#7 was a cheater too.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: #7 was a cheater too.

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Otherwise, nothing surprises me; you do realize Aaron admitted to taking greenies? And there was a high probability TW, Mantle, Mays, F Robbie, Clemente, and many others did as well? 

there is a big difference from the culture of popping a pill from a bowl left out by the trainers in teh clubhouse then  to taking the time to drill a hole in the end of your bat, stuff it with cork, and carefully replace the end nub so as to conceal the treachery.

#7 was a straight up cheat.  he cheated in the game of baseball.

I doubt you were alive to see Mantle in his prime.

He was a freak

He was clocked 3.1 to first base batting lefty, no one I've seen since could drag bunt as well as Mantle.

Keep in mind he messed up his leg his rookie season and then played the rest of his career injured.

I don't know about the corked bat, but I do know the parks for the most park were much larger than they are today.

He also won the triple crown in 1956. Amazing how quick some of you guys are to draw your own conclusions, I'm sure he would be revered by you if it had been the Red Sox he played for.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

No, I just don't think that an OP about Mantle using a corked bat should include everything under the Sun involving cheating. Last week when the threads were about Buchholz's " spitball", did anyone bring up Bucky Dent, Mickey Mantle, or the Black Sox?

You mean like this?

The Yankees during most of Mantle's career were loaded with talent ( they had a major league minor league affiliate in Kansas City).  During those years the Red Sox were out of the race by the All Star game. Mantle's corked bat wasn't the difference. In the playoff game of 1978 a corked bat was the difference.

The notable players the Yankees picked up from KC were Ryne Duren, Roger Maris and Lou Pinella.

Both Pinella and Maris played for other organizations previous to KC.

Of the three only Pinella had a couple decent seasons with KC before going to NY. The other two prior to be moved to NY really did not have what you would call great numbers and were not considered anything special.

Maris especially surpassed all expectations especially during the great homerun season of 1961.

Look up their numbers and you will see for yourself.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Just so I'm clear.  I never liked Mantle that much, but absolutely think he should be in the HOF.  One of the very few bonafide five tool players in MLB history--field, throw, run, hit, and hit with power--and I mean he really excelled at all five.  Plus I think he was a pretty good bunter.  Tough to replace Dimaggio in CF at Yankee Stadium, but he did it at a very young age.  Yes, the Yankees had a lot of good players, but he was one of them and normally batted 3d or 4th in a very good lineup that won a bunch of WS. 

And, I say again, I find the corked bat credible and even interesting, but in the end not that important--and very possibly a liability at bat.  As someone else said, Ted Williams did exactly the same thing by going with a legal 32 ounce bat. 

The OP is beginning to sound like everybody's favorite US Senator, Joltin' Joe McCarthy, the man who found corked bats and communists everywhere.  Of course, back in the 1950's there really were communists in the US government, just not quite as many as Tailgunner Joe imagined.  Ike was a pretty good President, but loses points for not going after his fellow Republican, including attacks on Ike's mentor, General George C. Marshall.  So I want to keep my playwright reputation intact by not failing to go after an unfair attack when I see one. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

No, I just don't think that an OP about Mantle using a corked bat should include everything under the Sun involving cheating. Last week when the threads were about Buchholz's " spitball", did anyone bring up Bucky Dent, Mickey Mantle, or the Black Sox?

You mean like this?

The Yankees during most of Mantle's career were loaded with talent ( they had a major league minor league affiliate in Kansas City).  During those years the Red Sox were out of the race by the All Star game. Mantle's corked bat wasn't the difference. In the playoff game of 1978 a corked bat was the difference.

The notable players the Yankees picked up from KC were Ryne Duren, Roger Maris and Lou Pinella.

Of the three only Pinella had a couple decent seasons with KC before going to NY. The other two prior to be moved to NY really did not have what you would call great numbers and were not considered anything special.

Maris especially surpassed all expectations especially during the great homerun season of 1961.

just like your political posts this one is incomplete and misleading.

bobby schantz, clete boyer, and art ditmar were also obtained from KC.

Your response like your political posts absent of common sense.

They were notable players? Hardly.

Boyer had a great glove at 3rd but couldn't hit but all the three would be forgotten if they had not played for a perennial champion.

Big difference is that I saw them play, you went to google.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

You mean like this?

Boyer had a great glove at 3rd but couldn't hit but all the three would be forgotten if they had not played for a perennial champion.

did you get a CLOWN discount on your tickets?

Typical.

Shoot your mouth off, come to find out you don't have clue (about the subject). Google can only take you so far. 

Now it's onto the unclever insults.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

You mean like this?

Typical.

Shoot your mouth off, come to find out you don't a clue (about the subject) now it's onto the unclever insults.

you're an insult magnet. you've probably been insulted everyday of your life.

THATWASME, as if anyone else would even want to be you.

Look garbage boy, the thread is about Mickey Mantle, if we can't discuss the subject get lost.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Art Ditmar and Bobby Shantz.

How did I ever overlook them?

I forgot they existed the season after they left the Bronx.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

You mean like this?

Typical.

Shoot your mouth off, come to find out you don't a clue (about the subject) now it's onto the unclever insults.

you're an insult magnet. you've probably been insulted everyday of your life.

THATWASME, as if anyone else would even want to be you. arrogant POS!

Arrogant.

I Like that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

This is some scary stuff being insulted over the internet by a virtual stranger.

mryazz the tough guy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

This thread has followed the usual path.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Have a beer and calm down mryazz opposing ideas never hurt anyone.

No reason to feel threatened. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

mryazz busy pummeling his keyboard.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Later have a great evening mryazz.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

You mean like this?

Didn't NHSteven dociment sources that claimed that KC was the Yankee farm team during the 1950s. The Yankee owner and KC owner had an under-the-table gentlemens agreement. KC needed the money and the Yanks needed the top players from KC. Google it. You will find many sources that it is fact. There was no free agency but yet a Yankee dynasty and it was due to this dirty deal that the Commissioner ignored.

Yes, but I was referring to your complaint about the fact that the thread topic was about Mantle, not Dent or others, yet your first post prior to this on the same page was about Dent. Unreal.

I'm starting to think you're crazy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

You mean like this?

Didn't NHSteven dociment sources that claimed that KC was the Yankee farm team during the 1950s. The Yankee owner and KC owner had an under-the-table gentlemens agreement. KC needed the money and the Yanks needed the top players from KC. Google it. You will find many sources that it is fact. There was no free agency but yet a Yankee dynasty and it was due to this dirty deal that the Commissioner ignored.

You can google the stats of the players they brought over previous to the trade and none of them had any outstanding numbers.

We're not talking Herschel Walker deals here pike.

Even Maris had lowly numbers.

Not unlike the Kelly for O'Neil trade, or for that matter Betemit for Swisher, who put up decent numbers for the Yankees after floundering in Chitown.

There was no conspiracy to ship talented players to the Yankees most of the trades were gambles like Montero for Pineda.

I remember them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Another the Yankees cheated to win.

If it isn't the steroids it's they stole players from the poor bumpkin KC franchise in the 60s and now just outspend everyone to buy championships.

They deserve no credit for developing any talent. Ever.

No credit for all the championships.

Robbed the poor Red Sox of George Herman too, that's when all the cheating started.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Mickey corked his bat enroute to the triple crown.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

pike, like I said previous, look at the numbers from those players they picked from KC prior to the trade.

Yankees had great forsight on some of them.

And some of the players going to KC, Martin, Larsen, Bauer were moved at the top of their game.

As far as players like Boyer, or even Maris hitting with Mantle it can be said surrounding a players with other good players elevates personal talents.

Like Brosius, O'Neil.

There are a lot of no-names that went to NY and became names like Pinella and Maris.

But there are many more no names who remained no names.

You will also notice that a lot of the players KC traded to NY were not developed from within their system but acquired from other organizations in trades.

Like Maris and Pinella.

KC was a messed up unstable organization in the 60s but the Yankees weren't the only team they traded with. 

How about showing all the trades they made in the 60s, only focusing on the Yankees because the Yankees were successful.

The Hofers Mantle. Berra, Whitey Ford, DiMaggio all developed from within.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I don't see any hofers on that list pike.

Although Maris belongs if not for that one great season which imo is still the record.

I remember Enos Slaughter coming over but when he did he was close to 40 years old, Bob Cerv started out in the Yankee farm system then was traded to KC and a few years later traded back.

Cerv was a decent outfielder.

But it goes to show you how screwed up KC was, Bob Cerv hit above .300 for the Yankees and then traded to KC and while in KC hit above .300 but they traded him back to NY.

Sections
Shortcuts