A closer Look at Iggy's 2012 MLB Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: A closer Look at Iggy's 2012 MLB Season

Heres a good article on Iggy. Just give the kid time to adjust and he should be fine like he has at every level hes played at. IMO, Iggy can be a .250 hitter with a .320 OBP...Hes never going to be a slugger, but a solid gap hitter is realistic.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/19361/soxprospects-iglesias-coming-on-strong

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good read.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Key2Delock. Show Key2Delock's posts

Jose Iglesias will be 23 when the 2013 season starts, and you have to assume that based solely on his defensive skills, he's projected to be the starter at short.  The pressure will be on him to be hitting close enough to .200 (if not higher) and showing signs of hitting improvement during the first couple of months of the 2013 season, or Pedro Ciriaco will be handed the shortstop job.

Now, if Jed Lowrie, Marco Scutaro and Mike Aviles all get off to good starts in 2013 and Iglesias struggles to hit any better than he did during his time with the Red Sox in 2012, then things could get ugly at Fenway and on this Message Board, and . . .  will Iglesias be headed back to the minors?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think they will stick with him at least until the ASB...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ciriaco is not a guaranteed offensive upgrade at SS. His lifetime minor league OBP was .299 in a very large sample size.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Again moon, like in Salty's case we should only carry Iggy's bat if there is enough offense around him.  He and Salty need to improve offensively in my opinion to get into, or stay in our lineup as starters.  We need to improve our OBP as a whole not make it worse.

1) We aren't making the playoffs even if Iggy and Salty bat .350.

2) Salty is a better offensive catcher than the average MLb catcher, so he is a plus on offense, not a negative.

3) Yes, we need to and can improve our offense at other positions: LF, RF, and 3B (healthier Middlebrooks).

[/QUOTE]

moon, I'm curious as to why you feel we won't make the playoffs?  Our FO will surely make some moves with all the salary they dumped.  I also don't consider anybody with an OBP under 300 a major league starter.  Low team OBP is our biggest weakness offensively so to say we need to improve other positions to carry guys like Salty and Iggy confuses me.  We should look to improve any position that contributes to the problem.

I respectively disagree with you and the fact this team won't make the playoffs.  You and I also know Iggy and Salty will never bust a 350 BA.  Saying Salty is an assett because he hits some HRS, but SO every three AB, while holding a 222 BA and .288 OBP for the last two years?

Come on? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Again moon, like in Salty's case we should only carry Iggy's bat if there is enough offense around him.  He and Salty need to improve offensively in my opinion to get into, or stay in our lineup as starters.  We need to improve our OBP as a whole not make it worse. 

2) Salty is a better offensive catcher than the average MLb catcher, so he is a plus on offense, not a negative.

3) Yes, we need to and can improve our offense at other positions: LF, RF, and 3B (healthier Middlebrooks).

[/QUOTE]

moon, I'm curious as to why you feel we won't make the playoffs?  Our FO will surely make some moves with all the salary they dumped.  I also don't consider anybody with an OBP under 300 a major league starter.  Low team OBP is our biggest weakness offensively so to say we need to improve other positions to carry guys like Salty and Iggy confuses me.  We should look to improve any position that contribute to the problem.

I respectively disagree with you and the fact this team can't make the playoffs.  You and I also know Iggy and Salty will never bust a 350 BA.  Saying Salty is an assett because he hits some HRS, but SO every three AB, while holding a 222 BA and .288 OBP for the last two years?  Having a SLG percentage that makes your OPS look decent when the same player is horrible in all other offensive categories doesn't make Salty an assett, just part of our problem. 

Couple these issues with the fact we had some of the worst pitching stats in years doesn't tell me blocking a few more balls is a huge plus either.  He was also part of our pitching problems don't you agree?

Come on? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

moon, I'm curious as to why you feel we won't make the playoffs?  Our FO will surely make some moves with all the salary they dumped.  I also don't consider anybody with an OBP under 300 a major league starter.  Low team OBP is our biggest weakness offensively so to say we need to improve other positions to carry guys like Salty and Iggy confuses me, they need to earn a starting job not be handed one.  We should look to improve any position that contributes to the problem.

I respectively disagree with you and the fact this team can't make the playoffs.  You and I also know Iggy and Salty will never bust a 350 BA.  Calling Salty an asset because he hits some HRS, but SO every three AB, while holding a 222 BA and .288 OBP for the last two years just isn't true.  Having a SLG percentage that makes your OPS look decent when the same player is horrible in all other offensive categories doesn't make Salty an asset, just part of our problem. 

Couple these issues with the fact we had some of the worst era's/team record in years doesn't tell me blocking a few more balls is a huge plus either.  He was also part of our pitching problems don't you agree?

Come on?  How has Salty really been an asset other than in the clubhouse?  Tek was better when he retired as our back up catcher.  I do hope Salty can improve and he is an easy guy to like but I'm just being honest, he's not a difference maker in the win/loss column.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

Iggy's offense has been discussed at great length on this site. He certainly struggled this year in a small sample size (77 PA & .118 BA/.200 OBP), but on defense, he was even better than advertised.

Among the 59 MLB players with over 190 innings at SS, Iggy placed first in UZR/150. (Warning: UZR/150 is a metric that is supposed to be viewed in 2-3 season sample sizes, so 193 innings is a tiny sample size.)

UZR/150

1) Iggy        49.8

2) Simmons     31.6  (ATL)

3) Espinosa      24.8  (WASH)

4) Kozma         18.6  (STL)

5) Ryan            17.1

6) Barnes         15.3

7) Peralta         11.7 (DET)

8) Ransom        11.3

9) Hardy           10.1 (BAL)

10) Pennington 10.1 (OAK)

11) Crawford     9.7  (SFG)

13) Andrus         9.1 (TEX)

14) Cozart         9.0 (CIN)

15) Janish          6.9 (ATL)

16) Desmond     6.5 (WASH)

18) Aviles          6.3

28) Scutaro        1.3

30) Lowrie        -0.2

52) Jeter -16.4 (NYY)

Notice all the playoff teams with top fielding SSs.

Only the Yanks and STL have a team UZR/150 at SS below average. The other 8 ate top 15. (Overall the Sox ranked 3rd at +12.1)

Baseball Reference has Iggys worth 9 runs on defense in just 23 games (about 21.5 for 9 innings games). Pro-rated, that would amount to about 62-68 runs over a full season!

[/QUOTE]

Iggy is a keeper, just not ready for the majors and why compare him to big leaguers until he prooves himself at the big league level?  I personally think he could eventually hit 250/260 or more with an OBP around 330 if he utilizes his speed and improves the plate discipline. 

I don't believe throwing him at SS will win us many more games unless he does help offensively.  Ciriaco was about as good in the field last season and deserves first shot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

Iggy's offense has been discussed at great length on this site. He certainly struggled this year in a small sample size (77 PA & .118 BA/.200 OBP), but on defense, he was even better than advertised.

Among the 59 MLB players with over 190 innings at SS, Iggy placed first in UZR/150. (Warning: UZR/150 is a metric that is supposed to be viewed in 2-3 season sample sizes, so 193 innings is a tiny sample size.)

UZR/150

1) Iggy        49.8

5) Ryan            17.1

6) Barnes         15.3

8) Ransom        11.3

18) Aviles          6.3

28) Scutaro        1.3

30) Lowrie        -0.2

52) Jeter -16.4 (NYY)

Only the Yanks and STL have a team UZR/150 at SS below average. The other 8 ate top 15. (Overall the Sox ranked 3rd at +12.1)

Baseball Reference has Iggys worth 9 runs on defense in just 23 games (about 21.5 for 9 innings games). Pro-rated, that would amount to about 62-68 runs over a full season!

[/QUOTE]

I am once again impressed with the importance of good defense.  A couple of good plays turned possible disasters for the Tigers into great pitching outings and sunl the yanquis.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

UZR/150

1) Iggy        49.8

5) Ryan            17.1

6) Barnes         15.3

8) Ransom        11.3

18) Aviles          6.3

28) Scutaro        1.3

30) Lowrie        -0.2

52) Jeter -16.4 (NYY)

[/QUOTE]

Iggy is a keeper, just not ready for the majors and why compare him to big leaguers until he prooves himself at the big league level?  I personally think he could eventually hit 250/260 or more with an OBP around 330 if he utilizes his speed and improves the plate discipline. 

I don't believe throwing him at SS will win us many more games unless he does help offensively.  Ciriaco was about as good in the field last season and deserves first shot.

[/QUOTE]

Unlike the other board I post on there seems to be a plethora of Iglesiasphiles on this one, and many of you are annointing him the SS job next season.  If we don't upgrade our offense and get a hitter for first base, left field and improve at catcher, CF and 3B, it will be very hard to carry such a weak and miserable hitter as Iglesias.  He is absolutely a fantastic fielder but you cannot carry such a weak bat in a lineup that may have three or four other holes in it.  I expect Middlebrooks to be a stalwart there for many years (and let's not hear any more nonsense about trading this guy), and if they resign Ross we will be ok in one of the outfield spots, but forget it if Pedroia, Ellsbury, and the rest of the crew do not hit up to expectations.

From what we did this season it is easy to assume that we aren't going anywhere next season, and I won't argue the point but rather point out that Baltimore played over their heads this season, the Rays, Yankees and Jays showed some real shaky parts to their overall game, and if we can do a big upgrade on our pitching, we could make a comeback.  I remember the Mets of 1968....ninth place in a ten team league.  1969, World Series Champions.  How about the Dodgers of 1958?  Seventh place.  1959..World Series Champions.  The Orioles of 1965, bottom feeders; 1966 World Series Champions.  You just never know in this game.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

UZR/150

1) Iggy        49.8

5) Ryan            17.1

6) Barnes         15.3

8) Ransom        11.3

18) Aviles          6.3

28) Scutaro        1.3

30) Lowrie        -0.2

52) Jeter -16.4 (NYY)

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Unlike the other board I post on there seems to be a plethora of Iglesiasphiles on this one, and many of you are annointing him the SS job next season.  If we don't upgrade our offense and get a hitter for first base, left field and improve at catcher, CF and 3B, it will be very hard to carry such a weak and miserable hitter as Iglesias.  He is absolutely a fantastic fielder but you cannot carry such a weak bat in a lineup that may have three or four other holes in it.  I expect Middlebrooks to be a stalwart there for many years (and let's not hear any more nonsense about trading this guy), and if they resign Ross we will be ok in one of the outfield spots, but forget it if Pedroia, Ellsbury, and the rest of the crew do not hit up to expectations.

From what we did this season it is easy to assume that we aren't going anywhere next season, and I won't argue the point but rather point out that Baltimore played over their heads this season, the Rays, Yankees and Jays showed some real shaky parts to their overall game, and if we can do a big upgrade on our pitching, we could make a comeback.  I remember the Mets of 1968....ninth place in a ten team league.  1969, World Series Champions.  How about the Dodgers of 1958?  Seventh place.  1959..World Series Champions.  The Orioles of 1965, bottom feeders; 1966 World Series Champions.  You just never know in this game.

[/QUOTE]

I agree fred, our lineup has too many holes offensively to give Iggy a shot in the starting lineup unless he has a huge ST.  Even then, Ciriaco held his own, made things happen on base and got some clutch hits while playing well enough at SS.

#1 Salty already leaves us in a position to carry more offense in order to keep him in our lineup.  Hopefully Lav can help

#2 We no longer have AGon, or anyone close to his production.

#3 Our OF is a complete mess.  Hopefully we can bring Ross or another capable bat back who can at least hit LHP well, then find his equal against RHP to help out a bit.  CF is a huge question mark, are we trading Ells to possibly land Upton or Hamilton?  Who know but "if not" will we see the 2011 Ells or 2012?  LF is just another black hole

We have a long way to go before placing another weak hitter in the lineup. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moon, I'm curious as to why you feel we won't make the playoffs?  Our FO will surely make some moves with all the salary they dumped. 

1) I happen to think that management will not go on a spending spree this winter, but rather will begin rebuilding slowly and thoughtfully. If I am wrong, and they go all out this winter, then I am OK with keeping some of the players I have recently suggested trading with an eye towards 2014 and beyond.

2) After the big trade, we stunk and still stink on paper- in terms of projected production for 2013 alone. Until I see what we do, I'm thinking we will not be seriously positioned to even make the playoffs in 2013, let alone win it all.

I also don't consider anybody with an OBP under 300 a major league starter. 

1) Slg%, fielding and other skills are also important and can outweigh a weakness in the OBP area.

2) 143 players had enough PAs to be qualified for the batting title this year, and only 20 had an OBP of 300 or lower, including Aviles at #142 (.282).  Of course, it makes sense to try and not have any players below .300 in our line-up, but having one or two does not mean that the player in question has an overall negative impact on the team.

3) Out of the 270 top PA players in MLB this year (30 teams x 9 starters=270 players) -had 300+ PAs- 50 had an OBP below .300. That's an average of about 2 starters per team. Our two were Salty and Aviles, and it looks like Salty and Iggy may be our 2 for 2013. I'm not happy about having 2 guys under .300, but I think overall Salty is and will be a plus as compared to the average MLB catcher.

4) While OPS is not a perfect stat, it is a better indicator than OBP alone:

Salty's .742 OPS is better than 21 MLB teams' OPS. Salty is not an offensive weakness by any stretch of the imagination. He was our 4th best OPS guy on the road-one of our biggest weaknesses on offense.

Low team OBP is our biggest weakness offensively so to say we need to improve other positions to carry guys like Salty and Iggy confuses me, they need to earn a starting job not be handed one.  We should look to improve any position that contributes to the problem.

Salty has earned the starting job by his plus offense and his much improved defense. He is at an age where further improvement is expected and is "the norm". Iggy has not earned the starting job and is likely going to have Ciriaco and maybe someone else making him win the job. He laos has Bogaerts breathing down his neck.

Since I don't see us winning a ring in 2013, I don't see how Iggy being our starting SS hurts anything. We may disagree on our chances, but I do think this plays a role in my position on giving Iggy a shot to show how much defense can outweigh offense- or not.

I respectively disagree with you and the fact this team can't make the playoffs.  You and I also know Iggy and Salty will never bust a 350 BA.  Calling Salty an asset because he hits some HRS, but SO every three AB, while holding a 222 BA and .288 OBP for the last two years just isn't true.  Having a SLG percentage that makes your OPS look decent when the same player is horrible in all other offensive categories doesn't make Salty an asset, just part of our problem. 

1) I actually think OBP is almost twice as important as Slg%, but that still has a ton of value. I am not a big watcher of K% and do not think a K is that much worse than another type of out.

2) You do know that more than one third of all MLB teams had a catching OBP of under .300, right? Half were under .307 this year. Salty's low catcher OBP is jst not that far from the mean or major league average of .319.  (AL is .312) Salty was .024 below the AL catcher OBP.

3) Salty's .454 SLG% blows away the league average .395. Salty was .059 ahead of the AL catcher Slg%. So, if you count OBP as 2X important as SLG, then Salty still comes out a plus. Salty also had one of the best "late & close" OP.S on the team.

(See the salty thread for more in depth numbers.)

Couple these issues with the fact we had some of the worst era's/team record in years doesn't tell me blocking a few more balls is a huge plus either.  He was also part of our pitching problems don't you agree?

No. I believed that last year, but showed on another thread that Salty's CERA improved after mid April of 2013 even as our staff got worse on paper. Salty is improving on defense and with the staff.

Come on?  How has Salty really been an asset other than in the clubhouse? 

I never argue about clubhouse pluses or negatives.

Tek was better when he retired as our back up catcher.  I do hope Salty can improve and he is an easy guy to like but I'm just being honest, he's not a difference maker in the win/loss column.

Salty is improving by leaps and bounds. I was all for trading salty last winter. I watched every game very closely this year in terms of catcher defense, pitcher handling, and other intangibles. The numbers back up my observations, so I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

Yes, there are better ctahcers than Salty, but in terms of improving this team, our catching position is not even close to our biggest weakness. I'm for addressing our biggest weaknesses first.

BTW,  I have mentioned trading Salty this winter while his "stock is high" and because Salty will be a FA after 2013, assuming he is not extended. I just don't see us concentrating a lot of resources on improving the catcher position when we have Lava and Swihart in the wings, and we have so many other glaring weaknesses.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

#1 Salty already leaves us in a position to carry more offense in order to keep him in our lineup.  Hopefully Lav can help

Look at the state of MLb catching offense before you assume Salty is a weakness:

1/2 the AL teams had a catcher BA below .227.

5 of the 14 teams were below .219.

6 of 14 teams had a catcher OBP of below .302.   4 under .289.

Only 1 team AL team had a catcher SLG% higher than Salty's .454 SLG%.

13 were worse. 

If you do not look at any catcher's numbers out of this context, then you are living a pipedream.

As compared to other MLB catchers, Salty is a plus on offense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Look at the state of MLb catching offense before you assume Salty is a weakness:

1/2 the AL teams had a catcher BA below .227.

5 of the 14 teams were below .219.

6 of 14 teams had a catcher OBP of below .320. 4 under .289.

Only 1 team AL team had a catcher SLG% higher than Salty's .454 SLG%.

13 were worse. 

If you do not look at any catcher's numbers out of this context, then you are living a pipedream.

As compared to other MLB catchers, Salty is a plus on offense.

[/QUOTE]

It still amazes me that people cant see this. A truly great catcher is the hardest thing to find. Y. Molina, B. Posey, B. McCann, and maybe include M. Wieters to that list of current solid, above average-great defensive and offensive catchers today in Baseball. Most are not good offensively or just average.

We have a hard working catcher in Salty that, by the numbers and the intangibles, has greatly improved his defense. Now I agree the OBP needs to come up a little, but when a catcher works as hard as salty has on his defense, and play the most games behind the plate he has in his career, the offense will usually suffer a bit.

Now that the defense is trending upward and hes adjusting to playing so many games behind the plate, I believe the offense will improve as well. 2013 will be a crossroads for Salty. Hes either going to plateau, or as I believe, just get better. If he does get better, we could have a solid player both offensively and defensively behind the plate for the next few years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No one will deny that his defense will save runs. But the difference is all those SS can hit. Hopefully Jose will learn to also.

[/QUOTE]

You do realize that 14 teams had a SS BA of .250 or lower, right?

10 under .240.

4 under .228.

Oakland .213.

Seattle .195.

5 of the bottom 10 teams in SS BA made the playoffs this year:

Oak, Atl, Cincy, Bal, and Detroit

[/QUOTE]

While all RS fans want to see Iglesias become the answer at SS. I don't care if he's the greatest fielding SS ever, remember even the not so good SS's make the plays over 90% of the time. Eduardo Nunez of Yanks while a good hitter and seen as a terrible fielder has a lifetime 926 fielding %. But Iggy is going to have to do a lot better than that .118 BA and at least some gap type power to keep his name in lineup. I really believe the kid will show enough at plate to become starting SS. But hasn't shown enough to date. ST will be a big opportunity for Iggy, lets hope he's up to the task.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While all RS fans want to see Iglesias become the answer at SS. I don't care if he's the greatest fielding SS ever, remember even the not so good SS's make the plays over 90% of the time. Eduardo Nunez of Yanks while a good hitter and seen as a terrible fielder has a lifetime 926 fielding %. But Iggy is going to have to do a lot better than that .118 BA and at least some gap type power to keep his name in lineup. I really believe the kid will show enough at plate to become starting SS. But hasn't shown enough to date. ST will be a big opportunity for Iggy, lets hope he's up to the task.

Making routine plays 93% of the times does not make a decent or capable SS. The great SS's are the ones who make plays over and over that others only dream about. I think Iggy is that type of fielder, but understand that no matter how well he fields, he'll have to do better than .118. 

The arguments seems to be about how much his fielding can outweigh his poor hitting. Does it outweigh .240? .220? .200? Some here seem to think he needs to hit .270 just to be considered.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Like it or not, it appears Iggy will get a closer and perhaps longer look in 2013.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We'll have paid Iggy over $8M by the time 2013 is over.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Making routine plays 93% of the times does not make a decent or capable SS. The great SS's are the ones who make plays over and over that others only dream about. I think Iggy is that type of fielder, but understand that no matter how well he fields, he'll have to do better than .118. 

The arguments seems to be about how much his fielding can outweigh his poor hitting. Does it outweigh .240? .220? .200? Some here seem to think he needs to hit .270 just to be considered.

[/QUOTE]

a .270 AVG is only about 6 hits shy a month of being a .300 hitter...

I think Iggy could be a .240ish hitter and a .320 OBP...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

a .270 AVG is only about 6 hits shy a month of being a .300 hitter...

I think Iggy could be a .240ish hitter and a .320 OBP...

[/QUOTE]

To me, if Iggy hits .200 to .220 his fielding makes it a push. If he can get over about .220 he would be in net gain territory.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

iggy is a travesty at the plate. it took him quite awhile before he got used to AAA pitching (he did have some injury issues so i will cut him some slack). do we really have time to slot him into the lineup to hit like garbage until he learns to hit MLB pitchers? but i guess it all comes back to the issue of contention. if the FO doesnt make an effort to put a decent team on the field and we are writing 2013 off then i guess it doesn't matter. but if we make good moves that puts us into a position to win i don't see how you can put this kid into the lineup day in and day out to hit less than .200

maybe something will click in the offseason or he will work with a hitting instructor and come into ST with an offense that would warrant a look at the starting job but its unlikely. ciriaco seems to be the guy in 2013 (for now)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

If we're talking Iggy for our starting SS next year, we're in for a very long & painful season!

Slow the kid's development down.  Give him another FULL YEAR in Pawtucket to find some semblance of an offensive game!  Get the kid the best hitting coaches money can buy, & let him find a bat.  If he finds one, perhaps we give him a shot in the bigs a year or two from now????  Most likely we up his trade value, & package him for a big time pitcher???  I don't see the kid ever hitting well enough to make it here in Boston!!!!  Boston is the worst market for a big time SS with no bat!  It will be ugly!!!  Thankfully, I think mgmt is wise to this problem.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

p.s.  Please save the Saber Metrics!  As good as they might be, they don't mean squat for a SS playing for Boston!  It would absolutely ruin any shot this kid might have in the bigs!

Sections
Shortcuts