A closer Look at Iggy's 2012 MLB Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Re: A closer Look at Iggy's 2012 MLB Season

From "rent a wreck" to cabrara to scut and lowrie the RS have dealt with SS with less than stellar defensive skills though they hit fairly well.  I think that they need to switch gears and put out a SS that can play the position and work on the hitting.  A sleek foot SS in Boston?  What a concept.  My only hope here is that RS nation be a little patient....yeah right.  My guess is that RS fans won't put up with a rebuilding year and they won't take long to turn on a SS or anyone hitting .108.  I agree with RedsoxProspects and believe he is just what the position ordered.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hey Moon,

Is there a place where I can find a "Pitches per at bat" stat for every player? Im curious to see what Iggys were. I noticed he was taking more pitches then he did in the past. I also noticed he put the bat on the ball a bit more as well, but came up short.

Go to baseballreference.com, click on Red Sox. Click on Batting. Schroll down to "Team Pitches batting" or click this link:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2012-batting.shtml

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to never1954's comment:

From "rent a wreck" to cabrara to scut and lowrie the RS have dealt with SS with less than stellar defensive skills though they hit fairly well.  I think that they need to switch gears and put out a SS that can play the position and work on the hitting.  A sleek foot SS in Boston?  What a concept.  My only hope here is that RS nation be a little patient....yeah right.  My guess is that RS fans won't put up with a rebuilding year and they won't take long to turn on a SS or anyone hitting .108.  I agree with RedsoxProspects and believe he is just what the position ordered.

Like I said, 5 of the worst 10 hitting SS teams made the playoffs this year. 8 of 10 of the playoff teams had better than average fielding SSs. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Most of the so-called experts here look only at BA as an indicator of hitting. 

Iglesias has great plate discipline for his youth, and is adept at putting the ball in play. Many times he scorched the ball right at someone.

The balls in play will find grass and the BA and OBP will improve. I just hope the FO is smart enough to see that and not trade him away.

I have no doubt that he will be an AS caliber player in the near future.

I'm very much in favor of having Iggy start, but I'm not seeing the plate discipline.  He has a 18/4 K/W ratio in the pros, which is poor, and 162/64 in the minors, a little weak, but not terribly discouraging.  Still, not great discipline.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

He needs to hit 240 at least to a be viable starter. Right now he looks like utility player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

As Moon initially points out, this guy is a very SPECIAL defensive player at a very important defensive position.   Iglesius's stats are currently from a small sample size, but there is not much of a chance that they will change dramatically either up or down with more innings in the field.

I have mentioned on another thread that this guy can be taught and directed to be a much better offensive contributor.  He is a different type of player and needs to have different expectations with a different teaching emphasis.

Let's get this guy away from thinking long ball and long drives into any gaps for extra base hits.  He is too valuable in the field not to be in the field, but he can should no longer have the "normal" offensive expectations tied to his effectiveness.

Teach this guy to hit line drives and hard grounders up the middle in every at-bat.  Almost like game speed pepper.  He will not get many HRs or RBIs but he will make plenty enough of an offensive contribution to keep his stellar glove in the lineup while hitting 9th in the order.

Hitting the ball up the middle hard three times a game will get him about a single per game.  He will learn to pull the inside pitch and also hit the outside pitch to right field.  This approach will cut down on his swings at balls that are out of the strike zone which will increase his OBP by increasing his walks.

He is certainly ahtletic enough to be taught to learn to bunt for a hit and also improve his ability to sacrifice bunt to further increase his offensive capabilities even though he may still get pinch hit for with runners on late in games.

He has excellent speed and I would bet that he could get a bunt base hit once every four games and get a sacrifice at least once every third game.  Both aspects would help make his OBP continue to rise.

With this guy's glove would it be terrible if he had 5 to 7 hits a week with a few walks, a couple of sacrfice bunts even if he ended the year with only two HRs and maybe 45 RBIs???

Many "defensive" guys played shortstop in the past with less offensive stats than i think this guy can achieve (.240-.270 BA, .330-.365 OBP, 45 RBIs, a couple of HR) while probably not be as good as Iglesius is in the field where he may save 1/4 run per game.

HIT THE BALL UP THE MIDDLE, Jose!!!!  LEARN TO BUNT BETTER, JOSE!!!!  Earn more money as a starting major league shortstop until perhaps you can expand your hitting role.

Do you think that Dave Magadan reads this forum and gathers any contructive ideas ???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

He is going for conditioning in the off season, to help keep him on the field and give him some more pop in his bat. If he does some damage he will start drawing more walks, which is probably key for him. He needs to get on base in order to be a more valuable offensive player and he should be able to develop siginficant doubles power in Fenway. Knocking balls off the wall and taking it to RF. Think Pedroia in approach with not such a big swing. He can develop into a decent offensive SS. If he gets to a point where he is even average offensively at SS he will be a valuable resource.

I don't see his UZR/150 staying anywhere near where it is right now but if he can keep it over a + 20 I'd be very happy with his performance as a $400,000 starting SS. My understanding is that he will be in that range soon if not already ( obviously his signing bonus was years ago ).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

He is going for conditioning in the off season, to help keep him on the field and give him some more pop in his bat. If he does some damage he will start drawing more walks, which is probably key for him. He needs to get on base in order to be a more valuable offensive player and he should be able to develop siginficant doubles power in Fenway. Knocking balls off the wall and taking it to RF. Think Pedroia in approach with not such a big swing. He can develop into a decent offensive SS. If he gets to a point where he is even average offensively at SS he will be a valuable resource.

I don't see his UZR/150 staying anywhere near where it is right now but if he can keep it over a + 20 I'd be very happy with his performance as a $400,000 starting SS. My understanding is that he will be in that range soon if not already ( obviously his signing bonus was years ago ).

Cot's has him at $2.06M for 2013, then I believe he is arb eligible. Cots counts the $6M signing bonus against all 4 years, so you are right, he is actually making just about $500K in 2013. Right now, going by luxury tax dollars (Cot's numbers), Iggy is the 5th highest paid player on the team for 2013.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I don't think that he needs any weight lifting for additional power.  Different approach rather than hit for power.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lowrie is a bad fiedler. Jeter is worse.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to never1954's comment:

Most of the guys that have played SS for the RS have been at least as defensive-oriented as offensive.  OCab was definitely defense first, Renteria 2x GG, Gonzalez twice was all defense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

He needs to hit 240 at least to a be viable starter. Right now he looks like utility player.

Through his first 7 seasons, Ozzie's average was under .240.

Belanger played 18 seasons, and his career average is .228.

Vizquel was under .240 for his first three seasons.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Most of the guys that have played SS for the RS have been at least as defensive-oriented as offensive. OCab was definitely defense first, Renteria 2x GG, Gonzalez twice was all defense.

I see only 2004 & 2006 as defense over offense seasons.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lowrie is a bad fiedler. Jeter is worse.

No, Lowrie is worse. Jeter isn't going into the HOF as a bad fielding SS, and Wakefield's not getting a $750,000 offer to eat potato salad.

Whenever you divert the conversation to Wake, you are admitting defeat.

Jeter has been one of the worst fielding SSs over the last 4-6 years. The fact that you pretend to be a fan of great fielding SSs and yet defend Jete's defense is a joke.

Yes, Jete deserves to go to the HOF (on the first ballot even), but he won't be the first poor fielder to do so.

Lowrie is pretty close to Jeter in fielding skills at SS, so I wouldn't argu about placing him a small notch below Jete, but the fact is they both stink on defense. If I wanted to use the short sample sizes softy loves to use, just look at Jet's playoff defense this season... Horrific!

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, Jete deserves to go to the HOF (on the first ballot even

No man in the HOF as a career SS was anything but a career good fielding SS. Too many chances over too many years.

You'e joking, right?

Wakefield is my trump card that destroys any credibility you think you may have.

Wake is your achille's heal and you don't even know it. Your Wake-bashing obsession is not helping your position. The fact that you think trying to destroy another person's credibility somehow makes yours valid is perhaps your greatest weakness.

Jeter's near the end of his career, but he's still a better fielder than Lowrie. Better hands, footwork, agility and throwing release and throwing velocity and throwing accuracy, not to mention the HOF poise that Lowrie can't even dream of having.

He stinks in the field, but looks poised doing so: thats nice.

At least we agree that Iglesias should have been the opening day starting SS for the Red Sox, and Aviles is a bum.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Most of the guys that have played SS for the RS have been at least as defensive-oriented as offensive. OCab was definitely defense first, Renteria 2x GG, Gonzalez twice was all defense.

2012: (innings)

1108 Aviles: Although his defensive numbers look better than average this year, he has never been known as a defensive orientated SS.

194 Iggy: defense & 96 Ciriaco: defense

2011:

929 Scutaro: More offense than defense for sure.

398 Lowrie: More offense than defense.

2010:

1166 Scutaro: More offense than defense. 177 Lowrie: O over D

2009:

644 Green: One of the worst fielding SSs I have ever seen. 361 Gonzo: 2nd stint when he had slipped quite a bit in the field and actually was better on offense in 2009.    243 Lugo: played hurt- horrible fielding this year. 164 Lowrie: bad fielder.

2008:

671 Lugo: known more for offense than defense, but when healthy his range was abopve average. 386 Lowrie: bad on D. 386 Cora: Much better D than O.

2007:

1228 Lugo: known more for O than D, but was a decent fielder this year. 202 Cora.

2006: 966 Gonzo &  434 Cora: the last and only time under Henry that we truly had the SS position geared more towards defense than offense all season long.

2005: 1293 Renteria: while known as a good fielder, he was also known as a good hitter. His season with Boston was not a good defensive one at all with 30 errors and only a 4.35 RF/9.

2004: 508 Reese: perhaps our best defensive SS with 500+ innings at SS since maybe Aparicio. 491 Cabrera: very good fielder and decent hitter. 311Nomar: way more O than D and was never a good fielding SS, and got worse as the years went by. Overall, this season was better defensively than on O.

2003: 1365 Nomar: way more O than D and little D to boot.

I

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I agree. Wake is your bane moon. Sad but TRUE. The icing on the cake is Tek.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I favor Iglesias because I think he would be a lot more fun to watch.  When they do the 100 best moments of the month or whatever, it's the great defensive plays I enjoy the most. 

That said, I think Iglesias isn't an automatic choice for 2013 because, while he will help the pitching, he is almost certain to hurt the hitting, and right now the Sox lineup for 2013 is looking pretty weak. 

Ortiz and Ross haven't been re-signed yet, plus Ortiz is about to turn 37 and keeps missing lots of games.  Ells sure didn't look like Ells this year.  AGon, easily the most productive hitter on the team in 2011 and 2012, is in LA, and so is CC, who this year briefly looked like the CC the Sox signed up.  The best recent lineup for the Sox was 2004 when Manny and Big Papi were hitting up a storm, but they were supported by Mueller, a .300 hitter who sometimes batted 9th, and assorted others.  No holes in that lineup.  Pretty much the same case in 2007 when the Sox still had Manny and Papi, but Lowell led the team in rbi's with 120.  Who led the Sox in rbi's this year?  AGon, despite missing like 50 games. 

The Sox need to get one good bat--maybe two--to go with one good starter they need to get.  And Ortiz, Ross, Ells, Middlebrooks, Pedroia, Salty/Lavarnway, et al, need to hit well and stay off the DL.  If all those things happen, then playing Iglesias every day makes a lot of sense. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree. Wake is your bane moon. Sad but TRUE. The icing on the cake is Tek.

I guess if my biggest weakness is thinking Wake was a decent 6th starter and Vtek a decent back-up catcher, when compared to softy's "banes", I'm looking pretty sweet.

Sections
Shortcuts