A 7-2 road trip will bring the Sox back to.500

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

A 7-2 road trip will bring the Sox back to.500

If the Red Sox go 7-2 on this road trip, they will return home with a 12-12 record to start a nice long homestand. Is this too much to expect or do you think it is attainable? I think if we see the Red Sox of the last 3 games they could pull it off. I would be happy with 6-3 though. What is everybody's expectations from this road trip?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: A 7-2 road trip will bring the Sox back to.500

I think it's more realistic for them to reach .500 in May but I like the way you think

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

West Coast swings are tough and if the RS can come home 5-4 it was a successful trip. Baltimore is improved, the A's and Angels have excellent pitching and aren't moving their clocks three hours forward.

Everything else is icing on the cake. But great outings (like the last three) from Buchholz and Lackey would go a long way to improve upon a 5-4 trip and do a lot for the RS swagger too IMO. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

It's certainly attainable, but I think 5-4 / 6-3 is the upper limit of what I would expect from the west coast trip.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

... and a 9-0 road trip could potentially put the Sox in first place.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A 2-7 road trip would leave the Red Sox at 7-17 (although the trip would be more successful that the first Red Sox road trip this season).

5-4 is a reasonable goal and anything better should be deemed a success.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: A 7-2 road trip will bring the Sox back to.500:
    It's certainly attainable, but I think 5-4 / 6-3 is the upper limit of what I would expect from the west coast trip.
    Posted by JB-3

I could live with that outcome.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Not gonna happen tito will be good for 1-3 losses on this road trip alone unless the sox blow out the opposing team.

In Response to A 7-2 road trip will bring the Sox back to.500:
    If the Red Sox go 7-2 on this road trip, they will return home with a 12-12 record to start a nice long homestand. Is this too much to expect or do you think it is attainable? I think if we see the Red Sox of the last 3 games they could pull it off. I would be happy with 6-3 though. What is everybody's expectations from this road trip?
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

The Sox always have their hands full on the west coast.  Plus I have to endure the other team's TV feed on the MLB package which makes losses tougher to take.  I'd be fine with 5-4 or 6-3 as long as they play well.

BTW, Red Sox 11 advancing the anti-Tito agenda at all costs is just so much fun to read again and again and again.  Thanks!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

GA all, since the Sox are working the late shift, i'll catch you guys in the AM..enjoy your game all....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

Is Redsox-11 Baseball Dr. Because hes p!ssing me off like the Dr. used to

Uselesssssssss Poster

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from njalb. Show njalb's posts

The problem is, when you put yourself in the hole, starting 0-6 you're constantly swimming upstream. 5-4 normally would be ok on a trip like this, but then you're just spinning your wheels

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I think Boston will go 5-4.

The Angels look great so far. 

The A's have great pitching. 

And Baltimore is well,..........Baltimore.  lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

West Coast swings are tough and if the RS can come home 5-4 it was a successful trip. Baltimore is improved, the A's and Angels have excellent pitching and aren't moving their clocks three hours forward. Everything else is icing on the cake. But great outings (like the last three) from Buchholz and Lackey would go a long way to improve upon a 5-4 trip and do a lot for the RS swagger too IMO. 
    Posted by fivekatz

We're facing Anderson and Gio in Oakland with Lackey and Buch.  1-1 would be great.  LA has won 9-12.  2-2 would be good.  BA we should take.  I'd be more than happy 5-4.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

7 & 2 WOULD BE GREAT.......  BUT DON'T START OFF 0 & 1 IN A "STINKER" LIKE LAST NIGHT AS THAT DOES NOT GIVE ME THE WARM & FUZZIES !!!  GOT TO HIT LEFT HANDERS...... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

First of all, the Sox can't hit lefties. So count today as a loss.
    They can't hit good pitchers, so Friday against Haren is a loss.

Assuming at best they go 4-2 in the other games, their road trip will
    be 4-5 at best and probably 3-6.

Lastly, why would you ever bring in Oki in a 1-0 game in the 8th inning when he hasn't been effective since 2008/2009 against lefties, and he's been in the minors all year. Where was Bard? Jenks?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

First of all, the Sox can't hit lefties. So count today as a loss. They can't hit good pitchers, so Friday against Haren is a loss. Assuming at best they go 4-2 in the other games, their road trip will be 4-5 at best and probably 3-6. Lastly, why would you ever bring in Oki in a 1-0 game in the 8th inning when he hasn't been effective since 2008/2009 against lefties, and he's been in the minors all year. Where was Bard? Jenks?
    Posted by ADG
    Don't count the Red Sox out today ... Gio Gonzalez is 1-0 with a 5.51 ERA and .292 BAA in three career starts against the Red Sox (although this season the lefthander is 2-0 with a 0.47 ERA and .182 BAA in three starts).

Today's matchup should be interesting. As I wrote on this forum in February:

Re: Ideas of the Armchair GM - Lunatic Fringe

posted at 2/13/2011 4:01 PM EST
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=b634e9e76cf4c7e54120e863762ba35a&plckUserId=b634e9e76cf4c7e54120e863762ba35a">
    First: 1/14/2006
    Last: 4/20/2011
    If I were the Oakland general manager, I would be reluctant to trade five years of Gio Gonzalez for four years of Clay Buchholz. The lefthanded Gonzalez last season posted a WAR of 3.2* and a FIP** of 3.78 while Buchholz, who is a year older, posted a WAR of 3.7 and a FIP of 3.61.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs.

** Fielding Independent Pitching as reported at
    FanGraphs

www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7448&position=P">http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7448&position=P
    www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3543&position=P">http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3543&position=P

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

At 4-1 so far on the road trip, this does not seem out of the question! Go Sox!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I didn't post on this thread when it first came out, but I thought 7-2 was a bit ambitious.  I did feel (and still do) that 5-4 was mandatory and thought 6-3 would be great.  But now 7-2 is a good possibility.  Knock on wood. 

redsoxlaxer, I am with you.  I had a discussion about Francona with RedSox-11, and it was like deja vu all over again with a discussion I had with the good Dr.  If he is not the same poster, then he is still just like him. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It sure looks like 7-2 is a good possibility. I was thinking 5-4, maybe 6-3..I hope Im wrong! The boys are starting to hit on all cylinders. Watch out!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

we have won 7 of our last 8. We are finding ways to win games, we are giving our pitchers run support who are also keeping the opposing teams to less point than the first two weeks. We are 1 game out of second place. So what is the big deal, why do people continue to by into the 'sky is falling' hype the media promotes?

Who here would feel comfortable if the Sox were in first place at the All-Star break and the Yanks were 5 games back? No one. There is so much baseball left just before the all-star break that his team could easily be in first place contention by the early May.

Sections
Shortcuts