80-year old Jack McKeon named Florida Marlins' interim manager-your thoughts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

80-year old Jack McKeon named Florida Marlins' interim manager-your thoughts?

Sporting News:

The Marlins' decision to name 80-year-old Jack McKeon interim manager is a done deal and will be officially announced Monday afternoon, SI.com's Jon Heyman tweets.

McKeon will take the reins from Edwin Rodriguez, who resigned Sunday after leading the team to nine straight losses.

Jack McKeon will be the Marlins' interim manager. (AP Photo)

McKeon began his managerial career with the Kansas City Royals in 1973. He held that job until 1975 and later managed the Oakland Athletics (1977-1978), the San Diego Padres (1988-1990) and the Cincinnati Reds (1997-2000). He also served as general manager of the Padres from 1981 to 1990.

He took over as Marlins manager during the 2003 season and led the team to its second World Series championship. At 72, he became the oldest manager ever to lead a team to victory in the Fall Classic.

McKeon stepped down after the 2005 season.

He was named NL Manager of the Year in 1999 and 2003.

Heyman reported that the Marlins are expected to resume their pursuit of Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and ESPN analyst Bobby Valentine after the season. The Marlins reportedly were close to hiring Valentine last year after the club fired Gonzalez, but talks fell through. It was the second time in less than a year that the Marlins tried to replace Gonzalez with Valentine. Rodriguez was later named as interim manager, and he eventually earned another year in charge.

Valentine said during Sunday's broadcast that McKeon might be the right manager for the Marlins at this time.

Last summer, Florida received permission from the White Sox to talk to Guillen, who was McKeon's third-base coach on the '03 Marlins squad. Guillen and Sox general manager Ken Williams were embroiled in front-office conflict. Guillen, though, said he never spoke with Florida and the White Sox subsequently exercised their 2012 option on him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: 80-year old Jack McKeon named Florida Marlins' interim manager-your thoughts?

WHAT A JOKE !!!   WHAT ARE THEY THINKING ??  WHAT IS HE THINKING ???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: 80-year old Jack McKeon named Florida Marlins' interim manager-your thoughts?

Hey, if he can hack it physically, why not?  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

While I doubt that it will work out as well this time, McKeon's being named as interim manager back in 2003 was met with almost the same amount of raised eyebrows as this time.

It is funny that all this happened with hours of a poster claiming that Marlins and not the Rays were the model small market franchise. The Marlins are a mess right now. And with a move to the new park pending the ownership group ccan't be happy with how their fortunes have played out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

Miami a.k.a. God's Waiting Room

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'd rather hire an older pro than a young fool.

I hope to still be around kicking and dancing and raising hell at 80 years old, myself.

Of course I don't dance and raise hell now, but I still pack a pretty mean kick and I 'll bet I can out run Ortiz and Gonzalez in the 100 meters....well, 100 inches anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

hey zilla, i believe you still pack a mean kick, but what i'd like to know is can you still exhale fire out of your mouth? that would scare me more than a mean kick.
    i remember in your youth you used to blow smoke rings.
    as for A-GON. i believe CHESTER GOODE could have out ran him to 1st.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and softy said the Marlins were the "model for small market teams".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

only for day games it is reported, the marlins must be trying to attract the local fans with this hire, the retirees, smart move

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

If he can stay awake on the west coast trips, why not?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

sometimes a team's better off when the manager is asleep.

Sections
Shortcuts