4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: A closer Look at Iggy's 2012 MLB Season

Most of the so-called experts here look only at BA as an indicator of hitting. 

Iglesias has great plate discipline for his youth, and is adept at putting the ball in play. Many times he scorched the ball right at someone.

The balls in play will find grass and the BA and OBP will improve. I just hope the FO is smart enough to see that and not trade him away.

I have no doubt that he will be an AS caliber player in the near future.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Most of the so-called experts here look only at BA as an indicator of hitting. 

Iglesias has great plate discipline for his youth, and is adept at putting the ball in play. Many times he scorched the ball right at someone.

The balls in play will find grass and the BA and OBP will improve. I just hope the FO is smart enough to see that and not trade him away.

I have no doubt that he will be an AS caliber player in the near future.

He has a career LD% of 16.4, so I am not so sure the numbers back up your observations. However, his BAbip of just .137, so it does appear he did not have luck on his side when he did hit the ball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

From what I have seen , he will be at least a decent hitter in MLB.  Defensively , he is terrific.  My opinion is that he should get every opportunity to be our shortstop.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

From what I have seen , he will be at least a decent hitter in MLB.  Defensively , he is terrific.  My opinion is that he should get every opportunity to be our shortstop.

Come on guys, the kid hit what?  108?  He was terrible and I don't know where Ike get this plate discipline from.  Iglesias has very little plate discipline, no power, average speed and is a total offensive washout.  His fielding, spectacular as it is, cannot cover for his total ineptness at the plate and unless we put a powerful lineup unlike the one we featured  the last month next season we will have to pinch hit for him in just about every close game we have---and how does that work to have your best fielder on the bench in the late innings?  We can do better and we must.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

I believe he made strides offensively this season.  As the season progressed in Pawtucket, he got better and better, and as a 22 year old in majors from a different country, it's a bit of a transition.  He's going to be good, just be patient. 

The positive sign is that this coming season won't be pressure packed, so he will have a longer leash batting in the major league order.  Obviously they won't come out and say it, but this is a bridge year with Barnes, Bogaerts, Bradley, Webster, De La Rosa, Brentz, Britton and Workman all slated for late 2013 to start of 2014 arrivals.  Middlebrooks, Iglesias, Lavarnway and Kalish have all just got to the majors.  The future looks promising, plus the #7 draft pick this year and the 7th pick in all subsequent rounds help really load up the farm.  That's how they've wanted to build the team for years, and they basically gave up doing that after 2007 when Ellsbury and Pedroia arrived.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Come on guys, the kid hit what?  108?  He was terrible and I don't know where Ike get this plate discipline from.  Iglesias has very little plate discipline, no power, average speed and is a total offensive washout.  His fielding, spectacular as it is, cannot cover for his total ineptness at the plate and unless we put a powerful lineup unlike the one we featured  the last month next season we will have to pinch hit for him in just about every close game we have---and how does that work to have your best fielder on the bench in the late innings?  We can do better and we must.

First of all, I seriously dount he will hit .108 his whole career or even .180 for that matter. Let's assume he can hit .200-.225. If the projections on defense can be sustained over a full season, and Iggy can save 65-70 runs on defense, that would indeed cove the "ineptness" pretty much.

As to pinch hitting for him late in games, if we have a nice fielding utility player (Ciriaco?), then PH'ing for Iggy should not be a big deal. We'd be getting 7-9 innings of stellar defense before he would be replaced by above average fiedling for 0-2 innings.

I am not saying Iggy can save 70 runs on defense vs the average SS, but if he can, I can stomach some pretty poor hitting for a while, especially since 2013 will not be a rong-contending year. Maybe a full season in MLB can allow Iggy a chance to see if he can get up to .240 to .250. That extra .025 would be the gravy.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hey Moon,

Is there a place where I can find a "Pitches per at bat" stat for every player? Im curious to see what Iggys were. I noticed he was taking more pitches then he did in the past. I also noticed he put the bat on the ball a bit more as well, but came up short.

I think he can hit MLB pitching. He should have his chance to prove himself in 2013. He would be my starting SS. Give him a year to see if he improves. They rushed him up through the system and at a very young age had to constantly adjust to much more advanced pitching. I think he can maintain a .230-.240AVG with an OBP above .300...Ill take that with his unbelievable Defense...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I think he is our starting SS next Spring. And his offense will be better than expected. He is fundementally sound. Over time he will be an all star level guy potentially IMO. I bet he even approaches .300 a few times. He has a short stroke and he has great intangibles. I think he is a winner long term. This guy is going to keep getting better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ive got that feeling too Boom...Hes a smart ballplayer, but still very young and some need to realize this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

he will save 60 runs a season on D and squander 60 runs at bat.....but i do enjoy watching a sweet fielding shortstop.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Well geo let me ask you this:  If the Sox offense blows and the team flounders do we blame the #9 hitter or the 1-6 guys? His offense is insignificant. The 2007 Red Sox would have still won the WS with Iggy hitting .209 at short-stop.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Is there a place where I can find a "Pitches per at bat" stat for every player? Im curious to see what Iggys were. 

ESPN   2012 P / PA

Lowrie  4.0

Jeter  3.7

Aviles 3.61

JI  3.48 

Aybar   3.28

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Good points everyone.  I think its important to note that his batting average in AAA went from .230 in 2011 to .260 in 2012.  He struggled at the major league level, but made significant improvement at the AAA level.  As noted, these improvements were made in plate discipline and pitch recognition.

Here's to hoping that he works his butt off this offseason and continues to improve offensively.   There is no arguement against his glove being ready.

Sections
Shortcuts