that they would remain anonymous.  96 players tested positive, but somehow a list of 104 players found its way into the hands of certain "un-named sources".

Papi was one of the names on the list, but because the original test results were sealed, he cannot verify that he actually tested postive, or what he tested positive for.  He's always maintained his innocence.  It's not clear why there are more names on the list than positive results - one theory is that there are some legal substances that may have caused a false positive, and that "the list" is a preliminary result sheet taken before the false positives were removed.  That's why Ortiz thinks it might have had something to do with over-the-counter supplements that were not banned substances at the time.

Ever since Ortiz's name was leaked, every time a Yankee is caught swigging a jug of Yak semen, all we hear is Ortiz, Ortiz, Ortiz.  At this point, start a thread when a Yankee is not cheating to save us some time.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Otherwise, nothing surprises me; you do realize Aaron admitted to taking greenies? And there was a high probability TW, Mantle, Mays, F Robbie, Clemente, and many others did as well? 

there is a big difference from the culture of popping a pill from a bowl left out by the trainers in teh clubhouse then  to taking the time to drill a hole in the end of your bat, stuff it with cork, and carefully replace the end nub so as to conceal the treachery.

#7 was a straight up cheat.  he cheated in the game of baseball.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

maybe so.  but when the corking took place it was thought to enhance the distance. and not only that....more importantly....it made the barrel lighter so as to increase bat speed. 

it was done to cheat the game of baseball.  it was the precursor to super balls stuffed in a bat.  anyone remember who did that???!  ;)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I just peeled off all the stickers and put them back on so that every side would be the same color.

Now if you'll excuse me,I'm going to have some hot dogs for lunch.What kind you ask?

KHAN'S.........KHAN'S..........KHAN'S

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

maybe so.  but when the corking took place it was thought to enhance the distance. and not only that....more importantly....it made the barrel lighter so as to increase bat speed. 

it was done to cheat the game of baseball.  it was the precursor to super balls stuffed in a bat.  anyone remember who did that???!  ;)

Nettles

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

In response to edsam44's comment:

typical yankees

so has big fatty "gotten back to us yet"...its been over 2 years-guess hes still working on his research!

Papi was stone-walled by the league.  The players took drug tests in 2003, under the condition that they would remain anonymous.  96 players tested positive, but somehow a list of 104 players found its way into the hands of certain "un-named sources".

Papi was one of the names on the list, but because the original test results were sealed, he cannot verify that he actually tested postive, or what he tested positive for.  He's always maintained his innocence.  It's not clear why there are more names on the list than positive results - one theory is that there are some legal substances that may have caused a false positive, and that "the list" is a preliminary result sheet taken before the false positives were removed.  That's why Ortiz thinks it might have had something to do with over-the-counter supplements that were not banned substances at the time.

Ever since Ortiz's name was leaked, every time a Yankee is caught swigging a jug of Yak semen, all we hear is Ortiz, Ortiz, Ortiz.  At this point, start a thread when a Yankee is not cheating to save us some time.

Funny stuff...  LMAO!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Mantle was a great talent with or without the cork bat.  His problem was with performance unenhancing drugs--alcohol--but for most of his career it didn't hurt him.  Joe Dimaggio smoked cigarettes throughout his career.  The Babe was known to imbibe now and then.  Life in the Big Apple does that, I guess. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

there is a big difference from the culture of popping a pill from a bowl left out by the trainers in teh clubhouse then  to taking the time to drill a hole in the end of your bat, stuff it with cork, and carefully replace the end nub so as to conceal the treachery.

#7 was a straight up cheat.  he cheated in the game of baseball.

This story, while an interesting tidbit (and not completely proven, especially given the shady memorabilia business), is, for the most part, a NON-story.  Regardless, if you think this tarnishes in a major way one of the greats of the game, you are quite mistaken. Enjoy your Yankee hating melodrama.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i've always been amazed at watching old baseball vids and seeing how many of the old time players were smokers...guess they weren't as fanatical on fitness as the current generation..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Mantle was a great talent with or without the cork bat.  His problem was with performance unenhancing drugs--alcohol--but for most of his career it didn't hurt him.  Joe Dimaggio smoked cigarettes throughout his career.  The Babe was known to imbibe now and then.  Life in the Big Apple does that, I guess. 

Alcohol + injuries + an idiotic personality off the field did far more to reduce his performance than a corked bat (assuming this is accurate) in his declining yrs did to enhance it, if at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

i've always been amazed at watching old baseball vids and seeing how many of the old time players were smokers...guess they weren't as fanatical on fitness as the current generation..

Maris was a chain smoker.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts