92 degrees in Ft Myers, and a hard single off the SS glove for a base hit.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

92 degrees in Ft Myers, and a hard single off the SS glove for a base hit.

Rusney Castillo has his first AB and first hit in US organized professional baseball. He then attempted a steal of second, but the pitch was fouled off. He had it stolen by 3 feet; he treid again a few pitches later and was nailed on a perfect throw. At which point, I said godd-bye to the guy I was watching with (guy named Miller covering the event for ESPN. boston. Another inning and I would have been scorched.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: 92 degrees in Ft Myers, and a hard single off the SS glove for a base hit.

Follow

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    Sign of the times for #RedSox: only 3 Boston reporters at game. Everybody else went to see Castillo in the Fort.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

‏@PeteAbe
    MT @nickcafardo: Rusney Castillo took 2 pitches before his single just out of the diving grasp SS. Good jump on SB attempt but thrown out

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

Nick Cafardo
    ‏@nickcafardo
    Rusney Castillo took a called 3rd K on three pitches in 2nd AB stranding runners at 1st and 2nd. Swung and missed on a high FB before K

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Rusney Castillo gets first game action for Red Sox’ minor-league team

By Nick Cafardo/Boston Globe

After only playing DH on Sunday, Rusney Castillo will play center field in a game on Monday.
    STEVE NESIUS/ASSOCIATED PRESS FOR THE BOSTON GLOBE

After only playing DH on Sunday, Rusney Castillo will play center field in a game on Monday.

FORT MYERS, Fla. – It was only two at-bats as a designated hitter, but the big thing for Red Sox outfielder Rusney Castillo is he got playing time in a real game against live pitching in a Gulf Coast League playoff game Sunday on Field 1 of the Jet Blue complex.

Castillo, the Cuban free agent signed by the Red Sox Aug. 23 who said he hadn’t played in an organized game since July, 2013, went 1-for-2. He hit a single through the third-base hole past diving GCL Yankees shortstop Jorge Mateo off Yankees starter Luis Cedeno in near 100-degree conditions in a game that began at high noon.

Castillo struck out on a called third strike in his second at-bat, ending his day.

Castillo is expected to play center field on Monday in Tampa following the GCL Yankees’ 6-5 victory on Sunday to force a deciding game in the playoff series.

Castillo showed his ability on the basepaths. After his first inning leadoff single, he looked like a savvy baserunner, sizing up the pitcher, taking a big lead, and also having to dive back on a pickoff throw.

He took off on a hit and run, but the ball was fouled off, and then attempted his first stolen base. He was gunned down on a nice throw by catcher Alvaro Noriega.

In his second at-bat, he missed a high fastball, popped up another fastball, and then took the called third strike on a pitch that looked a bit outside.

Wearing No. 38, Castillo seemed to get into the excitement of the game with his temporary teammates who were vying for a GCL title.

“Feels great, a good day,” said Castillo through Sox player development coordinator Laz Gutierrez.

“He’s wanted this day to come for a long time. He feels good physically and mentally,” Gutierrez said.

Castillo said he didn’t feel out of place at all as the leadoff hitter in the Red Sox lineup.

“Done this for a long time. Like riding a bike. Felt good and happy to be out there today.” he said.

Castillo said he’s a player who likes to use his legs as a big part of his game.

The muscular Castillo looked to be in great shape. He has a very simple stance without many moving parts. His swing is short and compact. There’s no question he was knocking off some rust and getting used to mid-90s type fastball and offspeed sliders.

He said, via Gutierrez that he didn’t have a number in mind when asked about how many at-bats he would need to get himself ready for the major leagues, which he expects to reach sometime in September. He said his goal was to play for Boston before the end of the season given that he does have a major league contract worth $72.5 million. He received a $5.4 million signing bonus and a $100,000 salary for the remainder of the season.

He said he was looking forward to playing center field. Sunday’s game was on Field 1, which is a skeleton version of Fenway with a high fenced wall and similar dimensions, which made it surprising that he didn’t play in the field.

Castilo was asked which areas he can improve.

“He loves to hit, but like any hitter he thinks all aspects he wants to improve on over time. Getting on base and getting to use his legs is a big part of his game,” said Gutierrez.

Castillo said he is motivated by the success of fellow Cubans Yusiel Puig, Yoenis Cespedes, and Jose Abreu.

“It’s definitely added a lot of confidence and motivated him,” Gutierrez said. “He wants his countrymen to do well and it’s definitely a motivating factor that’s helped him in his game.”

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Farrell announced RusneyCastillo will be brought up 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

Anyone know how many times he adjusted his junk before the second AB?  This is almost as bad as the jeter BS.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anyone know how many times he adjusted his junk before the second AB?  This is almost as bad as the jeter BS.

[/QUOTE]

I talked awhile with the ESPN guy (Miller) after Castillo's first AB, then headed for the parking lot. The guy handing out the line up and stat sheets, said it was 100 on the field. I got my picture of the first pitch, first AB, first US organized baseball game. Half the players on the field were 20 years old or less. What he was going to do, or not do, was really irrelevant as far as I could see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

What I take from this mostly is... I'm glad I'm not back in Ft. Myers right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Follow

‏@PeteAbe
    Sign of the times for #RedSox: only 3 Boston reporters at game. Everybody else went to see Castillo in the Fort.

[/QUOTE]

Even WALLY.

Sections
Shortcuts