1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: 71 games

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

papi is going to be resigned for what he has done in the past more than what he can do in the future...he is older and more injury prone but even in that state he can still hit the ball for power and production....its a two yr deal - i wouldnt lose much sleep over it....this team is going nowhere unless ben gets off his asssss and signs some pitching.....ortiz is a minor delimma

[/QUOTE]

That's about right.  In an ideal world, we sign him to the qualifying offer and get our money's worth.  If we sign him to a two-year deal, maybe we get one good year, and one bad year where maybe he has to platoon.  This is kind of the case with a lot of franchise-type players.  Even if we lost $12M on the tal end of a 2-year contract, I'd consider it a farewell gift.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

papi is going to be resigned for what he has done in the past more than what he can do in the future...he is older and more injury prone but even in that state he can still hit the ball for power and production....its a two yr deal - i wouldnt lose much sleep over it....this team is going nowhere unless ben gets off his asssss and signs some pitching.....ortiz is a minor delimma

[/QUOTE]

That's about right.  In an ideal world, we sign him to the qualifying offer and get our money's worth.  If we sign him to a two-year deal, maybe we get one good year, and one bad year where maybe he has to platoon.  This is kind of the case with a lot of franchise-type players.  Even if we lost $12M on the tal end of a 2-year contract, I'd consider it a farewell gift.

[/QUOTE]

+1

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If the Sox and Ortiz cant come to an agreement by today, then a qualifying offer will be made and ortiz will hit the open market. Im sure the Sox would like to have the chance to match any teams offer, but I dont think Papi will be offered more than what the Sox are presumably offering which is in the neighborhood of 2/22...

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Since Ortiz became a full-time player in 2004, in 9 seasons he's played at least 145 games 7 times.  Give it a rest.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The fact is that injuries can happen to any athlete. Ortiz is no exception. That is what was so remarkable about Cal Ripken Jr.  There is no guarantee that anyone will stay healthy for a full season. That is why depth is so important. You need capable backups.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Jacoby Ellsbury missed more than 71 games two of the last 3 years, so you must be ecstatic he has not been extended...

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

After listening to comments from David Ortiz this morning, I guess I will have to rename this thread, 71 plus games.

Seems David is in agreement with us that he will not be starting this opening day. Did anyone catch the number of times he said it was not the achilles?  If david can persuade the front office that the achilles is better and now there is a new problem, he stands to collect another 4 million dollars next season.

Now that it is painfully obvious the front office made a mistake in signing Ortiz, there is one blogger who can only say that it is not our money so why should we care.  Well I go to games and would like to see a good team on the field.  Throwing money at guys who admit to being 37 but could be 42 and injured half of last season, is not putting the best team on the field.

At least you didn't call him a clown like you did in the OP :-|

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

71 is the number of games which Ortiz missed last season.  I am not sure what the red sox front office is thinking when they offer this clown a two year deal.

Ortiz will no doubt miss a lot of games next season.  He will no doubt go 2 for 20 many times.  He will also get his hits and homers but they will be once again off bad teams and bad pitchers.

who do you think you are calling Ortiz a clown.  

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

He had me laughing this morning more then most clowns do, when he kept saying his achilles is fine but now it is a heel problem. Ortiz is already trying to collect another 4 million on next year's salary.

And the obsession continues...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to Yonkersman's comment:

http://www.aol.com/video/free-speech-trolls-is-anonymity-good-for-free-speech/517513828/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D223832

So maybe you could explain to me how jesseyeric or jete02fan or greenpartycelt or nhsteven are trolls?

+1

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i dont think papi can be called a clown but he def has had his share of bad moments...the RBI thing was embarrassingly idiotic of him but i was more disappointed by his refusal to call out Manny after he threw that senior citizen down for the tix or when he was suspended for PEDs....and then i realized that he didnt say much then because the PED caught up with him...and he promised to get to the bottom of it and then he never said a word after....that press conference he held to clear things up was pathetic.  It is one thing to be a fan of a player, it's another thing to be a fanatic...case in point, my avatar. Is Clemens a clown? He was a great ballplayer who cheated, lied about, got caught, and has no remorse for what he did. Couldnt the same thing be said about papi?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts