7th game ALCS-RS vs. NYY at Fenway-Red Sox down 3-0,9th inning,bases loaded, 2 outs Who do you want at bat?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Re: 7th game ALCS-RS vs. NYY at Fenway-Red Sox down 3-0,9th inning 2 outs Who do you want at bat?

David Ortiz

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Re: 7th game ALCS-RS vs. NYY at Fenway-Red Sox down 3-0,9th inning 2 outs Who do you want at bat?

The Greatest Clutch Player IN Red Sox History=David Ortiz.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Ortiz definitely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury...the next Ted Williams...

LOL

Papi in his prime over anyone else in MLB history in that situation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

None of the above simply because none of the above can win the game with nobody on base we need baserunners !!  LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Papi. No contest.

Not to rub it in, but Yaz was in a similar situation, bottom of the 9th, in the 1978 playoff game with NYY. He popped up.  Broke my heart.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

any of them...as long as they make an out..Wink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: 7th game ALCS-RS vs. NYY at Fenway-Red Sox down 3-0,9th inning,bases loaded, 2 outs Who do you want at bat?

Yaz.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: 7th game ALCS-RS vs. NYY at Fenway-Red Sox down 3-0,9th inning,bases loaded, 2 outs Who do you want at bat?

Not to rub it in, but Yaz was in a similar situation, bottom of the 9th, in the 1978 playoff game with NYY. He popped up.  Broke my heart...

That was a sad moment. I remember thinking "he deserved a hit".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: 7th game ALCS-RS vs. NYY at Fenway-Red Sox down 3-0,9th inning,bases loaded, 2 outs Who do you want at bat?:
    Not to rub it in, but Yaz was in a similar situation, bottom of the 9th, in the 1978 playoff game with NYY. He popped up.  Broke my heart... That was a sad moment. I remember thinking "he deserved a hit".
    Posted by moonslav59
    Yaz did not have Manny in the on deck circle.

Interesting article today about David where he talked about having to learn to stop chasing pitches way out of the zone. He almost never had to worry about that when Ramirez was here.

While there were time I wondered why teams did not pitch around Papi and take their chances with Manny none really did until 2007. In 2007 ALDS the Angels tried it and Manny just demolished them.

But if my had my pick between a 67 Yaz and a 04 Ortiz I'd need a long time to think about it. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Whoever it is will have a %70 chance of making an out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I Agree with Moon, I'd take Papi in his prime.  Not only was Ortiz a monster hitter...but he was clutch.  Today I think I would take Gonzilla, I also think he may be the next great clutch hitter on the sox.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Moon,

I remember reading what Gossage said about that game years later, comparing to the game in the ALCS against the Royals when he gave up a game-winning homer to George Brett. He said he threw the exact same fastball to both players. The one to Yaz tailed just a bit, causing him to pop up. The one to Brett didn't. He was talking about how he hated facing Yaz and said if he through the same pitches again, the one to Yaz might stay straight and Yaz would have crushed it and the one to Brett would have tailed and he would have popped up.

I answered Yaz because he's my favorite player and was great in the clutch. If it was circa 1967, it would be hard not to take him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

In Response to Re: 7th game ALCS-RS vs. NYY at Fenway-Red Sox down 3-0,9th inning,bases loaded, 2 outs Who do you want at bat?:
    In Response to Re: 7th game ALCS-RS vs. NYY at Fenway-Red Sox down 3-0,9th inning,bases loaded, 2 outs Who do you want at bat? : Yaz did not have Manny in the on deck circle. Interesting article today about David where he talked about having to learn to stop chasing pitches way out of the zone. He almost never had to worry about that when Ramirez was here. While there were time I wondered why teams did not pitch around Papi and take their chances with Manny none really did until 2007. In 2007 ALDS the Angels tried it and Manny just demolished them. But if my had my pick between a 67 Yaz and a 04 Ortiz I'd need a long time to think about it. 
    Posted by fivekatz

It's a great point about Manny waiting on deck.  Krod intentionally walked Papi in 2007 and Manny hit one to the Pike.

Off that list I'll still take 2004 Papi, even with Luis Rivera on deck. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon,

I remember reading what Gossage said about that game years later, comparing to the game in the ALCS against the Royals when he gave up a game-winning homer to George Brett. He said he threw the exact same fastball to both players. The one to Yaz tailed just a bit, causing him to pop up. The one to Brett didn't. He was talking about how he hated facing Yaz and said if he through the same pitches again, the one to Yaz might stay straight and Yaz would have crushed it and the one to Brett would have tailed and he would have popped up.

I answered Yaz because he's my favorite player and was great in the clutch. If it was circa 1967, it would be hard not to take him.

Well,I loved Yaz, but Papi had such an amazing clutch hit streak that lasted years that I just have to pick him.

Sidenote: I had always thought Manny should have batted 3rd (higher OBP) and Papi 4th (more HRs), and to piggyback off katz's post, it's hard to imagine what Manny might have done if Papi was always on deck.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Not to rub it in, but Yaz was in a similar situation, bottom of the 9th, in the 1978 playoff game with NYY. He popped up.  Broke my heart... That was a sad moment. I remember thinking "he deserved a hit".
    Posted by moonslav59

Very sad, but for me made sadder by the fact that I was in New York City at the time and the revelers were many.

Yaz deserved the hit; it would have been nice for RSN as well.

But this was the 1978 Yaz. The 1967 Yaz was formidable, but no one has had the walkoffs that Papi did.  I stay with my choice of Papi.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

In Response to Re: 7th game ALCS-RS vs. NYY at Fenway-Red Sox down 3-0,9th inning,bases loaded, 2 outs Who do you want at bat? : Yaz did not have Manny in the on deck circle. Interesting article today about David where he talked about having to learn to stop chasing pitches way out of the zone. He almost never had to worry about that when Ramirez was here. While there were time I wondered why teams did not pitch around Papi and take their chances with Manny none really did until 2007. In 2007 ALDS the Angels tried it and Manny just demolished them. But if my had my pick between a 67 Yaz and a 04 Ortiz I'd need a long time to think about it. 
    Posted by fivekatz

Indeed, Katz. The corollary would be: who would you want in the on-deck circle?  Manny protecting Papi or Tony C/Hawk Harrelson (1967) or Pudge Fisk (1978) protecting Yaz?

I gotta go with Manny.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

I'd take Manny, just cuz I dont think I ever saw a better swing ever except maybe Bonds, who I cant stand...Manny was always a monster...(and I grew up watching Yaz, folks...)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

Apparently Salty is a new option after tonight, right?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd take Manny, just cuz I dont think I ever saw a better swing ever except maybe Bonds, who I cant stand...Manny was always a monster...(and I grew up watching Yaz, folks...)

I remember always counting the batters until Manny got up next in a close game.

High Leverage:
    Manny
    2001: 1.038
    2002: 1.118
    2003:   .921
    2004: 1.120
    2005: 1.105
    2006: 1.153
    2007:   .803

Playoffs: .937 Overall OPS (not "high leverage" numbers)

Papi:
    2003: 1.023
    2004: 1.063
    2005: 1.312
    2006: 1.100
    2007: 1.019
    2008:  .859
    2009:  .839
    2010:  .786
    2011:  .425 (small sample)

Playoffs: .908 overall OPS

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from massillon8. Show massillon8's posts

Manny or Ortiz, but only if they had their full cycle of PEDs,

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

In Response to Re: 7th game ALCS-RS vs. NYY at Fenway-Red Sox down 3-0,9th inning 2 outs Who do you want at bat?:
    Ellsbury...the next Ted Williams... LOL Papi in his prime over anyone else in MLB history in that situation.

Posted by moonslav59

Really? Frank Robinson has more career walk off hits than anyone in history.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

Posted by moonslav59

Exactly why did he "deserve" a hit?

Sections
Shortcuts