A Big "What If" Concerning Middlebrooks, Bogaerts and Drew; What Would You Do?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

A Big "What If" Concerning Middlebrooks, Bogaerts and Drew; What Would You Do?

If Drew returns, it's safe to say he'd likely be the starting SS.

So conventional wisdom has Bogaerts becoming the starting 3B with Middlebrooks being the odd man out.

But WHAT IF ...

In spring training, Middlebrooks is tearing it up, batting .400 and ripping the ball all over the place and playing decent defense. Meanwhile, Bogaerts is struggling -- poor at-bats, hitting under .200. Who would you start at 3B?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Re: A Big

Slap Boggy to triple A and let him learn in the minors

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think you trade Drew, maybe not right away.....but there are plenty of teams that would love that upgrade.  at least that is what I would do. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bogey stays in AAA until it is certain he earns the extra year of team control. He is given time to learn the3B position- most likely his eventual best position.

This also gives Middy a long enough look to possibly prove himself, build up trade value, or allow us to decide to send him back to AAA for a bit or play a back-up 3B/1B/DH role as bogey assumes the FT 3B job.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

As  DAD would say ..........  "SON, in 1967 Dick Williams gave a few kids the keys, and the Red Sox NATION was born and the rest is HISTORY" !!!!    Why, all this talk about holding the "kids back"????    Baseball is now going with the "youth" more than the tired vets !!     IMO  !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

As  DAD would say ..........  "SON, in 1967 Dick Williams gave a few kids the keys, and the Red Sox NATION was born and the rest is HISTORY" !!!!    Why, all this talk about holding the "kids back"????    Baseball is now going with the "youth" more than the tired vets !!     IMO  !!

So what's your answer to my question?

I'm not saying the Sox should re-sign Drew. I've been on record saying they shouldn't re-sign him. I'm quite comfortable going into the season with Middlebrooks and Bogaerts on the left side.

However, it remains possible that the Sox bring Drew back. So if he is brought back, what would you do in my specific scenario -- a very plausible scenario?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

The only way I resign Drew is if he comes aboard understanding that his role is that of super-sub unless or until one of the youngsters falters badly. I don't see any of this happening since I think if Ben signs Drew, Farrell will start him at shortstop. Up to me I would thank Drew for his contributions to our championship, make sure he gets his ring in such a way that the fans can show their appreciation, and move on with the youngsters and the new UIF we got from Colorado. I believe that Ben was comfortable trading Iggy because of the rapid ascent of Bogey through the system, not to mention Marrero also on the doorstep. Maybe in two or three years we will have Bogey at third, Middlebrooks at first, Marrero at shortstop and Cecchini in left or DH. Resigning Drew just puts all of that on hold; time to move on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Crazy thing just happened to me on the above post; I couldn't submit it until I changed the word "s h o r t" to "shortstop". What is going on BDC?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Crazy thing just happened to me on the above post; I couldn't submit it until I changed the word "s h o r t" to "shortstop". What is going on BDC?

Yes....I couldn't say that word as well.  Very weird. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The only way I resign Drew is if he comes aboard understanding that his role is that of super-sub unless or until one of the youngsters falters badly. I don't see any of this happening since I think if Ben signs Drew, Farrell will start him at shortstop. Up to me I would thank Drew for his contributions to our championship, make sure he gets his ring in such a way that the fans can show their appreciation, and move on with the youngsters and the new UIF we got from Colorado. I believe that Ben was comfortable trading Iggy because of the rapid ascent of Bogey through the system, not to mention Marrero also on the doorstep. Maybe in two or three years we will have Bogey at third, Middlebrooks at first, Marrero at shortstop and Cecchini in left or DH. Resigning Drew just puts all of that on hold; time to move on.

Agree  but it remains a possibility that Drew comes back and if he does, he will start, leaving 3B up for grabs. So if Drew does return, what would you do in the scenario I mentioned in my OP.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Agree  but it remains a possibility that Drew comes back and if he does, he will start, leaving 3B up for grabs. So if Drew does return, what would you do in the scenario I mentioned in my OP.

Both Middlebrooks and Bogey have minor league options so in your scenario where Drew is our starting shortstop, one of the two starts the season at Pawtucket and gets regular at-bats. Which one would depend on who's performing best in ST. But my choice would be to NOT sign Drew.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My choice would be not to sign Drew as well, but if we even think about signing him, it would never be as a sub.

My guess is Middy starts the season to get a long look, unless he looks real bad in ST.

Bogey stays in AAA to build another year of team control and learn how to play 3B.

Again, we should take the draft pick and give the kids a chance.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

My choice would be not to sign Drew as well, but if we even think about signing him, it would never be as a sub.

My guess is Middy starts the season to get a long look, unless he looks real bad in ST.

Bogey stays in AAA to build another year of team control and learn how to play 3B.

Yeah, I agree with that last part. In my scenario, I'd start Middlebrooks too, but I wonder what the Sox are thinking. I wonder if they're disenchanted with Middlebrooks, which is why they seem open to bringing back Drew.

Or is it that because they're not sure about Middlebrooks, they want to bring back Drew, start Middlebrooks at 3B with Bogaerts in the minors and see how he does. Then either trade Drew in the summer and bring up Bogaerts, or if Middlebrooks falters, bring him up for 3B.

My original question came from the idea that there seems to be the view that if Drew did come back, Middlebrooks would be the odd man out and the Sox would start Bogaerts at 3B.

If you heard DiScarcina (sp?) on WEEI yesterday, he said Middlebrooks is at his best when he's fighting for a job. So maybe that's why the Sox would bring back Drew -- to spur competition to get the best out of him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, I agree with that last part. In my scenario, I'd start Middlebrooks too, but I wonder what the Sox are thinking. I wonder if they're disenchanted with Middlebrooks, which is why they seem open to bringing back Drew.

Or is it that because they're not sure about Middlebrooks, they want to bring back Drew, start Middlebrooks at 3B with Bogaerts in the minors and see how he does. Then either trade Drew in the summer and bring up Bogaerts, or if Middlebrooks falters, bring him up for 3B.

My original question came from the idea that there seems to be the view that if Drew did come back, Middlebrooks would be the odd man out and the Sox would start Bogaerts at 3B.

If you heard DiScarcina (sp?) on WEEI yesterday, he said Middlebrooks is at his best when he's fighting for a job. So maybe that's why the Sox would bring back Drew -- to spur competition to get the best out of him.

The biggest plus I see in signing Drew is gaining a year of team control on Bogey in his prime, so I do not think we can assume Middy would be the "odd man out". As you pointed out, as the season pregresses, he may end up being ousted from his job and/or traded or sent down to AAA to make room for Bogey at 3B. The idea of trading Drew might make sense as well, and there would probably be more takers with no lost draft pick attached and only a partial salary remaining.

The way I see it, we should trade Dempster when the GM desperation curve reaches its peak. The salary space would give us the flexibility to fill a hole that may develop over the spring and early summer, but everyone would be given a long look before losing their job.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I'm not saying the Sox should re-sign Drew. I've been on record saying they shouldn't re-sign him. I'm quite comfortable going into the season with Middlebrooks and Bogaerts on the left side.

However, it remains possible that the Sox bring Drew back. So if he is brought back, what would you do in my specific scenario -- a very plausible scenario?

Just saying that it is time to remove the cloud of STEVIE DREW.....  Yes, Ben would be happy to see him move on and get a "chip" in return..... However, we hve Drews replacement & then some in our farm system ....Time to move on !!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Just saying that it is time to remove the cloud of STEVIE DREW.....  Yes, Ben would be happy to see him move on and get a "chip" in return..... However, we hve Drews replacement & then some in our farm system ....Time to move on !!

'The cloud of Stevie Drew'????  Care to elaborate on how a player that is not on the team....but was a HUGE reason why we won the WS last year is now suddenly a cloud??  Can you go away Bill?

As for the original question..... in that scenario you go with the hot hand in WMB, send Boggy down for more 'seasoning'.  If Boggy starts to tear it up you now have a great trade commodity in Drew who for all intents and purposes, probably signed to a team friendly deal so you could get something decent in return mid season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well, in my little Armchair GM dreamworld, we sign Drew, Bogaerts is our third baseman and Middlebrooks gets traded along with Dempster.

But Cherington is the real GM and I have complete confidence that he'll make the right moves.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

So conventional wisdom has Bogaerts becoming the starting 3B with Middlebrooks being the odd man out.

But WHAT IF ...

In spring training, Middlebrooks is tearing it up, batting .400 and ripping the ball all over the place and playing decent defense. Meanwhile, Bogaerts is struggling -- poor at-bats, hitting under .200. Who would you start at 3B?

Wade Boggs

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

But WHAT IF ...

I think it is a no brainer.  JBJ started last season  at fenway because of his st numbers. Even if your scenario happens I am sure there will be some who would like middy back in the minors and boggy at third. Like someone said, Boggie had a few good games last season at fenway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Bogey stays in AAA until it is certain he earns the extra year of team control. He is given time to learn the3B position- most likely his eventual best position.

This also gives Middy a long enough look to possibly prove himself, build up trade value, or allow us to decide to send him back to AAA for a bit or play a back-up 3B/1B/DH role as bogey assumes the FT 3B job.

I agree.  If Middlebrooks is tearing it up and Bogaerts is struggling, this would be the logical move.  This might even be the logical move if both players are performing about as expected.  At least the team would have options if one of the players struggles.

I think the bigger question is, if Drew is not signed, and Middlebrooks or Bogaerts, or heaven forbid both, tank, then what?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The biggest plus I see in signing Drew is gaining a year of team control on Bogey in his prime, so I do not think we can assume Middy would be the "odd man out". As you pointed out, as the season pregresses, he may end up being ousted from his job and/or traded or sent down to AAA to make room for Bogey at 3B. The idea of trading Drew might make sense as well, and there would probably be more takers with no lost draft pick attached and only a partial salary remaining.

The way I see it, we should trade Dempster when the GM desperation curve reaches its peak. The salary space would give us the flexibility to fill a hole that may develop over the spring and early summer, but everyone would be given a long look before losing their job.

Yes, that IS the biggest advantage of signing Drew. However, Drew is not going to come cheap and in signing him we would lose the draft pick we would obtain if he signs elsewhere. The only situation in which I would sign him is if he is obtained on the cheap out of desperation on his part. I believe that the FO is going to give Middlebrooks many months to show what he has at 3B and that Bogey will be our starting SS, leaving Drew to be a backup IF (and we already have one of those). Bottom line: forget about Drew. Let him go somewhere else and move on. As for Dempster, he is fairly useless-AND expensive. If we wait to trade him until later on I think his trade value will go DOWN, not up, as he stinks and that will become more and more apparent as the season progresses. The only thing he offers is the ability to throw lots of (bad) innings. Dump his salary ASAP, if we can.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Easy...Middy starts, Xander to AAA, and Drew is your starting SS.

Re-evaluate mid season. Drew will probably come fairly cheap at this point if we were to sign him, so moving him at the deadline wouldnt be much of an issue, IMHO, if Xander AND WMB are killing it. We could get back something nice for a SS like Drew to a team in need. Providing there is a team in need of a 2-3 month rental at SS in the playoff hunt.

With all that said. Id go with Xander/WMB on the left side to start 2014. I still think the Mets will cave and sign Drew. They arent comfortable going with Tejada at SS, regardless of what they say.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Easy...Middy starts, Xander to AAA, and Drew is your starting SS.

Re-evaluate mid season. Drew will probably come fairly cheap at this point if we were to sign him, so moving him at the deadline wouldnt be much of an issue, IMHO, if Xander AND WMB are killing it. We could get back something nice for a SS like Drew to a team in need. Providing there is a team in need of a 2-3 month rental at SS in the playoff hunt.

With all that said. Id go with Xander/WMB on the left side to start 2014. I still think the Mets will cave and sign Drew. They arent comfortable going with Tejada at SS, regardless of what they say.

Not so sure. The Mets have no chance in 2014, so why spend needlessly?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

'The cloud of Stevie Drew'????  Care to elaborate on how a player that is not on the team....but was a HUGE reason why we won the WS last year is now suddenly a cloud??  Can you go away Bill?

As for the original question..... in that scenario you go with the hot hand in WMB, send Boggy down for more 'seasoning'.  If Boggy starts to tear it up you now have a great trade commodity in Drew who for all intents and purposes, probably signed to a team friendly deal so you could get something decent in return mid season.

Don't expect an intelligent answer from him. He had two tries to post an intelligent response to a specific scenario and all he could do was parrot the same response that has nothing to do with the question. Expecting an intelligent response from him is like expecting it to snow in Florida in July.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

As my 13 year old would say, we didn't win a WS in 1967, or in the 49 years prior to that, or in the 36 years subsequent to that.

1967 is when I became a RS fan, but just because it didn't work then is no guarantee it will work now.

Sections
Shortcuts