8/1 Game Thread: Tomlin vs. Lackey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: 8/1 Game Thread: Tomlin vs. Lackey

Another thing that scares me about this team is that they do not come from behind, which is a championship quality. The competition is getting better here guys.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: 8/1 Game Thread: Tomlin vs. Lackey:
    another stinker from lackey and bard decided to follow suit. Get used to it guys. Everyone around us got better, we pretty much stayed the same. Theo had the chance to get the guy we needed (well 2 guys we need, but one more than the other) and he failed. Once again he could not let go of his prized prospects. So now we are stuck with an injury prone 32 year old starter who is supposed to be our 3 starter. This team will not stand a chance against the phillies or giants. I just want to congratulate theo epstein on throwing away a season that was filled with such promise. Our bullpen sucks, he does nothing when he could have got mike adams. Our rotation sucks, he adds 1 injury prone starter. Our shortstop sucks, so he gets mike aviles for a younger ss who is better defensively. We have questions in right field, he does nothing. Please do not tell me he is good gm, because he is not. You do not trade for an often injured starter to replace an often injured starter. common sense. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

This post probably a little more extreme than I would put it, but I agree that other teams improved more than the Red Sox did. The RF situation is ok with Reddick. I don't blame Theo as much as you. Kurodi didn't want to go, Jiminez was too expensive (and probably not as good as he once was), and Bedard was sort of all there was left. He MIGHT be ok as a two month rental. The real problem is Lackey. Lackey MUST deliver, and he didn't tonight. If John Lackey would do what he used to do, all this would be moot. That's what has me worried.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe---------. Show -The--Babe---------'s posts

without buchholz lackey has got to be better than that
    Posted by canetime

Don't worry, harness will be here soon to tell you how wrong you are, that the ball came out of his hand well...yada....yada.....yada

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

another stinker from lackey and bard decided to follow suit. Get used to it guys. Everyone around us got better, we pretty much stayed the same. Theo had the chance to get the guy we needed (well 2 guys we need, but one more than the other) and he failed. Once again he could not let go of his prized prospects. So now we are stuck with an injury prone 32 year old starter who is supposed to be our 3 starter. This team will not stand a chance against the phillies or giants. I just want to congratulate theo epstein on throwing away a season that was filled with such promise. Our bullpen sucks, he does nothing when he could have got mike adams. Our rotation sucks, he adds 1 injury prone starter. Our shortstop sucks, so he gets mike aviles for a younger ss who is better defensively. We have questions in right field, he does nothing. Please do not tell me he is good gm, because he is not. You do not trade for an often injured starter to replace an often injured starter. common sense. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

???????????????  You can't be serious.  One bad game and you post this?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

What is this lefty reliever doing on this team with Okajima pitching well in the minors. He stinks and yet he still is on this roster.
    Posted by AL34

dont get me going on the oki thing...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

hey joel, dont know if u read my coomment, but i checked out ells and he did make the fake bunt move

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: 8/1 Game Thread: Tomlin vs. Lackey : dont get me going on the oki thing...
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

3,000th post CC. Congrats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

Posted by redsoxpride34

Please change your name because this doesn't sound like Red Sox Pride to me... We have a good bullpen, we have two aces and now bedard who has had a good season so far. and from what i saw out of Mike Aviles he is a good fielder with a good arm. We have a good young right fielder and why block a position that has so many prospects competing for it? Lackey had one bad inning other than that it was actually a good start. why dont you actually watch the game and notice that he pitched good. Daniel Bard can't throw up a goose egg every time he comes out of the bullpen so don't blame him. Cleveland is a good young team who is on the verge of being a  break out team they suited up for a post season run knowing that getting in front of the tigers shouldn't be to hard. We can't win every game even though it seems like we can.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: 8/1 Game Thread: Tomlin vs. Lackey : Not about that jim. Big difference between "tortured souls" and people that have an honest understanding of what might happen in a series, and have genuine questions about whether or not the SP is going to hold up. There are some things people that have been fans for years can just sense coming. No one wants the Sox to win more than me, but (and this is a 4 game series, not 3) I think we'll be fortunate to get out of this with a split after what's happening tonight. Barring a comeback in the 9th, which is not likely.
    Posted by TheExaminer

I certainly understand your point but I doubt any player in that clubhouse thinks they will be lucky to split with the Indians.  I'm sure many in 2007 were saying they could feel the end coming when Beckett took the mound in game 5 against the Indians.  Instead of getting beat, he dominated and the Sox rolled.  These players have that mentality.  I'm telling you that I love this team and will go to war with them anyday against anybody...including the Phillies.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

At least we are not going quietly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

is that the reverse pivot? would you want a better 2-3-4-5 guys coming up for a comeback?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: 8/1 Game Thread: Tomlin vs. Lackey : 3,000th post CC. Congrats.
    Posted by TheExaminer

wow, i never noticed that.. thanks i guess

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Posted by redsoxpride34

This is flat out the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.  This is truly unbelievable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Another thing that scares me about this team is that they do not come from behind, which is a championship quality. The competition is getting better here guys.
    Posted by AL34

Yea that is a concern

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LondonRedSox. Show LondonRedSox's posts

Frown

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Babe-------------. Show The-Babe-------------'s posts

without buchholz lackey has got to be better than that
    Posted by canetime

I'm sure harness will be along shortly to tell you how wrong you are about lackey....that the ball came out of his hand good....yada, yada, yada

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: 8/1 Game Thread: Tomlin vs. Lackey : I certainly understand your point but I doubt any player in that clubhouse thinks they will be lucky to split with the Indians.  I'm sure many in 2007 were saying they could feel the end coming when Beckett took the mound in game 5 against the Indians.  Instead of getting beat, he dominated and the Sox rolled.  These players have that mentality.  I'm telling you that I love this team and will go to war with them anyday against anybody...including the Phillies.
    Posted by jimdavis

True, but I'm not one of the players in the clubhouse, I'm a fan. I'm sure none of the Cleveland players in 07 felt like they were going to blow that 3-1 either,but they did. So what it comes down to is what happens on the field, which I can't contribute anything to. For what it's worth, I didn't have much doubt that Beckett would win that game 5 in 07. I do have a little doubt about Tim Wakefield and certain parts of the rotation. No matter what their internal attitude may be, they still have to perform on the field, and without Bucholz, with questions about Lackey, and Bedard an unknown those questions could be answered in the positive or negative. This time tommorow night, if Wake puts out a good effort and wins, I might feel better about saying we could take 3 of 4. My belief one way or another though, will have no effect on what happens on the field.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ummm ya our bullpen sucks, not just because of tonight they have sucked all year. I mean we have randy williams in our pen lol. He is terrible. His career era is over 5. morale is ok but is not great. aceves has been on and off lately, jenks has done s**t all, wheeler has been average at best. Bard has been good lately after starting off bad, and paps has be good. Its also the wear that the pen has endured due to the fact that they have been used to heavily. the rangers got adams for pretty marginal prospects. though i am sure theo is still counting on jenks(another one of his great pick ups) to be a late inning guy. i dont think theo has ever admitted to making a bad move. he always trys to ratonalize his bone headed moves when there is no defense for making so many terrible signings. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

ummm ya our bullpen sucks, not just because of tonight they have sucked all year. I mean we have randy williams in our pen lol. He is terrible. His career era is over 5. morale is ok but is not great. aceves has been on and off lately, jenks has done s**t all, wheeler has been average at best. Bard has been good lately after starting off bad, and paps has be good. Its also the wear that the pen has endured due to the fact that they have been used to heavily. the rangers got adams for pretty marginal prospects. though i am sure theo is still counting on jenks(another one of his great pick ups) to be a late inning guy. i dont think theo has ever admitted to making a bad move. he always trys to ratonalize his bone headed moves when there is no defense for making so many terrible signings. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

Too many Buds under your belt tonight man. I'm annoyed by the loss too, and have genuine concerns about the SP, but the bullpen has been awesome this year. Bard can't end the year with a 0.00.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

This game was hard to take. We got getting beat and beat up.  I keep telling myself try not to look back, but.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

Disappointing evening. Offense missed several opportunities to create distance early and Lackey was...well, Lackey. Simply put, he needs to be better.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

This is not the 2009 Jon Lackey. I am tired of hearing about the wife excuse as well. I went to war and left a wife at home who worked with a 6 year old and a three year old with no support as a reserve soldier. I did my job, he has to do his and he is making a hell of a lot more than I was in the army.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

This game was hard to take. We got getting beat and beat up.  I keep telling myself try not to look back, but.  
    Posted by proftom

Sorry proftom, but this post--combined with the wine and glass avatar--is funny. Just don't hit the sauce too hard tonight--tommorow is a new day...LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

This is not the 2009 Jon Lackey. I am tired of hearing about the wife excuse as well. I went to war and left a wife at home who worked with a 6 year old and a three year old with no support as a reserve soldier. I did my job, he has to do his and he is making a hell of a lot more than I was in the army.
    Posted by AL34

I hear ya AL. But, he'd have to do this in the next couple starts for me to get to exactly where you're at. Getting the car warmed up for the trip though...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I still cannot believe that Theo could not pick up one decent right handed hitting outfielder as well. Teams like KC want to shed payroll Francour would have been a perfect fit for them.

Sections
Shortcuts