Bambino has to do with being Left handed

http://www.beinglefthanded.com/Left-Handed-Nicknames.html

look at the last one on the list

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: #7 was a cheater too.

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

I was right when I figured you never saw him play and also that you were just another cheap shot artist.

Hanging your hopes on a bat that no one knows if was ever used.

i have been on this thread for a couple months or so....hmmmm....maybe a bit more, yes?  no?.  i have a couple, three, four posts under my belt and will certainly take a shot at the yankees whenever possible.  i wouldnt call it a cheap shot though...i would call it a cheatshot.  just like your boy MM.

wax all you want about how old you are.  big deal if i never saw him play in person.  doesnt change the fact that your hero cheated the game of baseball.

clown that.

A lot of things you never did like see Mantle hit with that bat or meet anyone who did.

You also never heard him called a cheat by any of his cohorts or former competitors.

But a rumor is good enough to slime a hall of famer around these parts just because he played for the Yankees.

Taking a shot at the Yankees is one thing impugning the career of a ball player absent of valid proof says more things about you than it does anything about Mantle.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Babe was nicknamed "Bambino" by the large Italian immigrant community of NYC who followed the Yankees.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Wjy was George Herman Ruth who wasn't even Italian called the Bambino by Yankee fans? Isn't "bambino" an Italian word for baby or toddler?

Did you really just ask why a guy named Babe Ruth was given a nickname that means baby or toddler in Italian?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That was a little .....silly, Baby!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

The Yankees during most of Mantle's career were loaded with talent ( they had a major league minor league affiliate in Kansas City).  During those years the Red Sox were out of the race by the All Star game. Mantle's corked bat wasn't the difference. In the playoff game of 1978 a corked bat was the difference.

Refer to the book 

The Kansas City A's and the Wrong Half of the Yankees: How the Yankees Controlled Two of the Eight American League Franchises During the 1950s 

The KC episode was quite the scandal, and this type of exploitation was done by others, notably (on even a greater scale) by Mr. Rickey at St. Louis & Brooklyn. (It didn't work in Pittsburgh) The Dent corked bat was hearsay, not that it wasn't true (It probably was). But don't overlook the assistance of the Green Monster, as articulated by Yaz on the hit.

Yaz has always said it was a "served up pitch" , Get the facts instead of always spewing your imagination

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

In response to upperco1's comment:

The Yankees during most of Mantle's career were loaded with talent ( they had a major league minor league affiliate in Kansas City).  During those years the Red Sox were out of the race by the All Star game. Mantle's corked bat wasn't the difference. In the playoff game of 1978 a corked bat was the difference.

Refer to the book 

The Kansas City A's and the Wrong Half of the Yankees: How the Yankees Controlled Two of the Eight American League Franchises During the 1950s 

The KC episode was quite the scandal, and this type of exploitation was done by others, notably (on even a greater scale) by Mr. Rickey at St. Louis & Brooklyn. (It didn't work in Pittsburgh) The Dent corked bat was hearsay, not that it wasn't true (It probably was). But don't overlook the assistance of the Green Monster, as articulated by Yaz on the hit.

Yaz has always said it was a "served up pitch" , Get the facts instead of always spewing your imagination

"Yaz said that it was a served up pitch", you say. Give me a source for this quote and I will send you a check .  Never heard that and I have read everything, I thought.

Both Yaz and Dewey were on a local TV show being interviewed. Casual living room, fireplace type of gathering and both of them said Torrez served it up. Ex Yankee Torrez....... Yaz said that everyone knew Dent had only 1 pitch that he could handle with power and he couldn't believe that Torrez threw him one. Can't remember what type of pitch but they were vehement about it. 10-12 years ago I saw this. Go to Ft Myers next spring and ask him..

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

Refer to the book 

"Yaz said that it was a served up pitch", you say. Give me a source for this quote and I will send you a check .  Never heard that and I have read everything, I thought.

Both Yaz and Dewey were on a local TV show being interviewed. Casual living room, fireplace type of gathering and both of them said Torrez served it up. Ex Yankee Torrez....... Yaz said that everyone knew Dent had only 1 pitch that he could handle with power and he couldn't believe that Torrez threw him one. Can't remember what type of pitch but they were vehement about it. 10-12 years ago I saw this. Go to Ft Myers next spring and ask him..

Thanks. I am without words at this revelation. Wish I had seen the interview.

Yaz was in LF and said something like w t f to himself when he saw what Torrez had thrown BEFORE Dent swung. He was pretty angry just talking about it years later. Might have been a 25th anniversary show of the not so famous event. Yaz and Evans were the only 2 in the interview

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

pike having another conversation with himself using different handles.

The theme of this entire thread is "verbal diarhhea" (*pike 2013).

Of course it was a served up pitch besides Dent was using a corked bat.

Mike Torrez pitching the biggest game of his career was later paid off by GS. 

Everyone knows that the Yankees always cheat.

Aaron F. Boone's homerun was served up too.

Mickey used a corked bat.

They play in a band box.

All the Yankees are on juice while the mgmt looks the other way.

Besides "what difference does it make"(*Hillary 2013)? They buy championships.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

A lot of things you never did like see Mantle hit with that bat or meet anyone who did.

You also never heard him called a cheat by any of his cohorts or former competitors.

But a rumor is good enough to slime a hall of famer around these parts just because he played for the Yankees.

Taking a shot at the Yankees is one thing impugning the career of a ball player absent of valid proof says more things about you than it does anything about Mantle.

ummmm...welll.....where should we start.....since my family has spent 3 generations 25 minutes from yankee stadium i think i can positively say that i know someone that saw #7 swing a corked bat (or otherwise) live and in person (not to mention joed, babe ruth, gehrig).  i even have a great grandfather that watched the NY Orioles.....errrr...highlanders play a game.  how bout you?

now that we have that out of the way.....i did not "impugne" the career of a ball player...i pointed out that #7 was a cheat to the game of baseball.  it is up to each individual to decide if it lessons his overall career.

you can type anything you want but it wont change the fact that Mickey Mantle used a cork bat and knowingly cheated.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

ummmm...welll.....where should we start.....since my family has spent 3 generations 25 minutes from yankee stadium i think i can positively say that i know someone that saw #7 swing a corked bat (or otherwise) live and in person (not to mention joed, babe ruth, gehrig).  i even have a great grandfather that watched the NY Orioles.....errrr...highlanders play a game.  how bout you?

now that we have that out of the way.....i did not "impugne" the career of a ball player...i pointed out that #7 was a cheat to the game of baseball.  it is up to each individual to decide if it lessons his overall career.

you can type anything you want but it wont change the fact that Mickey Mantle used a cork bat and knowingly cheated.

If this is proven without a tangible doubt, which includes ruling out possible fabrication by the shady memorabilia industry, then you are right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

slasher9,

Fine.  Your opinion is that a cork bat is cheating.  Mine is that a cork bat is inconsequential and that Ted Williams accomplished exactly the same thing with a legal 32 ounce all wood bat.  Mantle was stupid to do it, but I don't think he gained an advantage with a corked bat.    This cannot be said about PED's or spitballs (which I generally don't object to given all the rules enforced to make it hard on pitchers).    As I said earlier, a corked bat is no worse than pine tar too far up the handle, but its discovery did in fact cost George Brett a dinger. 

Moreover, Mantle's talent was obvious to all.  Only a handful of MLB players possessed those five critical tools to the degree he did.  I resented him because he was a Yankee and despised him for his lifestyle, boozing, etc.  But his ability and accomplishments were real. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

but its discovery did in fact cost George Brett a dinger.

my memory stinks max but I'm thinking

this was one of the few times when a team won a protest

and they ended up giving brett the HR and had to replay

the end of the game a few weeks later

<same should be done on that blown oak HR the other day>

bad memory or not

I'll never forget how mad brett got ;-)

great player

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

slasher9,

Fine.  Your opinion is that a cork bat is cheating.  Mine is that a cork bat is inconsequential and that Ted Williams accomplished exactly the same thing with a legal 32 ounce all wood bat.  Mantle was stupid to do it, but I don't think he gained an advantage with a corked bat.    This cannot be said about PED's or spitballs (which I generally don't object to given all the rules enforced to make it hard on pitchers).    As I said earlier, a corked bat is no worse than pine tar too far up the handle, but its discovery did in fact cost George Brett a dinger. 

Moreover, Mantle's talent was obvious to all.  Only a handful of MLB players possessed those five critical tools to the degree he did.  I resented him because he was a Yankee and despised him for his lifestyle, boozing, etc.  But his ability and accomplishments were real. 

I agree with one of your points in that Mantle could hit the ball over 500 ft. and didn't need to use a corked bat. Cheating comes into question however when a corked bat determines the outcome of one game and the fact that one game can be the season ( 1978 Red Sox). Yes, Mantle, Clemente, Mays, were great all-around ballplayers.

I was under the impression that was hearsay via Mickey Rivers; and while this may be true, if you have something more definitive, which includes some reasonable semblance of proof, please share.

Regardless, that was most likely a fly out in every other MLB ballpark. Rumor has it that down the LF line was anywhere from 279 to 303 feet, as opposed to the official distance of 310 feet. Dent's famous homer was a high pop near the foul pole that barely cleared the barrier. According to Yaz (As recounted via the Yaz-Gammons article covering his most memorable games in the Sep 1981 Baseball Digest, & the Ken Burns Documentary), that was a case of the Green Monster hurting more than any other time. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

bad memory or not

great player

You're dead right.  He got the dinger back thanks to the AL President, and the Royals ended up winning.  The correct umpire ruling should have been--you can't use the bat again until it's cleaned up.  A terrific player, I agree.  And one furious one on that day.  In any case, I think the same of Mantle's corked bat as I do of the Brett's pine tar bat. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Who cares about your family?

This about you.

Buying into something you don't know if it is true for the sake of sliming Mickey Mantle.

No one know if he ever used that bat, no one knows if it was tampered after it was made in 1964.

You would think over the course of an 18 year career if he did indeed use cork he would have been exposed long before now.

How many bats do you suppose a player goes through in one season?

Breaks or shatters during a game? Sammy Sosa was certainly exposed that way.

1964 began Mantle's decline to retirement in 1969.

Nice to see other's here who actually saw MM play speak to his talent as a ball player.

I don't know of another industry more rife with fraud than the sports memorabilia industry.

Look how Barry Halper was exposed with all his fraudulent items from his collection after he passed.

Maybe Civil War artifacts, debatable.

And then you would have to ask yourself how much more value would a supposed Mantle corked bat bring over any of his other bats?

Not around to defend himself although enough of his former surviving team members have come out in support.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

bad memory or not

great player

You're dead right.  He got the dinger back thanks to the AL President, and the Royals ended up winning.  The correct umpire ruling should have been--you can't use the bat again until it's cleaned up.  A terrific player, I agree.  And one furious one on that day.  In any case, I think the same of Mantle's corked bat as I do of the Brett's pine tar bat. 

Brett was a great ball player pine tar or no.

I watched that game and was embarassed as a Yankee fan.

Brett had every right to be furious. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

slasher9,

I agree with one of your points in that Mantle could hit the ball over 500 ft. and didn't need to use a corked bat. Cheating comes into question however when a corked bat determines the outcome of one game and the fact that one game can be the season ( 1978 Red Sox). Yes, Mantle, Clemente, Mays, were great all-around ballplayers.

I was under the impression that was hearsay via Mickey Rivers; and while this may be true, if you have something more definitive, which includes some reasonable semblance of proof, please share.

Regardless, that was most likely a fly out in every other MLB ballpark. Rumor has it that down the LF line was anywhere from 279 to 303 feet, as opposed to the official distance of 310 feet. Regardless, Dent's famous homer was a high pop near the foul pole that barely cleared the barrier. According to Yaz (As recounted via the Yaz-Gammons article covering his most memorable games in the Sep 1981 Baseball Digest, & the Ken Burns Documentary), that was a case of the Green Monster hurting more than any other time.