95 Wins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

95 Wins

On a prediction post a week or so ago many on the board including me believed the Sox would win 95 games and with 27 games to go that number looks even more realistic.

With 5 more home series(3 games each) and 12 road games...the Sox need to do what baseball wisdom and their history this season shows they can....Win their home series(2 of 3) and play .500 ball on the road. That gives you 10 more home wins and 6 road wins for Ta Da......95 wins.

With 95 wins......to tie..

The Rays would need to go 20-10

The Orioles would need to go 24-6( and 21-3 against others besides us, if we win 2 of 3 a home and lose 2 of 3 in Balt)

The Yankees would need to go 25-4 (and 21-2 against others besides us, if we in 2 of 3 at home and split the 4 games in the Bronx)

I could see a hot Rays team with healthy pitching possibly going 20-10 or better but could not see flawed Yankee and O's teams pullingoff stretches like that.

The Sox have put themselves in a very comfortable drivers seat......watch the sharp turns...avoid the walls.....keep and eye on the Gas tank...and the finish line is right there to take.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: 95 Wins

In response to tomnev's comment:

On a prediction post a week or so ago many on the board including me believed the Sox would win 95 games and with 27 games to go that number looks even more realistic.

With 5 more home series(3 games each) and 12 road games...the Sox need to do what baseball wisdom and their history this season shows they can....Win their home series(2 of 3) and play .500 ball on the road. That gives you 10 more home wins and 6 road wins for Ta Da......95 wins.

The Orioles would need to go 24-6( and 21-3 against others besides us, if we win 2 of 3 a home and lose 2 of 3 in Balt)

The Yankees would need to go 25-4 (and 21-2 against others besides us, if we in 2 of 3 at home and split the 4 games in the Bronx)

I could see a hot Rays team with healthy pitching possibly going 20-10 or better but could not see flawed Yankee and O's teams pullingoff stretches like that.

The Sox have put themselves in a very comfortable drivers seat......watch the sharp turns...avoid the walls.....keep and eye on the Gas tank...and the finish line is right there to take.

I was on that thread and agreed with the 95 number, not because I know anything, but because at the time it made sense even though I figured the Sox to do no better than 3-3 on the trip to the west coast. 

Your numbers on what the other would have to do to tie the Sox (if they win 95) are impressive. Thanks. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

5 very tough series in a row after White Sox. (which is no gimme).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Very tough task but very doable.  GO SOX!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

And I predicted 70 wins this year. Embarassed

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

And I predicted 70 wins this year. Embarassed

I did not predict, but 70 would have been my number.  Some years it's great to be wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

In September all four teams play one another enough that on a weekly basis it comes down to how each fares against one another...if the Rays dominate all of their remaining games within the division to include sweeping the Sox in Tampa...we could find ourselves looking up at them in less than a week. Conversely if the Sox win just one game in Tampa the Rays can only pick up one in the standings. The Tampa series could well prove to be the axis on which the division crown rest. 

The Yankees and Orioles still have a shot at the wildcard And both can also play the role of spoiler With games remaining against both us and the Rays. While the Blue Jays are officially in the role of spoiler And will come to the park with a bad intent.

The time is now for the Sox to make hay...sweeping the White Sox would certainly help give them some cushion...The Rays are in a dog fight in Oakland a team that is also in the hunt for both the west and the wildcard. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The Rays are the only other real threat to win the division.

Baltimore needed better than 1 out 3 in the last series to keep hope alive....for 1st place.

While it is recommended that you stay out of the one game Wild Card playoff, I would fear a Baltimore or Yankees team that triumphs in such a game.

Once you get to the ALDS and ALCS, you more or less lean on your top 3 starters and your better relievers. This is where playoff baseball differs from regular season. It is no longer about depth, it is about quality at the top of the rotation, and in the starting lineup....and this is cause for concern. When I look at Baltimore , I see a team with weaker pitching, but a lineup with #2, #3 , #4 , #5 batters than can do serious damage. Also, they have the most experiemced manager of the lot.

Baltimore may have no chance at 95 wins, but I would not bet against them in postseason. Maybe I'm wrong, but they ar only one or two good starting pitchers away from being a powerhouse.

"Advertising is legalized lying."- H.G.Wells

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

At the beginning of the season, my chiropractor and I give our predictions, and he writes them down on my chart.  I gave the Red Sox around 81 to 85 wins this season, while waiting for the bridge year to kick in and look forward to 2014.

Once April ended and the Red Sox had 20 wins in the month, I was all in, and just loved the make up of the team.  As my chiropractor mentioned...they just need to win 2 out of 3 or 3 out 4 in every series, and be in control of our own destiny. 

As for getting to the 95 wins mark, I think with 26 games left, they have a very good chance with that. Just win each series, and let the other teams beat each other up. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

As far back as April, I had predicted 91 - 71.  It is more likely that we will now be closer to 95.  I'm not quite sure I'm ready to change that prediction?

I love the prospect of being on the low side of this early prediction, as 98% of Sox fans were predicting closer to 82 wins.  I've gone from being on the high side, & finding my prediction may have been too conservative.  WOW!

I really hope my early prediction turns out to be dead wrong!  It's still tough to get my head around the real possibility of hitting that very attainable 95+ games in the win column.

GO SOX!  What a year!!!!

p.s.   It's been so much fun watching the pendulum fans go back and forth from......  "Our pitching suck.....   Our pitching is very good......  Our pitching sucks & we don't have a chance down the stretch.......  Wow!  Is our pitching good or what?  :)  LOVE IT!