8 Years Later

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

8 Years Later

Happy Thanksgiving all posters. I served a 13 month tour of duty with the Military Police in Iraq from 2003 to 2004. In particular after several missions when we lost 4 MP personnel Killed In Action, Thanksgiving in Baghdad was not looking as one of my favorite places to be for the Holidays. It was the letters from home and people I never knew that poured in to us and kept us going through those tough times. I always looked forward to hearing about my beloved Red Sox. I remember one of the guys from Worcester, Mass running up to me and telling me, Sir "The Red Sox are close to getting Curt Schilling".  After watching them lose Game 7 to the Yankees with the home run from Aaron Boone, I was so upset I kicked two sandbags into the Tigris River. I guess it was a culmination of the soldiers we lost and the Sox losing to the Yankees. But anyway the Curt Schilling news picked me up as well as the letters from home. It was also great getting out ofbtheir and being home to watch the Red Sox win the World Series in 2004. My wife said the red Sox waited till you were home so you could see them win it for the first time.

Anyway its good to be home and with my familiy, and I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: 8 Years Later

AL, thanks for sharing that and thanks for your service to our country.

I'm glad you are home safe and you got to see the Sox win 2 world championships in 4 years, but the cupboard has been pretty barren for a while and here's wishing the Sox organization, all Sox fans and their families a great Thanksgiving and better luck starting in 2013.

No Curt Schilling this Turkey Day just a Jonny Gomes! Not quite the same impact I'd have to say!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

A great story, AL.  Thanks for sharing it. 

I believe that everyone has a story but anything I have to say would pale in comparison to yours so I'll just say, Happy Thanksgiving, and we're all glad you're home safely. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AL34, thank you for your service, sacrifice and the great job you and your borthers have given for the cuase of liberty! Those were great Red Sox memories! I remember how confident and articulate recent world series champion 1st rate pitcher Curt Schilling was. He was so direct in saying that he looked forwrd to being a part of a team that would beat the Yankees and bring a world championship to Red Sox Nation. I"m usually a sceptic when it comes to most athletes, but his words gave me complete confidence in the new player leadership for the Red Sox.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all those on the front lines of the fight for liberty over tyranny.

[/QUOTE]

Agree completely I will always repect Chrt Schilling, loved his competitive spirit and athleticism and will never forget what he did for the Red Sox. I have been critical of the Red Sox Management because I thought if they had picked up a good player here and there at the trade deadlines they might have won another World Series Championship, but we did win two. In 2007 I saw them win the championship from a hospital bed. Since coming home from Iraq and being wounded there I have endured 8 surgeries, 6 major ones and I am blessed compared to what other veterans from this last war and other wars are going through. But thank you.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

[QUOTE]

All thanks to you and your brothers. That you and your courageous brothres bear all the scars of defending liberty is a debt that the people of this Nation can't repay. What we can do is use our voices and time and money to loudly proclaim that our public policy priorities are wrong and that our veterans and their families receivie the best financial and medical support and attention and be the #1 priority of federal and state public policy.  This Nation has too many frivolous entitlement burdens that should be shifted towards a massive increase in the budget for our veterans and their families, who are the thesis of sacrifice and virtue and the antithesis of entitlement. What we can do is give back to our veterans and their families by contributing as much of our individual time and money as possible towards the issues identified by our veterans and their families.  

My father is a WWII combat veteran, my borther-in-law a Vietnam combat veteran, both having the good fortune of being spared the physical scars of the defense of liberty. I live in the Fort Bragg area and do pro bono veterans disability claims and estate planning and family law for members of the miliatry community. It is truly humbling to see how fortunate I am. How spoiled I am. Our veterans are the most insping role models that I know. When I complain about the most trivial pains and small problems with life and aging, I have to remind myself that I have so much more good fortune than I deserve. Yet those who truly deserve nothing but good fortune are given intense and unimaginable hardship.   

This Thanksgiving is a time for me to remind myself to reoder my priorities and remember the debt I owe to veterans and their famlies who have not been as fortunate. My prayer is for peace and more money being contributed towards medical research and state of the art medical breakthroughs that heal our veterans.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you. My Dad is a World War 2 Veteran who was at the Battle of the Bulge. Thank you for what you do with helping the Veterans.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Happy Thanksgiving all posters. I served a 13 month tour of duty with the Military Police in Iraq from 2003 to 2004. In particular after several missions when we lost 4 MP personnel Killed In Action, Thanksgiving in Baghdad was not looking as one of my favorite places to be for the Holidays. It was the letters from home and people I never knew that poured in to us and kept us going through those tough times. I always looked forward to hearing about my beloved Red Sox. I remember one of the guys from Worcester, Mass running up to me and telling me, Sir "The Red Sox are close to getting Curt Schilling".  After watching them lose Game 7 to the Yankees with the home run from Aaron Boone, I was so upset I kicked two sandbags into the Tigris River. I guess it was a culmination of the soldiers we lost and the Sox losing to the Yankees. But anyway the Curt Schilling news picked me up as well as the letters from home. It was also great getting out ofbtheir and being home to watch the Red Sox win the World Series in 2004. My wife said the red Sox waited till you were home so you could see them win it for the first time.

Anyway its good to be home and with my familiy, and I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

[/QUOTE]

Hello AL34    :)

Thank you for serving and protecting democracy and peace throughout the world. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hello AL34    :)

Thank you for serving and protecting democracy and peace throughout the world. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. 

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Nice story AL...Thanks for sharing...Thank You for your service and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's a cool story.  Why do you make it sound like you were a contractor "with the Military Police" rather than a part of the military?  Not that I care either way, it just reads oddly.  Or do I just not get it?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

You just don't get it.

[/QUOTE]

Then explain it to me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's a cool story.  Why do you make it sound like you were a contractor "with the Military Police" rather than a part of the military?  Not that I care either way, it just reads oddly.  Or do I just not get it?

[/QUOTE]

No I was a Major with the Military Police not a contractor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cool.  Again, I wasn't being rude, just curious. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

AL34, thank you for your service, sacrifice and the great job you and your borthers have given for the cuase of liberty! Those were great Red Sox memories! I remember how confident and articulate recent world series champion 1st rate pitcher Curt Schilling was. He was so direct in saying that he looked forwrd to being a part of a team that would beat the Yankees and bring a world championship to Red Sox Nation. I"m usually a sceptic when it comes to most athletes, but his words gave me complete confidence in the new player leadership for the Red Sox.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all those on the front lines of the fight for liberty over tyranny.

[/QUOTE]

Agree completely I will always repect Chrt Schilling, loved his competitive spirit and athleticism and will never forget what he did for the Red Sox. I have been critical of the Red Sox Management because I thought if they had picked up a good player here and there at the trade deadlines they might have won another World Series Championship, but we did win two. In 2007 I saw them win the championship from a hospital bed. Since coming home from Iraq and being wounded there I have endured 8 surgeries, 6 major ones and I am blessed compared to what other veterans from this last war and other wars are going through. But thank you.

[/QUOTE]

AL, thank you for your meritorious service, time, and the price your body paid. I know that rings hollow given the sacrifice involved.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This Thanksgiving is a time for me to remind myself to reoder my priorities ...

How about just putting honesty and humility on your priority list?

Even if the are near the bottom of your list, at least having them on your list might be refreshing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cool.  Again, I wasn't being rude, just curious. 

[/QUOTE]

No offense taken.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Glad you made it home safely and are back with your family.  Those who served have been through things the every day person can only imagine until hearing the stories from their own family members, or living through it. 

I can also relate on the Boone and Schilling statements.  I think what has bothered me most is the lack of good judgement from the FO since 07 and whether they really have what it takes to build another 04 and 07 type team.   Our 03 team was already knocking on the door with Grady little and the work of other previous management.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Thank you. I agree completely had the FO made some better decisions between 2008 to now I think they could have knocked on the door of another World Championship.

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Glad you made it home safely and are back with your family.  Those who served have been through things the every day person can only imagine until hearing the stories from their own family members, or living through it. 

I can also relate on the Boone and Schilling statements.  I think what has bothered me most is the lack of good judgement from the FO since 07 and whether they really have what it takes to build another 04 and 07 type team.   Our 03 team was already knocking on the door with Grady little and the work of other previous management.

[/QUOTE]

21. This post has been removed.