98.5 interview with John Henry

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: 98.5 interview with John Henry

I only heard bits and pieces on the news so will try to catch the whole thing...but what I did hear..makes me shake my head a bit. So, Henry is going on record to say that he did not approve of the Carl Crawford deal? Do you believe him? I tend to think he is not being honest. Given the size and nature of Crawford's contract..I have a hard time believing the deal got done without Henry's blessing...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to 98.5 interview with John Henry:
    [QUOTE]The interview will be repeated in its entirety today at 3:00 p.m.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

There are about ten threads here with links to the entire interview.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Links to the audio interview are on the bottom of the page.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/10/henry_did_not_s.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Thats one of the few things I feel he was truthful about, and even then, why say that? The Francona smear job has Lucchino written all over it, and I appreciate the fact he came on the air but I think it was total damage control.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: 98.5 interview with John Henry:
    [QUOTE]Thats one of the few things I feel he was truthful about, and even then, why say that? The Francona smear job has Lucchino written all over it, and I appreciate the fact he came on the air but I think it was total damage control.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

The writer of the article ( Bob Hohler) has stated that Henry, Lucchino, and Werner were not among his sources. So your opinion is wrong.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Yeah. Henry did say that he, himself, didn't vote for the signing of Crawford, but he wasn't passing the buck. It's how their system works. Mazz and Felger keep looking for answers that aren't there and then continue to make stuff up. They're trying to fill-in the blanks, sensationalize those same blanks that they fill-in, and act like a bunch of Neanderthals that just discovered fire. It's pretty embarrassing, actually. I don't subscribe to that kind of stuff. There's a thing called the grey area, where not everything is black and white. Sometimes the grey area really isn't all that interesting. People have disagreements all the time, but it doesn't mean they hate each other as a result. These are businessmen. They don't go through life with that kind of cut and dry mentality. If they did, they wouldn't be where they are. I've posted several times that I think Mazz is a f333ing idiot and this interview goes beyond proving me right. He doesn't speak for me as a Red Sox fan. He's the epitomy of what I dislike about 2/3 of this board. I like Henry. I like how he doesn't get into every baseball issue. I don't want a Steinbrenner as an owner. Henry has said time and time again that he's not "The" baseball guy. He's a businessman. It just never sticks with you people.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Even if Henry didn't sign off on the Crawford signing, why go public with it?  The guy will still be with this club for the immediate future and now he has to hear that the principal owner didn't want him here?  Talk about an effed up situation.  Ownership is killing the the GM and the manager in the press, and it's clearer every day that there has been a dysfunctional relationship in the higher ranks that was pervasive enough to taint he on-field product.  What the hell is going on with the Red Sox?  This level of dysfuntion is mind boggling.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]Even if Henry didn't sign off on the Crawford signing, why go public with it?  The guy will still be with this club for the immediate future and now he has to hear that the principal owner didn't want him here?  Talk about an effed up situation.  Ownership is killing the the GM and the manager in the press, and it's clearer every day that there has been a dysfunctional relationship in the higher ranks that was pervasive enough to taint he on-field product.  What the hell is going on with the Red Sox?  This level of dysfuntion is mind boggling.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, he also said he voted against the Beckett trade too. Am I right on this? I can't go back and listen agian. The stuttering baboons are just too much for me. BUt that's my point too: When they get answers, they don't like the answers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Why can't you answer a simple question John?!!!" " Oh, that's right...  You did answer us...hmmm?... well, Why'd you give us an answer John?!!!"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Thats one of the few things I feel he was truthful about, and even then, why say that? The Francona smear job has Lucchino written all over it, and I appreciate the fact he came on the air but I think it was total damage control.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]I agree on the Crawford comments he made. He framed it badly because he was pizzed, he would not have been there if he wasn't pizzed.

I believe him though. His reasons made sense, whether it was the concern of replicated attributes or letting the people he hired to do the job, do the job. His point was more that he never ordered the signing for PR or NESN ratings purposes, it was a baseball operations decision.

On Lucchino, I am not buying it. I think the Trio all have great respect for Tito and appreciated the way he handled the his departure. If it had been uglier, if Tito forced the Trio to announce non-extension the theory might have carried more weight.

So far it doesn't seem to matter that writer has unequivocally discounted any speculation that any member of the senior management team was a source for anything in the article. I think that is what set Henry off to the point he drove to the studio. keep in mind the RS senior leadership just wants all this BS to die off and get about the business of making their 90 win team a 95-100 win team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 98.5 interview with John Henry : I agree on the Crawford comments he made. He framed it badly because he was pizzed, he would not have been there if he wasn't pizzed. I believe him though. His reasons made sense, whether it was the concern of replicated attributes or letting the people he hired to do the job, do the job. His point was more that he never ordered the signing for PR or NESN ratings purposes, it was a baseball operations decision. On Lucchino, I am not buying it. I think the Trio all have great respect for Tito and appreciated the way he handled the his departure. If it had been uglier, if Tito forced the Trio to announce non-extension the theory might have carried more weight. So far it doesn't seem to matter that writer has unequivocally discounted any speculation that any member of the senior management team was a source for anything in the article. I think that is what set Henry off to the point he drove to the studio. keep in mind the RS senior leadership just wants all this BS to die off and get about the business of making their 90 win team a 95-100 win team.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Agreed, everyone wants these issues buried and next season to be the success this season could have been.  The Crawford thing really seemed to hit Henry like a brick, I believe him and his devotion to the team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Henry is the owner, of course he cares about the team it is a huge investment of his personal net worth.  His accountability to this point was negligent.  I don't feel he did much but damage control and the damage still far outweighs his inarticulate explanations.  I wonder if the ones here who thought Henry was so convincing taking time to stand up to the press weeks too late also thought George Bush was an articulate speaker.  I listened to most of the interview and thought he sounded foolish.  "Josh Beckett was playing his heart out."  "I never wanted to sign Crawford." to a 142 million dollar deal.  All ridiculous stuff, are we to think that Lucchino went rogue and the feeble Henry just stood by innocently. The Red Sox lost the high road this year and became the most unlikable team in baseball, branding themselves as a entity called Red Sox nation the last years and saying goodbye to the team most of us have rooted for our whole lives.  They better get it back and the weak voiced Henry better find a leader to do so.  It is not him that you can be sure.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]Henry is the owner, of course he cares about the team it is a huge investment of his personal net worth.  His accountability to this point was negligent.  I don't feel he did much but damage control and the damage still far outweighs his inarticulate explanations.  I wonder if the ones here who thought Henry was so convincing taking time to stand up to the press weeks too late also thought George Bush was an articulate speaker.  I listened to most of the interview and thought he sounded foolish.  "Josh Beckett was playing his heart out."  "I never wanted to sign Crawford." to a 142 million dollar deal.  All ridiculous stuff, are we to think that Lucchino went rogue and the feeble Henry just stood by innocently. The Red Sox lost the high road this year and became the most unlikable team in baseball, branding themselves as a entity called Red Sox nation the last years and saying goodbye to the team most of us have rooted for our whole lives.  They better get it back and the weak voiced Henry better find a leader to do so.  It is not him that you can be sure.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Yeah ok. Because Mazz is so articulate.

"Weeks too late". Huh? Who the f789 are you to make that type of statement? Who the f789 is Mazz to say that? What are these time-limits that you speak of, that it somehow would make a difference? THat's the oldest media trick in the book dude. And you fall for it!? Here's another one: Repeat it until it's true. Fell for that one too, did ya'? You ever stop to think who benefits from all this?

No, this irrational, bi-polar, awkwardly entitled and bloodthirsty Boston media has gotten what they always wanted and have waited so long for.  They stopped feeling important. They were having withdrawals.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Most of this forum was for the Crawford signing last winter. The few that were against it had reasons that were similar to those of John Henry; didn't need another left-handed batter, redundant to Ellsbury's skills. John Henry deferred the decision to his baseball people; Lucchino and Epstein. At that moment they did not have the advantage of 20-20 hindsight or a crystal ball and thus predict that Crawford would have a poor year. Concord wants to know why the Front Office didn't have hindsight last winter.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for the posts, great reading. I was never for the signing of Carl. I am not a fan of small market players. I did like the way he handled himself in spring training, but it did not carry over to the real season. I think felger got John to say a few things which werent meant to be revealed. The Crawford deal being one.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Didn't someone above or on another thread correct you on small market team players that made it big after they came to the Red Sox.

P.S. - Felger is a complete AzzHo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Once you can fake sincerity, the rest is easy.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Oh, and he stated that everyone was giving a good effort and working hard. He is flat out lying, the proof is in front of our own eyes, he's trying to convince everyone it's sunny and warm when we all see the snowflakes.

After they couldn't even answer the original question about Theo coming back, to his disappearing act, and his unannounced visit....everything has been mishandled.

Felger may be a jerk at times, but at least he asks the questions most of the other media yes men are too much off a suck up to ask.

Win a ring or two, and fans will believe anything that comes out of his mouth apparently.

Yeah, this would be the first time in history a billionaire has LIED about his business dealings. First time. Would be a shocker. Rich people are always so honest and up front about everything and never trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. Oh, right, Henry is different.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

"To plainly believe Henry is flat out ignorance."

We have a winner.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah. Henry did say that he, himself, didn't vote for the signing of Crawford, but he wasn't passing the buck. It's how their system works. Mazz and Felger keep looking for answers that aren't there and then continue to make stuff up. They're trying to fill-in the blanks, sensationalize those same blanks that they fill-in, and act like a bunch of Neanderthals that just discovered fire. It's pretty embarrassing, actually. I don't subscribe to that kind of stuff. There's a thing called the grey area, where not everything is black and white. Sometimes the grey area really isn't all that interesting. People have disagreements all the time, but it doesn't mean they hate each other as a result. These are businessmen. They don't go through life with that kind of cut and dry mentality. If they did, they wouldn't be where they are. I've posted several times that I think Mazz is a f333ing idiot and this interview goes beyond proving me right. He doesn't speak for me as a Red Sox fan. He's the epitomy of what I dislike about 2/3 of this board. I like Henry. I like how he doesn't get into every baseball issue. I don't want a Steinbrenner as an owner. Henry has said time and time again that he's not "The" baseball guy. He's a businessman. It just never sticks with you people.
    Posted by emp9[/QUOTE]

Great post. Bravo.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Why the owner of one of the ten most recognizeable brands in the sporting world would walk unsolicited into an interview setting and unabashedly throw Carl Crawford under the bus is unprofessional.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Felger and Mazz were more than happy to have John Henry walk UNINVITED into their studio. Why should that bother you when it didn't bother them?

[QUOTE]Why the owner of one of the ten most recognizeable brands in the sporting world would walk unsolicited into an interview setting and unabashedly throw Carl Crawford under the bus is unprofessional.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

"

Principal owner John Henry, who made a surprise appearance on 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Felger & Mazz on Friday, said it was “definitely a baseball signing,” but not necessarily one he agreed with.

“In fact, anyone involved in the process, anybody involved in upper management with the Red Sox would tell you that I personally opposed that,” said Henry. “Why? Because we had plenty of left-handed hitting. I don’t have to go into why. I’ll just tell you that at the time, I opposed the deal.”