#7?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: #7?

In response to "#7?":
    Cody Ross went on twitter last night and announced he was given #7. I really think it should be retired. Not for Drew or Trot but for Dom Dimaggio. You already have Pesky, Doerr and Teddy's number retired. It is time to have Dom up there as the fourth member of "The Teammates" Posted by thepeskypole6
    There's definitely some merit to it, and since his brother may be the biggest jerk in the history of baseball, maybe he deserves an honor just for having to grow up with him....

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

#45 should never be worn again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Agreed.  Retire it. Dom was one of the great ones - and likeable besides, unlike his more famous brother.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I agree that the bespectacled one should have his number retired.  However, in lieu of that, i am glad Cody is sporting #7, as he will bring back fond memories of Dirt Dog #1, Trot Nixon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Retire it in honor of the Mick.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: #7?:
    In response to "#7?": There's definitely some merit to it, and since his brother may be the biggest jerk in the history of baseball, maybe he deserves an honor just for having to grow up with him....
    Posted by jasko2248

LOL Funniest thing I've read all day!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I disagree...Dom was not Joe and does not deserve his number retired...plus there's been a few guys to inherit number 7 over the years since Dom retired:
    • Reggie Smith
    • Trot Nixon
    • JD Drew
    • Cody Ross

This one, along with retiring #25, should be dismissed once and for all...although I am all for retiring 45 and, believe it or not...38!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: #7?":
    I disagree...Dom was not Joe and does not deserve his number retired...plus there's been a few guys to inherit number 7 over the years since Dom retired: Reggie Smith Trot Nixon JD Drew Cody Ross This one, along with retiring #25, should be dismissed once and for all...although I am all for retiring 45 and, believe it or not...38!!   Posted by Soxdog67
    I'd retire #34 before #38, but then again I'd hate to see them turn into the Celtics...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I 'm not in favor of retiring too many numbers.

It should be reserved only for the best of the best, so far I think the Red Sox have got it just about right , as far as which players really deserve the honor.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

You guys forgot my favorite No. 7 (in my lifetime).

The Rooster -- Rick Burleson.

But I'm OK in retiring the number for Dom.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

You guys forgot my favorite No. 7 (in my lifetime). The Rooster -- Rick Burleson. But I'm OK in retiring the number for Dom.
    Posted by royf19

Crap roy, you are so right, how did I forget the Rooster!!

Here's the complete list since DD wore #7 in 1953:
    • Sam Mele            1955 
    • Billy Consolo       1956-57 
    • Ken Aspromonte      1957-58 
    • Jim Busby           1959-60 
    • Gary Geiger         1960-62 
    • Dick Stuart         1963-64 
    • Lennie Green        1965-66 
    • Reggie Smith        1967-73 
    • Rick Burleson       1974-80 
    • Mike Easler         1984-85 
    • Ed Romero           1986 
    • Spike Owen          1987-88 
    • Nick Esasky         1989 
    • Phil Plantier       1990 
    • Steve Lyons         1991 
    • Rick Burleson       1992-93 (COACH) 
    • Steve Rodriguez     1995 
    • Trot Nixon          1996, 1998-2006 
    • J.D. Drew           2007-11
    • Cody Ross       2012

·         

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

You guys forgot my favorite No. 7 (in my lifetime). The Rooster -- Rick Burleson. But I'm OK in retiring the number for Dom.
    Posted by royf19

i agree, hes the #7 i will always think of....on a funny note - last yr my cousin visited my brother in AZ during spring training and they ended up going to a game with the Rooster coaching (i forget which team he is with)   they were talking with him for a while and then rooster got very serious with them and wanted to know what they were doing with such hot wives...ROFL....they said he was way cool to talk to....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: #7? : i agree, hes the #7 i will always think of....on a funny note - last yr my cousin visited my brother in AZ during spring training and they ended up going to a game with the Rooster coaching (i forget which team he is with)   they were talking with him for a while and then rooster got very serious with them and wanted to know what they were doing with such hot wives...ROFL....they said he was way cool to talk to....
    Posted by georom4

That's good to hear. He always seemed like he'd be a down-to-earth guy. He's still my favorite SS in my lifetime (only because I remember Rico Petrocelli more as a 3B, rather than SS).

I loved his batting stance. I used to try to imitate it and could never understand how the heck he could hit with that stance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I think the unspoken rule is that the Sox retire numbers only for players in the HOF.
    Since Dom did not make the hall, that explains the reason his # is not retired.  But if Pesky has his retired, then the argument could be made for Dom, and I would support that.  But the #7 I remember best is Reggie Smith.  Smith, Yaz, Petrocelli, the guys who played when I was a kid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Rico, Smith and Yaz wore 6,7 & 8.  If Yaz had switched with Smith, then the numbers would have been used the way the used to be in the old days, identifying their position on the field.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

49 should be retired if and when Tim decides to hang it up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: #7?":
    Rico, Smith and Yaz wore 6,7 & 8.  If Yaz had switched with Smith, then the numbers would have been used the way the used to be in the old days, identifying their position on the field. Posted by parhunter1
    The Yankees were the first team to incorporate #s and they did it based on batting order, which is why Ruth was 3, Gehrig 4, etc...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

49 should be retired if and when Tim decides to hang it up.
    Posted by Alibiike

Yeah in his basement!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I think the unspoken rule is that the Sox retire numbers only for players in the HOF. Since Dom did not make the hall, that explains the reason his # is not retired.  But if Pesky has his retired, then the argument could be made for Dom, and I would support that.  But the #7 I remember best is Reggie Smith.  Smith, Yaz, Petrocelli, the guys who played when I was a kid.
    Posted by parhunter1

Par,

You bring the day back!   Loved Reggie and Rico ... I never saw Dom play. Rooster was one I remember too ... But if they wanted to retire it on the combo of Reggie and Dom, it would not have any problems. Precedent might be set ...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slakrking. Show slakrking's posts

7 maybe, 24 & 25 definetly

Tony C and Dewey deserve it, except for one pitch Tony C may have been the best to ever grace the Red Sox, Dewey is just my all-time favorite ...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SouthSt. Show SouthSt's posts

Dom is worthy of serious consideration . . . during his 10 years, no one had more hits than he did, a stat that very much goes under the radar, and was an outstanding CFer . . . like many, his lost years to service likely keep him from being more noticed when it comes to career stats

if not retiring his number, and that of maybe a few others (e.g. D Evans #24, extra base hit champion of the '80's), I'm a fan of flying flags of signficant names -- something that would also allow for the likes of Ruth, Young, Wood, etc

Sections
Shortcuts