950 KJR reporting Red Sox and Mariners agree to overall parameters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Re: 950 KJR reporting Red Sox and Mariners agree to overall parameters

How about you guys talk baseball and drop the insults.   Who ever you are who made the disabilities reference, you really scraped the bottom.  Not cool.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

why trade Reddick?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: 950 KJR reporting Red Sox and Mariners agree to overall parameters:
    How about you guys talk baseball and drop the insults.   Who ever you are who made the disabilities reference, you really scraped the bottom.  Not cool.
    Posted by soxmeister

I'll drink to that.  There are some posters here who stalk other posters with the sole intent of sniping at them, and frankly it's getting old for those of us who want this to be a baseball forum.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Hey Steve,interesting trade proposal.Here's the scouting reports for Dubront and Alex Wilson and links for further information from Soxprospects.com:
    http://soxprospects.com/players/doubront-felix.htm

Scouting Report:  Doubront utilizes a 91-94 mph fastball, a very good 79-81 mph changeup with screwball action, and an impressive-but-inconsistent mid-70s curveball. Flawless and fluid downward pitching motion with excellent control. Deceptive 3/4 delivery, hitters don't pick up the ball until late, causing his fastball to look a little faster. Used to struggle against left-handed batters, but seemed to fix this issue in 2009. He has a reserved and modest demeanor, but is aggressive and poised on the mound.  Sometimes has the tendency to leave the ball up in the zone too much, giving up too many home runs. Athletic and agile in the field.  Doubront struggled in 2007 due to numerous injuries, including recovery from a hernia operation.

http://soxprospects.com/players/wilson-alex.htm
     Alex Wilson:
    Scouting Report: Throws from high 3/4 arm slot. Clean mechanics, but his delivery is somewhat arduous. Fastball sits 92-93 mph and tops out at 94-95 mph. Can sit in the mid-90s in short bursts out of the bullpen. 4-seam fastball is on the straight side and hittable when elevated. Working on his 90-92 MPH 2-seam fastball that shows improved run on right-handed batters. Also utilizes an 81-84 mph slider with tight rotation and depth that misses a lot of bats. He uses his slider as his out pitch later in the count but could improve on throwing his slider for strikes and featuring earlier in counts. Inconsistent with snap at times, but has plus potential in the future. Also throws a below-average 85-86 mph changeup, that lacks enough separation from his fastball. Shows a curveball on occasion, which sits around 76-77 mph, but doesn't use it other than as a look pitch. Overall, Wilson has very good control and command, but will need to keep his fastball down in the zone consistently. Can be home run prone. Most likely best suited as a reliever at the major league level. Late inning potential with further polishing of arsenal. Missed the 2008 college season due to Tommy John Surgery.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

CALM DOWN PLEASE !!!!  THEO & BILL-806  ARE NOT LOOKING TO MOVE REDDICK AT ALL..... BUT, IT WILL BE AN INTERESTING NEXT 3 DAYS !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to 950 KJR reporting Red Sox and Mariners agree to overall parameters:
    Hi, Seattle fan here. I'd like some of your thoughts on the prospects who might be coming to the Mariners for Bedard. The local sports radio host says the Red Sox and Mariners have been talking for "several hours" about a trade that would send Erik Bedard + Aaron Laffey to Boston for Josh Reddick + Felix Doubront + Alex Wilson. The deal is contingent on 1. Bedard proving he's healthy on Friday, and 2. the Red Sox swinging a deal for a right-fielder to replace Reddick. According to one source, the Red Sox want a chance to talk to Bedard about an incentive-laden team option for 2012, as a condition precedent to making this deal. The same source said the Sox are optimistic about landing an outfield bat. Carlos Quentin and Hunter Pence were mentioned. No word on who the Sox would give up for one of those guys. This is a Seattle show and the focus was more on the Mariners. I'd appreciate any insight you guys might have on Doubront + Wilson, in particular. I see Reddick has been torrid. Thanks.
    Posted by SteveMariner

All reports I have read this morning suggest Houstons asking price is too high for Pence and not even the Phillies won't even offer up Dominic Brown for Hunter.  This story makes little sence because Houston would probably want a ML ready OF to replace Pence and that should be Reddick in my opinion. 

This leaves Qeuntin, if the Sox were able to get both Quentin and Bedard it sounds like a good deal depending on who we give up to the WS.  Quentin is a 275 hitter against LH pitching and around 260 against RH's so it may still keep Kalish in the picture if he doesn't get traded.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

If the chances are low that Buch is coming back, then they have to get a good starter.  Assuming they get that far, if the sox face the phillies in the WS, the first 2 games are a toss up.  Assume they split the first 2 games and come back to Boston in a series tied 1-1 (or down 0-2). 

Do you really want to see Lakey/Miller/Wake on the mound to start the game?

1-1 or 0-2 in the WS, I would prefer to see Bedard on the mound and JD Drew in RF than Lackey on the mound with Reddick in RF.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I like the bedard trade.  Getting him may allow a fringe starter ot two to go towards quentin.  I like the idea of quentin over pence myself.  this trio fills all of our holes except SS, getting starter, LH relief, and RF.  Reddick would hurt, but not by getting quentin to fill the hole.  Reddick is not a star in the making in my eyes.  He is just in a hot streak.  He is and will always be a replacement level player.  Trade high on him.  laffey is only 26 as well...so he is more than a throw in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

IMHO, I dont give Reddick for Beddard..No way.I think Reddick is a 280+ hitter with 25HR potential with solid D and a good arm..He has made the adjustments at all levels and now hes done the same at the MLB level with better pitch recognition and patience at the plate..Hes also killing LHP...Also I wouldnt include middlebrooks in any deal that soeant have the name King Felix in it...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Considering the Sox are shorthanded in the OF with only one guy consistent there the entire season-Ellsbury-I think the Sox understand they can't trade Reddick even if they planned on it. Not unless they are getting a powerhitting RF walking through the door when Reddick is dealt. No way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Huh? Are the Mariners sending King Felix for that package?
    If they pay all that for a blah starter, why not go after Pence instead?
    If they make that deal, it makes no sense.
    Reddick is easily replaced, and is slowing way down, not getting the ball out of the infield in three games this week. His BA with RISP is .250.
    Dubront and Wilson have greater value, and need to be packaged in a better deal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I don't over react to the immediate impact of making a hole in RF because we are talking about what could be the #8 hitter in your line-up.

But just the same to rent Eric Bedard who has been so often injured you can't even be secure that he'd last the last 1/3 of the season.

I just don't think you can trade Reddick knowing the RS farm system, pending FA after the season and payroll budget on that rental. He may well not be a superstar, in fact I would say he isn't his current stat line. But if he is a .250/.320/.480 guy (which I think he likely is) he just fits too well in a must fill 2012 position with an MLB minimum salary to let go for a rental.

The fact the MLB Trade Rumors hasn't picked up this proposed package makes me question if it has any validity.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I agree with katz - now is a good time to sell on Reddick, but you can't even be sure Bedard will make it through 2011.  If there is a three-way deal, with Seattle sending pieces to Chicago to help get Quentin, then it makes more sense, but not as laid out by the OP.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveMariner. Show SteveMariner's posts

In Response to Re: 950 KJR reporting Red Sox and Mariners agree to overall parameters:
    I agree with katz - now is a good time to sell on Reddick, but you can't even be sure Bedard will make it through 2011.  If there is a three-way deal, with Seattle sending pieces to Chicago to help get Quentin, then it makes more sense, but not as laid out by the OP.
    Posted by slomag

Yes, it's basically a three-way deal. The Red Sox and Mariners agreed on Reddick + Doubront + Wilson for Bedard + Laffey but the Sox will only sign off on it if they get Pence or Quentin. Seattle is willing to deal a couple of its prospects to the third team to help facilitate the deal because Gdzurnicek (Seattle GM) is apparently really high on Reddick and our scouts like what they see in Wilson. Your scouts are said to prefer Laffey to Doubront.

The source for this is Dave Mahler, a local sports radio personality here in the 
    Pacific Northwest. He's a close friend of Ken Madeja, Assistant GM of the Mariners. Mahler isn't saying that Madeja told him this, however he's heavily hinting at it by repeatedly saying "well-placed source." Mahler usually knows his stuff. He's been accurate about most of the personnel moves by the Mariners.

We'll see what happens. It should be an exciting weekend for our fan bases. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In Response to Re: 950 KJR reporting Red Sox and Mariners agree to overall parameters : Yes, it's basically a three-way deal. The Red Sox and Mariners agreed on Reddick + Doubront + Wilson for Bedard + Laffey but the Sox will only sign off on it if they get Pence or Quentin. Seattle is willing to deal a couple of its prospects to the third team to help facilitate the deal because Gdzurnicek (Seattle GM) is apparently really high on Reddick and our scouts like what they see in Wilson. Your scouts are said to prefer Laffey to Doubront. The source for this is Dave Mahler, a local sports radio personality here in the  Pacific Northwest. He's a close friend of Ken Madeja, Assistant GM of the Mariners. Mahler isn't saying that Madeja told him this, however he's heavily hinting at it by repeatedly saying "well-placed source." Mahler usually knows his stuff. He's been accurate about most of the personnel moves by the Mariners. We'll see what happens. It should be an exciting weekend for our fan bases. 
    Posted by SteveMariner

Steve, is that Softy saying that?  I am not sure I trust him that much.  For what it is worth, though, Geoff Baker has the Red Sox as the favorite to get Bedard.  Even going as far as opining he was skipped for his scheduled start in Boston so the Sox wouldn't have to face him.  The Sox want to see him pitch well, but not against them.  

Edit: For those readers of this board, Softy is the nickname of Dave Mahler, not our beloved poster on this board.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: 950 KJR reporting Red Sox and Mariners agree to overall parameters : Yes, it's basically a three-way deal. The Red Sox and Mariners agreed on Reddick + Doubront + Wilson for Bedard + Laffey but the Sox will only sign off on it if they get Pence or Quentin. Seattle is willing to deal a couple of its prospects to the third team to help facilitate the deal because Gdzurnicek (Seattle GM) is apparently really high on Reddick and our scouts like what they see in Wilson. Your scouts are said to prefer Laffey to Doubront. The source for this is Dave Mahler, a local sports radio personality here in the  Pacific Northwest. He's a close friend of Ken Madeja, Assistant GM of the Mariners. Mahler isn't saying that Madeja told him this, however he's heavily hinting at it by repeatedly saying "well-placed source." Mahler usually knows his stuff. He's been accurate about most of the personnel moves by the Mariners. We'll see what happens. It should be an exciting weekend for our fan bases. 
    Posted by SteveMariner

Thanks for coming here to post this on "our" website.  Apparently the M's don't play their cards as close to the vest as does Theo so you folks may have a better source than we do. 

But, man... I hate to part with Reddick.  But.. if the Sox can come out the other side with Pence or Quentin it'll lessen the sting some.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

We're going to get Bedard, Francoeur, & Ubaldo J.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The latest from columnist Geoff Baker at the Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2015764871_biggest_game_erik_bedard_will.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to 950 KJR reporting Red Sox and Mariners agree to overall parameters:
    Hi, Seattle fan here. I'd like some of your thoughts on the prospects who might be coming to the Mariners for Bedard. The local sports radio host says the Red Sox and Mariners have been talking for "several hours" about a trade that would send Erik Bedard + Aaron Laffey to Boston for Josh Reddick + Felix Doubront + Alex Wilson. The deal is contingent on 1. Bedard proving he's healthy on Friday, and 2. the Red Sox swinging a deal for a right-fielder to replace Reddick. According to one source, the Red Sox want a chance to talk to Bedard about an incentive-laden team option for 2012, as a condition precedent to making this deal. The same source said the Sox are optimistic about landing an outfield bat. Carlos Quentin and Hunter Pence were mentioned. No word on who the Sox would give up for one of those guys. This is a Seattle show and the focus was more on the Mariners. I'd appreciate any insight you guys might have on Doubront + Wilson, in particular. I see Reddick has been torrid. Thanks.
    Posted by SteveMariner

The Yanks and Sox are shooting for Jimenez or Karoda who probably won't waive his no trade clause according to most reports.  Harden and Bedard are their fall back options. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Posted by soxmeister

You are right.  3/4 of posts are negative tripe by several posters.  Laying off the insults and name-calling would require maturity and self-esteem, though.  Some awesome postings with stats and other ideas to support a position, others with nothing but names and slander.  

I, myself, dislike confrontation, and try humor to diffuse a bad situation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ws04ed. Show ws04ed's posts

So now their going to get even,
    Reddick and Duberont for Bedard
    It took them a while for that Lowe and Variteck for Slocumb beating they took.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

I guess there's no pressure on Bedard tonight then, is there?  Not like anyone is going to be paying attention.

I know it's better than nothing, but how much can a team really make a decision based on one performance?  I guess they'll look at his form, delivery, arm angle, and his ability to throw certain pitches as indicators he is sufficiently recovered from his injury.  Still, this is a lot to determine on one sampling.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Aw fiddlesticks!  I thought we were going to get Ichiro.

Sections
Shortcuts