A case for David Ortiz to the HOF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: A case for David Ortiz to the HOF

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is Mariano Rivera a Hall of Famer? If he and other great closers, whose job is to record three outs (usually) in something less than half the games their team will play in any given season, warrant HOF consideration, then I can't see why designated hitters shouldn't.  

YES HE IS !!!!   Because he got the job done 96% of the time for 18-20 YEARS !!!!!

[/QUOTE]

And that's the point...he had a particular job to do, and he was the best ever at doing it. It would make as little sense to bar someone like Rivera from the Hall because he only pitched 70 or 80 innings a year instead of 180-200 as it would to automatically shut out a DH because "he doesn't play defense" or "all he does is hit."

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

nothing to do with "winning" or "quitting" bill.

some people would say it is smart to avoid the opinion of a bigot as it is an opinion based in ignorance and/or hate.

but please, do not let me stop you from your continuous trolling here on the baseball forum......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

nothing to do with "winning" or "quitting" bill.

some people would say it is smart to avoid the opinion of a bigot as it is an opinion based in ignorance and/or hate.

but please, do not let me stop you from your continuous trolling here on the baseball forum......

[/QUOTE]

Well said.  Bill is a bigot and a troll.....it makes no sense why EVERYBODY doesn't do the same.  We don't associate with trash like that in 'real life'.....why do it here?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

WOW.......  Do you know that you have just spoken out/up to the "PAPI DOZEN" on this board that thinks that PAPI can do no wrong and is a better ball player than anyone else that have ever graced the diamond !!!!  WOW, I salute your strength under the fact that you will be DEMONIZED for going against (with opinion) the great baseball Gods on this board !!!!

[/QUOTE]

Bill, 
    I should have expected another stupid comeback as that's all you're capable of since anything in the way of an intelligent comment escapes you. I'm not a quitter and never have been. 

I've had enough of you. You sound like a total Jackazz anymore. Nobody has said that Ortiz can do no wrong, you're the dope that draws that conclusion. And no one has said that he's a better player than anyone else, etc. Again you take things and draw your own idiotic conclusions. I for one gave you some slack for a bit but your back to your former stupidity so I've no choice but to put you on ignore again, permanantly. I've much better things to do than read your lunacy including the idiocy you write about Jenny.

Goodbye you fool,

Hetch 

[/QUOTE]That a boy HETCH !!!  Thats one way to avoid other peoples OPINIONS !!!   AsDAD would say ........  "SON, quitters never win, & winners never quit" !!!
    [/QUOTE]

Bill, 

I should have expected another stupid comeback as that's all you're capable of since anything in the way of an intelligent comment escapes you. I'm not a quitter and never have been. 

It's my way of avoiding a complete IDIOT which is you. If you had valid opinions I would converse with you just as I do with others frequently but I choose to ignore you because you've the point of view of an imbicile and as noted a bigot. I can't deal with imbicilic points of view. Just yours and nobody else's. Chew on that for a few days.

Hetch 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]you have just spoken out/up to the "PAPI DOZEN" on this board that thinks that PAPI can do no wrong and is a better ball player than anyone else that have ever graced the diamond !!!! 

[/QUOTE] Bill while i have no dog in this fight, i think it's pretty safe to say that absolutely noone on the board has even remotely suggested that..

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[/QUOTE]

Whoa hang on there a bit skippy. No need to get over emotional. No one expects Bieber I mean Papi to be perfect. His character is far from perfect no matter what you Beliebers I mean Ortiz worshopers think. He is a part time player. Anyone who knows a lick about baseball ( ya know, the writers) is gonna balk at putting a part time player in the HOF. Our beloved Papi has great offensive numbers but he is not a complete player. If you can prove to me those offensive numbers would happen if he also played full time defense like every other player then you got my vote but it just ain't so. Papi may be the greatest DH of all time and in the minds of the Beliebers I mean Papi worshipers the greatest Red Sox but he ain't HOF and I ain't the only one in this conversation saying that neither is Bill. Funny though how ya only fix yourself on what Bill and me who defended him say. Methinks ya take yourself a little too seriously.

[/QUOTE]

Chuck, 

Do you consider a relief pitcher a part time player ? 

Hetch

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to BoSoxChuck's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Whoa hang on there a bit skippy. No need to get over emotional. No one expects Bieber I mean Papi to be perfect. His character is far from perfect no matter what you Beliebers I mean Ortiz worshopers think. He is a part time player. Anyone who knows a lick about baseball ( ya know, the writers) is gonna balk at putting a part time player in the HOF. Our beloved Papi has great offensive numbers but he is not a complete player. If you can prove to me those offensive numbers would happen if he also played full time defense like every other player then you got my vote but it just ain't so. Papi may be the greatest DH of all time and in the minds of the Beliebers I mean Papi worshipers the greatest Red Sox but he ain't HOF and I ain't the only one in this conversation saying that neither is Bill. Funny though how ya only fix yourself on what Bill and me who defended him say. Methinks ya take yourself a little too seriously.

[/QUOTE]

who's getting emotional?  look at your post.  looks pretty emotional to me.  pot this is kettle - you are black.

FWIW Papi's slash line as 1b = .276 / .360 / .867

methinks if he did a career's worth of that + what he has done in the postseason (see:  heroics) he would be in contention for a nod. (assuming whispers never occured).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

bill is a racist. his posts -current and past- are proof enough.

on to the point of the thread.... i am extremely surprised no one has mentioned the actual criteria of getting into the hall aside from numbers on the field. "character, integrity and sportsmanship". three things that David "big papi" Ortiz embodies. He is one of the more beloved players among his peers in all of baseball. no matter where the sox play or who the sox play, there are multiple members of the opposing team coming out to greet papi and recieve a big hug. he gives back to the community of Boston as well as his homeland and the Roberto clemente award he received proves that (to say nothing of the efforts by him and the rest of the team in the aftermath of marathon monday). The weight of this criteria is up for debate but they ARE taken into account. that is an undeniable fact after the last round of voting.

onto the numbers.... if he retired today, his regular season numbers would be borderline HoF worthy. if you include PS numbers as well as his 3 rings and title of DH GOAT i think he makes it.

if he plays for another 2-3 years with decent-solid production then that only further solidifies his place in the HoF. i do not think the PED rumors (i hesitate to even call them "rumors" because there was only one whisper of it that was extremely vague. A tweet from "the Onion" has more validity than the claim that papi was on PEDs.) will affect him for the reasons stated above.

[/QUOTE]

Yup. Big Papis character and sportsmanship were on display when he took a bat to a dugout phone and almost injured a player. Its on display every time he sulks at contract time.  He's a great DH for the Sox but he is a one dimensional player and one dimensional players don't make it to the HOF unless they are a pitcher.

[/QUOTE]

What a load of ...

The "almost injured a players" attitude is ... wow, so overblown. Beyond that -- by your analysis, there must be few, if any, athletes who have character because even the  most mild-mannered athlete has lost his temper. Yaz pulled a temper trantrum once -- probably more than once -- because of a bad call. Guess he has no character.

Attitudes like your have to be among the most ridiculous on this board. An athlete isn't perfect, so you cherry-pick a rare example as a huge brush to paint the player as having no character. Pathetic.

And sulking because at contract time? Really? If he sulked, he wouldn't produce like he has. If he sulked, he wouldn't talk and he'd be moody and irritable. All that Ortiz does is be honest. It's easy fodder for a story when a star athlete is on the last year of a contract so of course reporters are going to ask him about it. And Ortiz is honest about his feelings and his insecurities are exposed in such situations.

But according to you and Bill, I guess the fact Ortiz isn't perfect and has human foibles make him a guy with no character and no sportsmanship. All the many other good things he has done in his career mean nothing. You found a flaw or two in the guy so that gives license to ignore everything else.

As for the Hall -- there are no one-dimensional players in the Hall? Really. You might want to go look at the list of players in the Hall. As I stated earlier, right now I don't think Ortiz should be in the Hall. But if he players three more years or so, let's see what his numbers look like then.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And what did we all learn today boys and girls?? 

That Chuck is a Bieber fan......

So now we have a bigot on the forum and a creepy guy that likes young boy singers.......  that's great. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

who's getting emotional?  look at your post.  looks pretty emotional to me.  pot this is kettle - you are black.

methinks if he did a career's worth of that + what he has done in the postseason (see:  heroics) he would be in contention for a nod. (assuming whispers never occured).

[/QUOTE]

but he hasn't done a careers worth of that and what he's done in the post season has he? Ya can't put someone in the HOF based on what he coulda done. He's still just a part time player and part time players don't make the HOF unless they are pitching the ball.

[/QUOTE]

i simply was replying to your request of offensive numbers whilst he was wearing a glove.  the #'s are pretty good.  and most of them are against NL pitchers whom i would guess he didn't face too often (advantage:  pitcher) or in the postseason where he would be facing above average (one would assume) pitching. 

would love to hear your thoughts on Hetch's query...."do you consider a relief pitcher as a part time player"?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

on to the point of the thread.... i am extremely surprised no one has mentioned the actual criteria of getting into the hall aside from numbers on the field. "character, integrity and sportsmanship". three things that David "big papi" Ortiz embodies. He is one of the more beloved players among his peers in all of baseball. no matter where the sox play or who the sox play, there are multiple members of the opposing team coming out to greet papi and recieve a big hug. he gives back to the community of Boston as well as his homeland and the Roberto clemente award he received proves that (to say nothing of the efforts by him and the rest of the team in the aftermath of marathon monday). The weight of this criteria is up for debate but they ARE taken into account. that is an undeniable fact after the last round of voting.

onto the numbers.... if he retired today, his regular season numbers would be borderline HoF worthy. if you include PS numbers as well as his 3 rings and title of DH GOAT i think he makes it.

if he plays for another 2-3 years with decent-solid production then that only further solidifies his place in the HoF. i do not think the PED rumors (i hesitate to even call them "rumors" because there was only one whisper of it that was extremely vague. A tweet from "the Onion" has more validity than the claim that papi was on PEDs.) will affect him for the reasons stated above.

[/QUOTE]

Yup. Big Papis character and sportsmanship were on display when he took a bat to a dugout phone and almost injured a player. Its on display every time he sulks at contract time.  He's a great DH for the Sox but he is a one dimensional player and one dimensional players don't make it to the HOF unless they are a pitcher.

[/QUOTE]

What a load of ...

The "almost injured a players" attitude is ... wow, so overblown. Beyond that -- by your analysis, there must be few, if any, athletes who have character because even the  most mild-mannered athlete has lost his temper. Yaz pulled a temper trantrum once -- probably more than once -- because of a bad call. Guess he has no character.

Attitudes like your have to be among the most ridiculous on this board. An athlete isn't perfect, so you cherry-pick a rare example as a huge brush to paint the player as having no character. Pathetic.

And sulking because at contract time? Really? If he sulked, he wouldn't produce like he has. If he sulked, he wouldn't talk and he'd be moody and irritable. All that Ortiz does is be honest. It's easy fodder for a story when a star athlete is on the last year of a contract so of course reporters are going to ask him about it. And Ortiz is honest about his feelings and his insecurities are exposed in such situations.

But according to you and Bill, I guess the fact Ortiz isn't perfect and has human foibles make him a guy with no character and no sportsmanship. All the many other good things he has done in his career mean nothing. You found a flaw or two in the guy so that gives license to ignore everything else.

As for the Hall -- there are no one-dimensional players in the Hall? Really. You might want to go look at the list of players in the Hall. As I stated earlier, right now I don't think Ortiz should be in the Hall. But if he players three more years or so, let's see what his numbers look like then.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So now we have a bigot on the forum and a creepy guy that likes young boy singers.......  that's great. 

[/QUOTE]

I guess you are not bright. If you were bright you'd see that I was comparing the ortiz worshoppers to teenage starry eyed Justin Beiber fans. Sorry next time I'll dumb down the analogy for ya .

[/QUOTE]

Oh.....so you're only smart if you can understand a lame attemt at a humorous analogy....  makes perfect sense.  My analogy about you being a creepy guy that likes Justin Bieber however was amazing......  

Anyway......have a nice day 'creepy guy that spends time looking at starry eyed Justin Bieber fans'!!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

but he hasn't done a careers worth of that and what he's done in the post season has he? Ya can't put someone in the HOF based on what he coulda done. He's still just a part time player and part time players don't make the HOF unless they are pitching the ball.

[/QUOTE]

Chuck, 

I won't get into the Bieber krap shouting match, etc. But if you define a pitcher, starter as well as reliever as a part time player and it seems you believe they can make the HOF, why cannot a DH a definitive position as of I believe 1970, which again by your definition is also a part time player why cannot a DH make the HOF. I'd love to hear a clear and concise explanation, please.

Hetch 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What a load of ...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess you are not bright. If you were bright you'd see that I was comparing the ortiz worshoppers to teenage starry eyed Justin Beiber fans. Sorry next time I'll dumb down the analogy for ya .

[/QUOTE]

Oh.....so you're only smart if you can understand a lame attemt at a humorous analogy....  makes perfect sense.  My analogy about you being a creepy guy that likes Justin Bieber however was amazing......  

Anyway......have a nice day 'creepy guy that spends time looking at starry eyed Justin Bieber fans'!!

[/QUOTE]HTK ......   I think that what Chuck is trying to tell you (& maybe others) that it looks like you have fun playing the race/creepy card/s as often as you can at the expense of other posters.....  Sort of, like trying to make other people look bad or poor peforming for the eyes of other posters........  That activity worked well thru the 8th grade !!!

[/QUOTE]

bill, I don't think you're one to talk about someone having a juvenile mindset in your posts. Try growing up and having mature and intelligent debates for a change. That chuck couldn't respond w/o resorting to childish namecalling shows the level of intelligent debate he's capable of. I guess that's why your such a fan.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

What set Chuck off was Roy's destruction of his indictment of Ortiz's character based on a couple of trivial complaints. (Oh no, he lost his temper in the dugout? He grumbled a little about his contract? The HOF is going to be kicking out a lot of its members of this is the criteria we're now using!)

I really don't see the blind Ortiz worship he perceives in this thread, either...what I see is a lot of sober debate with good points made on both sides. It's a great question, and one that will be debated for quite a while, I think.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What a load of ...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]HTK ......   I think that what Chuck is trying to tell you (& maybe others) that it looks like you have fun playing the race/creepy card/s as often as you can at the expense of other posters.....  Sort of, like trying to make other people look bad or poor peforming for the eyes of other posters........  That activity worked well thru the 8th grade !!!

[/QUOTE]

Bill......normally I don't need the rostetta stone to decipher your ramblings.....but this time I have NO CLUE what you're trying to say.  In fact you made Chucks lame post even more confusing.  Creepy Chuck can write just fine......let him take care of himself....  why don't you get back to being a bigot now....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

bill, I don't think you're one to talk about someone having a juvenile mindset in your posts. Try growing up and having mature and intelligent debates for a change. That chuck couldn't respond w/o resorting to childish namecalling shows the level of intelligent debate he's capable of. I guess that's why your such a fan.

[/QUOTE] ROY, may I suggest that you reread Chucks thread.....  Chuck is not the problem here......  As far as my condut, yes Im not shy in my posting...... However, this "race card" stuff is so childish and really has no place on this board......  People can choose to read & respond or ply the ignore button.  The rest of the crying is so childish that it is a waste of everyones valuable time .

[/QUOTE]

If you really think that chuck's response to my post was done in an intelligent manner ... then well, I guess that says a lot about how you think.

Whatever points he wanted to use to refute my point was buried amongst childish phraseology.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

we should be happy papi does not play defense. top 1Bman (which is what papi would be if he played in the NL) make a gazillion dollars.

also, it's not like papi CANT play defense.... he flashes some pretty decent leather when he's in the field. he just took advantage of american league rules. prince fielder at his smallest is/was still bigger than big papi at his respective largest so if he can play an adequate 1B then is it safe to assume that papi could do the same for 15 years if there was no DH available? forget the fact that at age 37 he played a solid 1B which already proves my point.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Roy, 

What I find amazing is that I've asked Chuck for an explanation of his point of view twice now and have yet to receive a reply. So either Chuck has no basis for his argument or he doesn't care to reply. Either way here it goes for a third time to Chuck if he cares to reply.

Chuck, 

If you define a pitcher, starter as well as reliever as a part time player and it seems you believe they can make the HOF, why cannot a DH, a definitive position as of I believe 1970, which again by your definition is also a part time player why cannot a DH make the HOF. I'd love to hear a clear and concise explanation, please.

Hetch 

Sections
Shortcuts