A comparison of the 1978 and 2011 Red Sox offensively

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

A comparison of the 1978 and 2011 Red Sox offensively

Burrito said that this would be an interesting comparison. So I'm giving it a shot even though I'm not really a stats guy.
    1978 Boston Red Sox

Position Name                BA      OBP      SLG      OPS
    C          Carlton Fisk       .284   .366      .475      .841
    1B        George Scott      .233   .305      .379     .684
    2B        Jerry Remy        .278   .371      .350      .721
    SS        Rick Burleson     .248   .295      .395      .690
    3B        Butch Hobson    .250    .312      .408      .720
    LF        Jim Rice             .315    .370     .600      .970
    CF        Fred Lynn          .298    .380      .492     .872
    RF        Dwight Evans     .247    .336     .449      .785
    DH       Yastrzemski       .277    .367       .423     .790
    Team                            .267     .336     .424     .760

2011 Boston Red Sox
    C        Saltalamacchia     .252   .313      .437      .750
    1B      A Gonzalez           .341   .392      .584      .876
    2B      D Pedroia             .262   .368      .379      .747
    SS      Jed Lowrie           .276    .325      .411      .736
    3B      K Youkillis            .264   .391      .486      .877
    LF      Carl Crawford       .246    .279     .393      .672
    CF     J Ellsbury              .318    .376      .477     .853
    RF      JD Drew               .227   .330      .337     .667
    DH    David Ortiz           .325    .395      .624     1.019
    Team                            .274    .347      .443     .790

So it looks like the two teams are pretty comparable with a slight advantage going to this year's club. However, when you consider that Pedroia, Youkillis and Crawford are nowhere near their career norms, I think you have to give the clear advantage to this year's team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: A comparison of the 1978 and 2011 Red Sox offensively

I can't believe no one wants to talk about this. Oh well...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Carnie: I don't really get into comparing players by number, position by position. I'm sure others might.

To me, it's a team game. And I don't limit value through the context of an individual. Let's just say the '78 team was more power orientated but also more station-to-station. It's hard to quantify what the element of a speed tandem like CRAWBURY brings to the table.

Some short-sighted posters will look try to divide them and segregate the numbers, but it doesn't work that way. The game, fortunately, contains intangibles that don't fit into a category the way Pike lumps posters together.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: A comparison of the 1978 and 2011 Red Sox offensively:
    [QUOTE]Carnie : I don't really get into comparing players by number, position by position. I'm sure others might. To me, it's a team game. And I don't limit value through the context of an individual. Let's just say the '78 team was more power orientated but also more station-to-station. It's hard to quantify what the element of a speed tandem like CRAWBURY brings to the table. Some short-sighted posters will look try to divide them and segregate the numbers, but it doesn't work that way. The game, fortunately, contains intangibles that don't fit into a category the way Pike lumps posters together.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]I agree with you. One thing I really love about this team is the speed. That's one place where they really separate themselves from the great Red Sox teams of the past. Historically the Red Sox have been a station to station club, and we have really separated ourselves from that philosophy now. Granted Gonzo is an RBI machine and Big Papi is hitting like I never thought I would see him do again, but when you add in the speed element, we may be looking at an offensive machine the likes of which we have never seen out of a Red Sox club, and maybe that is the point of my post. I brought up 1978 because that was the best offensive Red Sox team I can remember until now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The key IMO will be in the dog days. That's when the games will get closer. Players feel the fatigue. Depth is scrutinized. And that is when the speed will have a major impact - in the close one-run games. If the BP depth doesn't come apart, and health holds with the SR and the regulars, the multi-dimensional offense will be what separates us form others.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I wish I could see a live game this season at Fenway... I know the 1978 team was absolute excitement from first-hand experience.  Thanks carnie...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

You're welcome Burrito. It must be hard to see the Sox in Thailand. I bet the garlic prawns on the beach makes up for it though. If you and harness could bury the hatchet it would be good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Nearly every game on ESPN is a Yankee game. This means I get to see all the Sox/Yankee head to heads... but I cannot get away from New York otherwise...

I think ESPN cut a deal with New York because even the Red Sox/Cubs Sunday Night ESPN game was not shown in Asia.. only the Yankee game.  If the Yanks do not play than they show the Dodgers normally.

Other than that it is Football, football, and Football - Aussie style! Boring.

The Seafood is cheap and good to eat - though I do worry about the quality as the SE Asian's are not known for their environmental standards.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

A biker pal of mine goes to Thailand every year. He likes the garlic prawns even more than the girls.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its a fun comparison Carnie.. I think this team is much more versitile than the 78' team..Burrito; didnt know you were in Thiland..Are you from there?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The 1977 and 1979 teams actually had better offensive numbers than the 1978 team, but inferior pitching.  The 1977 team had an OPS of .810.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Hi southpaw777 nay as I am from Maine.  I have been living in Asia for the better part of 4 years...  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Actually if you just go by names and ability the 1977 starting staff should have been the best ever. Fergie Jenkins, Bill Lee, Louis Tiant, .... I believe if the internet had existed then we would be debating Reggie Cleveland, Don Zimmer, and the decline of Rico Petrocelli.  

That would make a good thread: What would be the hot topics of 1977 or 1978 if the Internet existed then.... with today's posters in mind.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Actually if you just go by names and ability the 1977 starting staff should have been the best ever. Fergie Jenkins, Bill Lee, Louis Tiant, .... I believe if the internet had existed then we would be debating Reggie Cleveland, Don Zimmer, and the decline of Rico Petrocelli.   That would make a good thread: What would be the hot topics of 1977 or 1978 if the Internet existed then.... with today's posters in mind.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Id be interested in seeing that..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It could be plain Jane or comedic...  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Probably a bit of both I would think, burrito, with some of the characters on this board..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Eck was 20-12 in '78 Mike Torrez won 16, Stanley led the league in winning percentage with a stellar 15-2 record and Tiant was 13-8.  In reality I think the 78' staff definately outperformed the '77 staff.  Bill Campbell got overused by Zim in '77 and he was really never the same after that.  He saved 31 but Zim sometimes brought him in as early as the 6th!  It was the Radatz treatment and God knows how good Dick Radatz might have been over a much longer period of time had the sox teams of the mid 60's had any sort of pitching.  Radatz' arm was absolutely ruined by Pinky Higgins.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

burrito -- Rico was gone by 1977. He was phased out during the 1976 season and replaced by Hobson.

I would have loved to have seen this message board if it existed during the 1977 and 1978 seasons, especially '78 after the Carbo trade and Zimmer started screwin' with Lee.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I can see one thread saying:  We need to bring Carbo back!

Then another later on:  Why in the hell did we trade Cecil Cooper for Carbo..

Oh the threads that could have been....

• Bob Bailey?  Are you kidding me!
    • Who in the heck is Stan Papi?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It would be a lot different conversations though..There wouldnt be any "This guy is being paid 14 mil a year for what!!" type posts..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

That is a very good point, heck that would eliminate 50% of the negative posts/threads.  Also rather than talking about steroids we would be asking "was he drunk when he took the mound?" or "please tell me he wasn't high out there (again)."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]I can see one thread saying:  We need to bring Carbo back! Then another later on:  Why in the hell did we trade Cecil Cooper for Carbo.. Oh the threads that could have been.... Bob Bailey?  Are you kidding me! Who in the heck is Stan Papi?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
      To get George Scott back.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yeah that was useful, one good year of Scott who ended up going to the Yankees in the end... Cecil Cooper was a huge loss to the Red Sox... I still cry.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I shudder to think what this forum would have been like during the collapse of 1978.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Burrito...get MLBTV. It's how I watch most of the Sox games. It's only $100 for an entire year, and you could also watch all other games/teams. It'd be a lot less than that now because the season is 1/3 over.