1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: 71 games

In response to jackbu's comment:

All I can say when I read a post like this is wow, there really are some ignorant people out there." That is a stat that someone desperate to hold on to the past would use. Ortiz isn't close to being the player ted was. Sorry if my facts ruffle the girls in the crowd. Anything I post here are facts and not made up. Ortiz missed 71 games this season and there is the chance that this will be the way next season. I am not about to offer a 37 year old a multi year contract, especially when we see other older players breaking down in a hurry. Despite what he did before the injury, those are the numbers he ended with the season. Those are the numbers the owners should base their offer on.

You missed the point ... it was the "clown" reference that offended many readers (and now you've compounded matters with a sexist reference).

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All I can say when I read a post like this is wow, there really are some ignorant people out there." That is a stat that someone desperate to hold on to the past would use. Ortiz isn't close to being the player ted was. Sorry if my facts ruffle the girls in the crowd. Anything I post here are facts and not made up. Ortiz missed 71 games this season and there is the chance that this will be the way next season. I am not about to offer a 37 year old a multi year contract, especially when we see other older players breaking down in a hurry. Despite what he did before the injury, those are the numbers he ended with the season. Those are the numbers the owners should base their offer on.

You missed the point ... it was the "clown" reference that offended many readers (and now you've compounded matters with a sexist reference).

[/QUOTE]

I think he got the point, which he tried to re-direct it to Papi's injury.  It happens all the time when people say incredibly stupid things.  They'll point to a single correct thing (as if real RS didn't know Papi was injured), while hoping you'll ignore the rest of the stupidity.

I don't know anything about Jackybu, but he/she should've just stuck to a defensible position, like questioning a 2-year contract for someone his age.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Just give him an one year contract.  If he didnt have achilles problem, I could give him a two years contract.  But now he have a serious achilles problem, I wouldnt give him two years contract!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Ortiz is not signed by Saturday, the Red Sox are expected to make a qualifying offer of one year and $13.3 million. That would guarantee the Sox receiving a draft pick as compensation if Ortiz signs with another team

[/QUOTE]

And Ortiz will take it because despite what he will say, no one else is making a better offer, including his good friend Tito or the Yankees.

[/QUOTE]
    Last time I checked Tito is a manager on a rebuilding team not a GM.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

papi is going to be resigned for what he has done in the past more than what he can do in the future...he is older and more injury prone but even in that state he can still hit the ball for power and production....its a two yr deal - i wouldnt lose much sleep over it....this team is going nowhere unless ben gets off his asssss and signs some pitching.....ortiz is a minor delimma

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So maybe jackbu is a Red Sox fan, but he's definitely an obnoxious moron.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

papi is going to be resigned for what he has done in the past more than what he can do in the future...he is older and more injury prone but even in that state he can still hit the ball for power and production....its a two yr deal - i wouldnt lose much sleep over it....this team is going nowhere unless ben gets off his asssss and signs some pitching.....ortiz is a minor delimma

[/QUOTE]

I think you're probably right...but Ortiz held a pretty hard line last year on negotiations and wound up going through arbitration. I don't think Ortiz can have it both ways. Right now..he's looking for 2 years at between 25-30 million..and the Sox are offering two years at several million less. I think David has to compromise on one or the other. I would not sign him to 2 years at the money he is looking for...no way. 

Perhaps had he finished this season healthy..but achilles injuries can be tricky and especially at his age.

I think the Sox should stick to their offer and leave the ball in Ortiz' court. He either accepts or doesn't. I think they have bigger fish to fry than Ortiz in this off season.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So maybe jackbu is a Red Sox fan, but he's definitely an obnoxious moron.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I thought that you ( liked and welcomed and enabled) all trolls and morons. J-Bay does.

[/QUOTE]

Well he is enabling you...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont think 20-25mm over 2 years would cripple this team. Ortiz has been incredibly durable over his career. 150+games 4 times and 140+ games 3 times. The only other years he lost time and his production went south was due to being hit on the wrist by a pitch.

I agree that his injury could hamper a guy his age, but I would take my chances on that. ortiz is still in great shape and does not play in the field, so the wear and tear will be a lot less than if he did. We are not a small budget team and as long as its not a crazy CC or lackey type contract, we can and should make the deal in situations like this. Ortiz should retire in a Sox uni.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

Do you expect someone who despises all trolls and their enablers to remain silent ? Which side are you on?

[/QUOTE]

You are a troll, Softy is a lunatic, you are much worse. I would rather read some idiot's rantings, than be disrupted by you. You make the board less fun to be on. You are the problem here not the people you disagree with.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

agree

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

joe:

If you think ortiz should be offered a two year deal without considering the fact that he missed 71 games this season, then I am pretty sure you aren't an investment banker. 

The guy complains to the media all the time on how he doesn't get respect.  He was part of the problem last season and the season before and not part of the solution.

The sox did not get their 14.5 million worth from Ortiz this past season.  You are a pink hat fan if you think they did. Obviously there is a problem in the negotiations, because the talks aren't moving along as fast as first reported.

[/QUOTE]

You are obviously a little short on the reading skills assessment.

1-I did not say we should sign Papi to a 2-year contract.  What I have said in the past is that we should make him a qualifying offer, and then let the market decide.  If he wants to accept the ~ $13.3M, I'm fine with that.  If he wants to shop himself around, I am fine with matching his top offer.  He is almost certainly not going to do any better than the qualifying offer.

2-Yes, I am put off by his salary complaints.  However, that is offset by the fact that he is one of the few honest players that can actually talk to the media.

3-The RS did not get their money's worth from an injured player?  Couldn't you make that claim about every single post-arb injured player?  Did the NYY get their money's worth from Gardner? Did TO get their money's worth from Bautista?  Did Philly get the money's worth from Utley?  that's a meaningless statement.

Like I said (on the off chance that you'd like to discuss what I said), you should stick to the facts instead of your personal animus.