950 KJR reporting Red Sox and Mariners agree to overall parameters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveMariner. Show SteveMariner's posts

950 KJR reporting Red Sox and Mariners agree to overall parameters

Hi, Seattle fan here. I'd like some of your thoughts on the prospects who might be coming to the Mariners for Bedard. The local sports radio host says the Red Sox and Mariners have been talking for "several hours" about a trade that would send Erik Bedard + Aaron Laffey to Boston for Josh Reddick + Felix Doubront + Alex Wilson. The deal is contingent on 1. Bedard proving he's healthy on Friday, and 2. the Red Sox swinging a deal for a right-fielder to replace Reddick. According to one source, the Red Sox want a chance to talk to Bedard about an incentive-laden team option for 2012, as a condition precedent to making this deal. The same source said the Sox are optimistic about landing an outfield bat. Carlos Quentin and Hunter Pence were mentioned. No word on who the Sox would give up for one of those guys. This is a Seattle show and the focus was more on the Mariners.

I'd appreciate any insight you guys might have on Doubront + Wilson, in particular. I see Reddick has been torrid.

Thanks.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Re: 950 KJR reporting Red Sox and Mariners agree to overall parameters

Interesting stuff... do you have a link?

If it's true, I'm not so sure I agree with the decision unless they have something huge up their sleeves to get Hunter Pence.

From Seattle's standpoint, they'd get a starting OF'er (Reddick), a Major League ready starter in Doubront and another starter that will likely reach the Majors within the next year or so in Wilson.  I believe Wilson has been a AA All-Star the past 2 seasons.

I'm just trying to think of where the Sox would go next if they were to make this deal.  In order to get Pence, they'd have to probably give up a package like Kalish, Lavarnway, Middlebrooks, Ranaudo because Pence's deal is very affordable.

If Theo's mindset is putting all your chips in Pence's basket for the next few seasons and then blowing up the farm knowing that your position players (with the exception of SS) will be locked up for at least another 2 seasons beyond this one, then I guess I get where he's coming from.  It just sounds very risky to me.

One thing that has been bugging me for awhile though is the outfield depth they have in the minors.  In theory, you have 4-5 guys that could be competing for the RF spot over the next couple of seasons.  At some point, the Sox have to look into trading 1 or 2 of them while their stocks are still high.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I'd send Kalish over Reddick. But I did say the team would pursue Beddard after hearing about Buch. 
    I still think the likelihood is Quentin, but Pence/Quentin and Beddard (getting a full year of Beddard) gives the team that "#3" arm and the RH outfielder.

Just hate to lose Reddick...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: 950 KJR reporting Red Sox and Mariners agree to overall parameters:
    I'd send Kalish over Reddick. But I did say the team would pursue Beddard after hearing about Buch.  I still think the likelihood is Quentin, but Pence/Quentin and Beddard (getting a full year of Beddard) gives the team that "#3" arm and the RH outfielder. Just hate to lose Reddick...
    Posted by harness

It wouldn't matter who you send if you're getting back Pence.  Getting Pence would basically solidify the OF for at least another 2 seasons beyond this one.  I just don't get why this can't just end at Bedard instead of blowing up the farm to get Pence.  If Reddick goes to Seattle then that basically guarantees another big deal for that OF bat.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: 950 KJR reporting Red Sox and Mariners agree to overall parameters:
    In Response to Re: 950 KJR reporting Red Sox and Mariners agree to overall parameters : It wouldn't matter who you send if you're getting back Pence.  Getting Pence would basically solidify the OF for at least another 2 seasons beyond this one.  I just don't get why this can't just end at Bedard instead of blowing up the farm to get PenceIf Reddick goes to Seattle then that basically guarantees another big deal for that OF bat.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

You just answered UR own question.
    Seattle allegedly wants Reddick. That mandates another deal.

Pence has a career .338 OBP in the retirement league.
    Quentin would be a good power bridge at less cost.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Ellsbury/Crawford = CRAWBURY. That "bust" will lead us into October high-lights.
    Quentin would be going from a heralded pitcher's park to cozy Fenway.
    He has more dingers in less AB's over the last 4 years against better - than UR retirement-league stud. And he's far less costly.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

CRAWBURY = tandem.
    No need for Kemp. Most pitchers are RH.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Kemp is working on a 7-year deal. Don't ya just hate players playing for a contract.
    Retirement league trap. Never even hit 30 dingers.
    Quentin should be good for 35 in a full Fenway season, at an affordable cost.

Keep moving the goal-posts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It would be interesting if this were the plan but why do we keep getting into these multiple team projects and usually end up with nothing? If I were Theo, I'd try to keep it simple this year but  wonder if this guy has a real inside scoop. I would think not.

I've looked at Seattle's farm though and it looks pretty bad to me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Quentin's career splits are a joke. If Jenks dumpster dive wasnt enough. Remember, most pitchers are rh, Harnut.
    Posted by billbyboy

Along with Wastefield, Fatfield, Crawbury, Crawbust, Theo bass, Harnut, Slackey, etc, Has this been added to the Newspeak dictionary? The Midnight In The Garden of Good & Evil edition?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Ah, temper temper. You heralded Crawford and deny Crawbust. Quentin career splits are exposed and why Williams is trying to hood Theo sea bass. Worked with Jenks.  Are your disability injuries bothering you as you sit down all day.   
    Posted by billbyboy

To quote harness quoting BurritoT a few weeks ago, "teee-hee, haha, tee-hee."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: 950 KJR reporting Red Sox and Mariners agree to overall parameters : To quote harness quoting BurritoT a few weeks ago, "teee-hee, haha, tee-hee."
    Posted by BurritoT

Jesus, he even types teee wrong. Try using UR extra finger.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Better Kalish goes than Reddick, but if Seattle wants Reddick and the Sox can bring home another OFer, then the deals look reasonable -- always depending upon what it costs to land the OFer.  
    Quentin would probably mash in Fenway and even on the road. But why are the White Sox moving him when they still have a chance to win the AL Central?  Has he gone south? 
    Bedard can pitch when he's upright, which, supposedly, he is at the moment. But he has had difficulty remaining in that position.
    Bedard or someone else, Boston needs a pitcher that can be slipped in after Beckett and Lester. Then if Lackey can at least hold his own or better, the Sox can wing-it in the 5 slot.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Quentin career splits are exposed ...

His splits have way less differential than Kemps and he'll take a fraction of the prospects it would take to get Kemp

Career splits:

Kemp vs LHPs: .946
    Kemp vs RHPs: .789
    Overall: .831 
    Differential: .157

Quentin vs LHPs: .795
    Quentin vs RHPs: .855
    Overall: .840
    Differential: .060

(Sidenote: silly clown has been bashing Reddick for 3 years on small sample sizes, and has continually said no prospects should stand in the way of getting top quality players via trade. Now, after a very good small sample size 2011 season for Reddick, silly clown has changed his tune once again.)

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

Simple look at Quentin's career splits and Pence exposes this expensive dumpster dive. Theo doesn't need a Rh OF bat according to harness because most pitchers are right handed. Crawbust says otherwise.
    Posted by billbyboy

"crawbust" --i like that. kind of like "theo inepstein."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

trade is bs

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

here's an idea;

how about the SOX package a couple of lesser prospects and THEO EPSTEIN for BEDARD and the mariner's GM.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Interesting stuff... do you have a link? If it's true, I'm not so sure I agree with the decision unless they have something huge up their sleeves to get Hunter Pence. From Seattle's standpoint, they'd get a starting OF'er (Reddick), a Major League ready starter in Doubront and another starter that will likely reach the Majors within the next year or so in Wilson.  I believe Wilson has been a AA All-Star the past 2 seasons. I'm just trying to think of where the Sox would go next if they were to make this deal.  In order to get Pence, they'd have to probably give up a package like Kalish, Lavarnway, Middlebrooks, Ranaudo because Pence's deal is very affordable. If Theo's mindset is putting all your chips in Pence's basket for the next few seasons and then blowing up the farm knowing that your position players (with the exception of SS) will be locked up for at least another 2 seasons beyond this one, then I guess I get where he's coming from.  It just sounds very risky to me. One thing that has been bugging me for awhile though is the outfield depth they have in the minors.  In theory, you have 4-5 guys that could be competing for the RF spot over the next couple of seasons.  At some point, the Sox have to look into trading 1 or 2 of them while their stocks are still high.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

What do his MLB stats look like? Actually his Pawtucket stats don't even impress that much.....this guy has been overrated from the get go.....but so is Bedard so I like this deal.

Sections
Shortcuts