#7 was a cheater too.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: #7 was a cheater too.

And the reason you don't see trades like this anymore pike is because of revenue sharing, funded by the Yankees.

And all the play-off possibilities with all the wild cards.

Everyone has a shot even organizations with little gate revenue, see the Marlins.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Years ago I got fed up with the Rubik's cube. I wasted a few days on it. I found a new way to solve the puzzle. I threw it against the wall and put it together with all sides the same color.

Just like Capt. Kirk, I do not believe in the no-win scenerio.

Cheating???...well, you can call it that. I prefer to say I found a new way to solve the puzzle.

Did you really do that lol.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Mickey cheated himself the most  - with his drinking...he could have been the all time homerun champ if he played sober and worried about longevity...he didnt think it was in his genes and he lived recklessly....watching him swing the bat when he was younger looked like Zeus up at the plate...a freeeak of athleticism/muscle/reflexes.....can you imagine playing mlb drunk/hungover and still getting HOF results? scary...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

OK, you don't have to agree with the scribe / historian who wrote that article. Google the topic and read what others said about the many trades between the two teams. Most will agree that the Yankees came out on top by a huge margin.  No need to be ashamed about the reasons for the Yankee dynasty. It wasn't your fault or any reason for you to feel responsible. You were just a spoiled fan who was born as a Yankee fan. Lucky you.  Just think, in another lifetime you could have been born as a KC fan.

No I don't agree pike.

Every trade is a gamble.

In hindsight the Yankees look good but the Yankees had great GMs too like Lee McPhail, Ralph Houk and George Weiss.

And HOF players who were complimented by players the Yankees traded for.

The Greatest Yankees of all time with the exception of Ruth were home grown.

None of the KC acquisitions are in the hall.

A few guys out of large numbers of trades turned out to be really good like Lou Pinella..

But no different then the trade for Oneil.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Roger Maris was home grown?

Maris is not in the hall.

I believe Maris came up from Cleveland and then was traded to KC

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

pike,

Do you think Maris would have hit 61 in another line-up?

1961:

Maris-3

Mantle-4

Berra-5

Howard-6

Skowron-7

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Mickey cheated himself the most  - with his drinking...he could have been the all time homerun champ if he played sober and worried about longevity...he didnt think it was in his genes and he lived recklessly....watching him swing the bat when he was younger looked like Zeus up at the plate...a freeeak of athleticism/muscle/reflexes.....can you imagine playing mlb drunk/hungover and still getting HOF results? scary...

True.

And they moved Billy Martin (to KC) because they felt he was a bad influence on Mantle, and Martin was a real good 2nd baseman played just like he managed with a lot of fire.

But it turned out that Mickey was his own worst enemy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

You said:

"The Greatest Yankees of all time with the exception of Ruth were home grown."

I asked if Roger Maris was home grown.

Gee pike that must mean that I don't consider Maris one of the greatest Yankees of all time.

Maris isn't in the hall for having one great season the same reason he isn't one of the greatest Yankees ever.

top 5

Lou Gehrig

Ruth

Dimaggio

Mantle

Berra

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Enos Slaughter is in the hall.

But he was picked up by the Yankees close to 40 years old, best days were behind him, he would be the only pick-up from KC that was.

I thought he was, just looked it up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Mickey corked his bat enroute to the triple crown.

My favorite polish boy was the last guy to win the triple crown.  This has nothing to do with anything, I just like carl yazz!

Speaking of yazz, I ignore mryazz because he's not worth my time.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

My favorite polish boy was the last guy to win the triple crown.  This has nothing to do with anything, I just like carl yazz!

The last guy to win was last season Miquel Cabrera, but you're right about mryazz.

And Cabrera on a tear this season too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I would have to see your list of who you considered to be the greatest of all time.

I would also like to see who others in the media thought were the greatest Yankees of all time.

If you are right then that would have to be a coincidence since I don't see why a team's greatest players should be correlated with being home grown.

Of course, before free agency many players stayed on one team and trades were more seldom.

If the Ted Williams trade to NY had happened then would you had considered to have been a great Yankee?

My gut feeling is that it is not logical.

The Yankee dynasty of the 1950s was not only dependent on star players but also on having the best at every position and on the bench.

Didn't Johnny Blanchard hit more HRs per AB than Mantle or Maris in the one big year.

Two Yankees still playing who deserve to be in the top ten Yankees of all time.

Every great team has roll players and why it's still a team sport.

1961 Yankees had three catchers with over 20 homeruns Berra, Howard and Blanchard.

1961 Blanchard played sparingly as a third stringer behind Howard and Berra but still hit 21.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

I'm guessing these guys could have played longer (Yaz smoked, making his longevity even more amazing) if smoking was less prevalent. DiMaggio & Mantle were done at 36, Maris at 34.

Smoking is stupid, killed my dad at age sixty eight but some people can smoke and live to a ripe old age, genes.  Carl yaz worked out and was in great shape for years so that might have had something to do with it.  The yanks wanted him but the offer wasn't good enough.  Sure glad the yanks were more frugle back then!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

You said:

Gee pike that must mean that I don't consider Maris one of the greatest Yankees of all time.

Maris isn't in the hall for having one great season the same reason he isn't one of the greatest Yankees ever.

top 5

Lou Gehrig

Ruth

Dimaggio

Mantle

Berra

You put Berra 5th?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

I'm guessing these guys could have played longer (Yaz smoked, making his longevity even more amazing) if smoking was less prevalent. DiMaggio & Mantle were done at 36, Maris at 34.

Smoking is stupid, killed my dad at age sixty eight but some people can smoke and live to a ripe old age, genes.  Carl yaz worked out and was in great shape for years so that might have had something to do with it.  The yanks wanted him but the offer wasn't good enough.  Sure glad the yanks were more frugle back then!

DiMaggio smoked too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

You said:

top 5

Lou Gehrig

Ruth

Dimaggio

Mantle

Berra

You put Berra 5th?

Are you kidding?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Berra, MVP 3 times, all star 15 times. 10 world series rings.

And MVP runner-up twice.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

The last guy to win was last season Miquel Cabrera, but you're right about mryazz.

Sure, go ahead and burst my bubble Wink Being half polish carl yazz was a favorite at my house. 

I enjoy heated debates as you well know as long as people stay relativley civil.  We all get caught up in the moment at times but I think it's important not to start with the ugly names. I really do ignore people like mryazz and some others.  My rule is, if I wouldn't sit and have a drink with a poster in the real world then I won't talk to him or her on-line.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Sure, go ahead and burst my bubble Wink Being half polish carl yazz was a favorite at my house. 

I enjoy heated debates as you well know as long as people stay relativley civil.  We all get caught up in the moment at times but I think it's important not to start with the ugly names. I really do ignore people like mryazz and some others.  My rule is, if I wouldn't sit and have a drink with a poster in the real world then I won't talk to him or her on-line.

Quite obvious you have much more class than I do 67 :-)