9-Game Win Streak Takes Back Seat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

9-Game Win Streak Takes Back Seat

Let me give you a perspective of why Boston Sports is different from other cities:
    1. The Sox were 2-10, now have best AL record, could win 100 games, and have gone from a laughing stock by critics to what they figured they would actually be--a powerhouse in 2011.
    2. The Sox are on a 9-game win streak in which they are now just annihilating teams.
    3. They were the fourth story on Sunday's ComCast Sports Report
    .....The B's have taken over the town again!!!! I love it!!!!!
    Only in Boston does the Nation take a backseat to its real sport--Hockey.
    Ah, now this is fun...Belichick in the stands, Big Papi giving out B's hats in support of Thornton who wore a Sox hat and was banned from doing it again in NHL press conferences. Good to be a Boston fan right now...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

Re: 9-Game Win Streak Takes Back Seat

In Response to 9-Game Win Streak Takes Back Seat:
    Let me give you a perspective of why Boston Sports is different from other cities: 1. The Sox were 2-10, now have best AL record, could win 100 games, and have gone from a laughing stock by critics to what they figured they would actually be--a powerhouse in 2011. 2. The Sox are on a 9-game win streak in which they are now just annihilating teams. 3. They were the fourth story on Sunday's ComCast Sports Report .....The B's have taken over the town again!!!! I love it!!!!! Only in Boston does the Nation take a backseat to its real sport--Hockey. Ah, now this is fun...Belichick in the stands, Big Papi giving out B's hats in support of Thornton who wore a Sox hat and was banned from doing it again in NHL press conferences. Good to be a Boston fan right now...

Posted by dannycater

No, it shows what a town of pink hatters beantowne is. Didn't hear any beaneaters talking about the bruins a few years back, now they are the top story. Typical boston fans.

"B" is for bandwagon!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: 9-Game Win Streak Takes Back Seat:
    In Response to 9-Game Win Streak Takes Back Seat : No, it shows what a town of pink hatters beantowne is. Didn't hear any beaneaters talking about the bruins a few years back, now they are the top story. Typical boston fans. "B" is for bandwagon!!
    Posted by --The--Babe---

Not me.  I can't do hockey, championship home team or not.  Puck too small.  Too many white people.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

aw babe, I feel your pain. with all the owies happening to your boys, word has it that joe is thinking of going the player/manager route. seems that leg muscle injuries are happening left and right for your team. bartolo with a hammy, now jeter with a calf muscle. I guess I really don't blame you for your frustrations right now.

but comeon babe! punch a boston fan in the face?????

in other words...........(damn it I need a hug) Wink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The Babe jumped onto the wrong thread with the wrong comment. 

NYC is the mecca of sports frustration.  I rooted like heck for the Red Holzman Knicks when they won their two NBA titles, largely because I was teaching just north of NYC and because Bradley and I went to the same school.  That was 40 years ago, and nothing since.  The Giants still win a Super Bowl now and then, but not very often.  I don't know when the Rangers have won the Stanley Cup--and don't care.  The Mets are awful despite big salaries. 

If they Yankees fade, it's over. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to 9-Game Win Streak Takes Back Seat : No, it shows what a town of pink hatters beantowne is. Didn't hear any beaneaters talking about the bruins a few years back, now they are the top story. Typical boston fans. "B" is for bandwagon!!
    Posted by --The--Babe---

When the Yankees are losing, your stands clear out!  THAT does NOT happen in Boston!  Yanks down by several runs in the late innings?  "fans" head for the door to beat traffic:)

Of course Boston fans are going to cheer louder when OUR BOYS are actually in it!  Get a life!

Look!  It's clear you're going through a tough time right now......  Cheer up!  The Yanks will be there in October....  Then you can jump back on their bandwagon! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

BABE you need to lay off your overuse of the word "bandwagon"

Last time I checked the "bandwagon" effect is everywhere.  You will find it for any team or any season, when they start winning people flock to them.  So yes the Sox do have Bandwagon fans.....but you know what Babe, the Yankees have bandwagon fans as well.  

If you remember the 80's to mid 90's the Yankees weren't all that great and going to a game was like watching a game in Tampa Bay.  How many Bandwagoners do you think flocked to New York in the later half of the 90's???  Remember all the women who were (still are) obsessed with (oh my god) Derek Jeter and would go to the NY with their little pink shirts on and their little pink hats on.  

Calling Red Sox nation a bunch of "bandwagoners" is like the prom queen throwing a hissy fit because all of a sudden people are hanging out with the new girl.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Posted by --The--Babe---

Hilarious!!  New Yorkers go back to Knicks games for the first time in 10 years (only to watch them get mauled by the C's)  but Boston is bandwagon?  How was old Yankee stadium looking there in the late 80's and early 90's, lot of empty seats I recall.  All the "die-hards" just happened to start coming back with the W's?

Every town is going to get behind a team more when they are making a championship run, or in the Knicks case bordering on relevancy for the first time in a decade.  It doesn't make them bandwagon fans. The Jets? The team is gone for 30 years and w/out even a Super Bowl appearance their fan base has tripled. 

I don't obsess over the Bruins like I do the Sox in the regular season, but I know where they are in the standings, I see them when they visit my town and I certainly don't miss play-off games.   I watched TT for 4 years in Burlington and have really enjoyed seeing him do what he has done in these play-offs. 

If the Bruins can score the first goal tomorrow the Cup is coming back to Boston.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

in the case of BABE, B stands for BANNED (often.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

in the case of BABE, B stands for BANNED (often.)
    Posted by --the--yazzer

Perhaps she had "bannedwagon" on her mind.  Fact is, championships or not, seems across the board, Boston teams collectively seem to have a high rate of success in elongating the season for their fans.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to 9-Game Win Streak Takes Back Seat:
    Let me give you a perspective of why Boston Sports is different from other cities: 1. The Sox were 2-10, now have best AL record, could win 100 games, and have gone from a laughing stock by critics to what they figured they would actually be--a powerhouse in 2011. 2. The Sox are on a 9-game win streak in which they are now just annihilating teams. 3. They were the fourth story on Sunday's ComCast Sports Report .....The B's have taken over the town again!!!! I love it!!!!! Only in Boston does the Nation take a backseat to its real sport--Hockey. Ah, now this is fun...Belichick in the stands, Big Papi giving out B's hats in support of Thornton who wore a Sox hat and was banned from doing it again in NHL press conferences. Good to be a Boston fan right now...
    Posted by dannycater

Hockey? A real Sport? Please! The only sport where assault with a deadly weapon give you 2 minutes of time-out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

The Babe jumped onto the wrong thread with the wrong comment.  NYC is the mecca of sports frustration.  I rooted like heck for the Red Holzman Knicks when they won their two NBA titles, largely because I was teaching just north of NYC and because Bradley and I went to the same school.  That was 40 years ago, and nothing since.  The Giants still win a Super Bowl now and then, but not very often.  I don't know when the Rangers have won the Stanley Cup--and don't care.  The Mets are awful despite big salaries.  If they Yankees fade, it's over. 

Posted by maxbialystock

NYC is the mecca of sports frustration

LOL...yeah, frustrated at having more championships than anyone else.

The Giants still win a Super Bowl now and then, but not very often.

LOL...not very often? Last I checked they have won the same amount as the cheatriots, with their most recent being the big win over the cheatriots. And they have lost less SB's than the belicheats.

Nice try though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

All the pressure is off the Sox, focused on BIG BAD BRIUNS...not like the Boston Sports Media is difficult at times...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

BABE you need to lay off your overuse of the word "bandwagon" Last time I checked the "bandwagon" effect is everywhere.  You will find it for any team or any season, when they start winning people flock to them.  So yes the Sox do have Bandwagon fans.....but you know what Babe, the Yankees have bandwagon fans as well.   If you remember the 80's to mid 90's the Yankees weren't all that great and going to a game was like watching a game in Tampa Bay.  How many Bandwagoners do you think flocked to New York in the later half of the 90's???  Remember all the women who were (still are) obsessed with (oh my god) Derek Jeter and would go to the NY with their little pink shirts on and their little pink hats on.   Calling Red Sox nation a bunch of "bandwagoners" is like the prom queen throwing a hissy fit because all of a sudden people are hanging out with the new girl.  

Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

Google "pink hat" and you tell me what's the first link?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

"And they have lost less SB's than the belicheats."

More wisdom.  Given that the Pats have played in three times as many SBs as the NFGs, highly likely to say the least.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The Babe jumped onto the wrong thread with the wrong comment.  NYC is the mecca of sports frustration.  I rooted like heck for the Red Holzman Knicks when they won their two NBA titles, largely because I was teaching just north of NYC and because Bradley and I went to the same school.  That was 40 years ago, and nothing since.  The Giants still win a Super Bowl now and then, but not very often.  I don't know when the Rangers have won the Stanley Cup--and don't care.  The Mets are awful despite big salaries.  If they Yankees fade, it's over. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

The Rangers won in 1994, and I rooted for them. I liked a lot of their players like Messier.

As for Babe and his bandwagon label, he just shows he doesn't understand fans.

Yes in some cases, when a team that never had a lot of support starts winning and fans come out of the woodwork then disappear when the team starts losing again -- that's bandwagon.

That's not the case with the Bruins. The Bruins were always big in Boston. In the early 1960s (pre-Bobby Orr) when the Bruins were in last place, they still outdrew the Celtics. Maybe some of it had to do with race, but more had to do with the fact that the Celtics were less than 20 years old while the Bruins (like the Sox) went back to the early part of the century.

So Boston was always as much a hockey town as a baseball town.

It takes a generation of fans to grow up with a team for the team to have that core that will stick with it through anything. 

That Bruins interest might have dropped off a bit earlier this decade had more to do with frustration than anything else. THat's why it came back quickly in recent years.

I don't care what team it is. It's only natural for interest in a team to go down when a team is losing. Look at how the Yankees attendance dropped after the 1988 season going down in '89, '90, '91 and '92 when the team had losing records before rebounding when the team started winning. The team drew about 1.7 million fans in 1992. Since 2002, they've drawn 3.4 million fans or more better. 

So if we listen to Babe, that means half the Yankees fans (or more) are bandwagon jumpers.

I won't say that because I understand the fan base of the Yankees. It might go down because of frustration if the team struggles, but the latent interest is always there and it takes only the slightest spark for it to come roaring back.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

"And they have lost less SB's than the belicheats." More wisdom.  Given that the Pats have played in three times as many SBs as the NFGs, highly likely to say the least.

Posted by piersall

Again you show that math is not your strong suit (not sure you actually have one). The cheatriots played in six, losing three. The Giants played in 4, winning three.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: 9-Game Win Streak Takes Back Seat : How long did it take for the Giants to even get to the super bowl?  oh yeah.. they didn't get a win until after New England's first SB, even though it was a forgettable Pats loss.  When was the last time any other NY teams won it all?  Jets?  Knicks?  Nets?  Rangers?   With a Bruins win in game 7, that would give a banner to all 4 major sports Boston teams in the past decade.  I think even the NE Revolution got a championship in there too so that's 5.

Posted by JonLestersRightHand

Ummm...it took the Giants exactly one year longer than the cheatriots to get to the Super Bowl, but at least they won!

And are you the hand lester dates when he's tired of his left?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

hey babe,

quick question. were you ever a constant caller on a national radio sports show who referred to himself as the BOSTON hater?
    i think his real 1st name was george, but i'm not sure.

anyways, just curious.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

hey babe, quick question. were you ever a constant caller on a national radio sports show who referred to himself as the BOSTON hater? i think his real 1st name was george, but i'm not sure. anyways, just curious.

Posted by --the--yazzer

Nope, not me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In Response to Re: 9-Game Win Streak Takes Back Seat : Again you show that math is not your strong suit (not sure you actually have one). The cheatriots played in six, losing three. The Giants played in 4, winning three.
    Posted by --The--Babe---

Actually I'm not bad at math, with an Elect. Eng. Degree, but real sloppy at scanning lists that mean not alot to me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: 9-Game Win Streak Takes Back Seat : Actually I'm not bad at math, with an Elect. Eng. Degree, but real sloppy at scanning lists that mean not alot to me.

Posted by piersall

Well, true fans don't need to scan lists. And it doesn't seem that sentence structure is your forte either.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: 9-Game Win Streak Takes Back Seat : Google "pink hat" and you tell me what's the first link?
    Posted by --The--Babe---

wow...so URBAN DICTIONARY is the winner of them all eh? problem is that is written by people like YOU.  and it's the word "pink hat" which has been associated more so with Sox bandwagon fans...but the point (which you obviously missed) was on the subject of Bandwagon fans.  I only used the pink hat association because of the mere fact that Yankee Bandwagon fans who are obviously female go out and buy Yankee pink hats as well.  But the subject of what color the hat is that a bandwagon fan buys is competetly Irelevant to my point. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Babe.....I'm not saying this as a Boston fan, but a human being. After what happend to the Dodger fan, who still lays in critical condition with brain damage in the intensive care unit, your tag line isn't even remotely funny. i would ask you please change it, out of respect.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

Babe.....I'm not saying this as a Boston fan, but a human being. After what happend to the Dodger fan, who still lays in critical condition with brain damage in the intensive care unit, your tag line isn't even remotely funny. i would ask you please change it, out of respect.

Posted by J-BAY

Point taken, jbay. That hadn't crossed my mind.

Sections
Shortcuts