A day that will live in infamy

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: A day that will live in infamy

There's no need to bury it and move on.  It's an important part of Red Sox history.

It's also another reminder how grateful we should be for John Henry.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The real day of infamy is Aug. 6, 2008.

Tongue Out

[/QUOTE]

I'll bite. I give up. I'm not sure which event you are referring to.

[/QUOTE]

Shocked you don't know this!!  That's the big day that the Sox beat the Royals 8-2!!!!!!!!!  Huge implications on the future of this franchise!!!!

(It's all I can find on Google pertaining to Sox......no idea what he's talking about....)

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Ruth's behavior reminds me of another Red Sox slugger, Manny Ramirez. Manny took three strikes looking in a PH role, complained of an injured knee, but couldn't say if it was his left or right, and assaulted the travelling secretary over tickets. Upon his trade to the Dodgers, Manny was suddenly better than he ever was, batting .396 with 17 HR in just 53 games. Like Ruth, there was no place for him in baseball after his talents eroded. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to youkillus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interesting, Frazee's recipe for success, may have been borrowed by Cherington; A team of players working harmoniously together is always to be preferred to that possessing one star who hugs the limelight to himself . . .

enter Jonny Gomes and Shane Victorino, exit Carl Crawford, and A-Gon, stage left.

[/QUOTE]

Except Frazee dismantled a great team; other players going from Bos to the NYY at this time included Dugan, Hoyt, Pennock, and Mays. This was largely due to GM Edward Barrow, who also moved from Boston. All but Dugan and Mays, who were pretty good players themselves, are HOFers, including Barrow

The relatively inexperienced Cherington reconfigured a team which resulted in a historical swing from a 48 yr low to a Title in back-to-back seasons. That's a big difference.

[/QUOTE]

Also, the Sox sent Sad Sam Jones and Bullet Joe Bush to NY.  While not HOF material, both were very, very good itchers.

Also, Carl Mays should be in the Hall.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Interesting, Frazee's recipe for success, may have been borrowed by Cherington; A team of players working harmoniously together is always to be preferred to that possessing one star who hugs the limelight to himself . . .

enter Jonny Gomes and Shane Victorino, exit Carl Crawford, and A-Gon, stage left.

[/QUOTE]

Except Frazee dismantled a great team; other players going from Bos to the NYY at this time included Dugan, Hoyt, Pennock, and Mays. This was largely due to GM Edward Barrow, who also moved from Boston. All but Dugan and Mays, who were pretty good players themselves, are HOFers, including Barrow

The relatively inexperienced Cherington reconfigured a team which resulted in a historical swing from a 48 yr low to a Title in back-to-back seasons. That's a big difference.

[/QUOTE]

Also, the Sox sent Sad Sam Jones and Bullet Joe Bush to NY.  While not HOF material, both were very, very good itchers.

Also, Carl Mays should be in the Hall.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, and thanks. You are always very informed. And I had to a double check to confirm Mays was NOT in the HOF. Big omission. 

As far as unsung players are concerned, I thought that way of the recently passed Jerry Coleman; instrumental in the NYY success, and a war hero. Also, Petco has 2 statues outside of Petco, him and Tony Gwynn, who hit 394 in the most recent strike yr.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

Ruth's behavior reminds me of another Red Sox slugger, Manny Ramirez. Manny took three strikes looking in a PH role, complained of an injured knee, but couldn't say if it was his left or right, and assaulted the travelling secretary over tickets. Upon his trade to the Dodgers, Manny was suddenly better than he ever was, batting .396 with 17 HR in just 53 games. Like Ruth, there was no place for him in baseball after his talents eroded. 

[/QUOTE]

do you have any idea what Manny's #'s were the first half of 2008???  you are judging this based on one AB in a PH role?  you asked Manny about his knee? or going on what the Red Sox FO tells you or what the globe writers tell you?

the Manny bashing on this forum is old and tired.  the dude was a rock star in Boston and was an integral part of 2 WS championships.  one of which was 2004 and there never has been nor ever will be another championship as gratifying as that one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Tongue Out

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry in being late in coming back to this thread.

Aug. 6, 2008 was the date of bill's first post on this board.

I posted right below his post, so I though someone my notice.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]The MAN-RAM was a despicable,juicer,fraud,quitter,womanizer,crap-bum who outside of hitting a baseball, was a despicable/all of the above lousey teammate !!!

[/QUOTE]

But he was a heck of a hitter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

If you put out a call for choir boys, Manny probably wont show up, but if you needed a right handed power hitter, you may not find one in the choir.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to billge's comment:

If you put out a call for choir boys, Manny probably wont show up, but if you needed a right handed power hitter, you may not find one in the choir.

IMO, Perhaps the best post you ever made, or at least the ones I've read.

There were plenty of great  ballplayers with abhorrent personalities - Cobb, J. Dimaggio, Bonds, Clemens, ARod, and so on

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

do you have any idea what Manny's #'s were the first half of 2008???  you are judging this based on one AB in a PH role?  you asked Manny about his knee? or going on what the Red Sox FO tells you or what the globe writers tell you?

the Manny bashing on this forum is old and tired.  the dude was a rock star in Boston and was an integral part of 2 WS championships.  one of which was 2004 and there never has been nor ever will be another championship as gratifying as that one.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm going by what I read. It's plausible, and believable, not everything the Globe prints is a lie. By displaying your avatars of choice, The Globe's public forum is showing you to be a Mysogynist, and I believe that too.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes, I'm going by what I read. It's plausible, and believable, not everything the Globe prints is a lie. By displaying your avatars of choice, The Globe's public forum is showing you to be a Mysogynist, and I believe that too.

[/QUOTE]

since you like to read...try this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=manny

apologies you will have to copy and paste it to your browser as i have not figured out how to post clickable links (probably because i am too busy objectifying women)...

IMO anyone that dismisses Manny after the fact should have the elation and memory of October 2004 erased from their brains Men in Black style.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

On his final trip into Boston a few years ago Manny apologized for his "despicable" behavior that year when he forced a trade out of Boston.  Apparently the press got it right that summer. 

All of the threads and posts about Manny weren't really necessary if you made the attempt to seperate :

Manny, the person from

Manny, the hitter

[/QUOTE]

Manny the person was great.  FANTASTIC.  he was a joy for MOST of his time in Boston.  Do we forget the day he became a US citizen and ran out to left field carrying and waving an American flag?  do we foget his very first AB in a game at Fenway in a red sox uniform?  the guy was the first one to the ballpark everyday to work on his swing or watch video of pitchers.  this had been noted time and again by many sources within the organization. 

Anyone that was in the stands the night of game 4 of the 2003 ALDS will know the kind of person Manny Ramirez really was.  if you werent there and you dont know...ask someone that was there.  i guarantee they remember.  and i would bet they see Manny for that person....not the person that the Red Sox organization continually tried to paint him as when they were trying to get rid of him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

On his final trip into Boston a few years ago Manny apologized for his "despicable" behavior that year when he forced a trade out of Boston.  Apparently the press got it right that summer. 

All of the threads and posts about Manny weren't really necessary if you made the attempt to seperate :

Manny, the person from

Manny, the hitter

[/QUOTE]

Manny the person was great.  FANTASTIC.  he was a joy for MOST of his time in Boston.  Do we forget the day he became a US citizen and ran out to left field carrying and waving an American flag?  do we foget his very first AB in a game at Fenway in a red sox uniform?  the guy was the first one to the ballpark everyday to work on his swing or watch video of pitchers.  this had been noted time and again by many sources within the organization. 

Anyone that was in the stands the night of game 4 of the 2003 ALDS will know the kind of person Manny Ramirez really was.  if you werent there and you dont know...ask someone that was there.  i guarantee they remember.  and i would bet they see Manny for that person....not the person that the Red Sox organization continually tried to paint him as when they were trying to get rid of him.

[/QUOTE]

Manny was one of a very few that actually lived up to his free agent contract. Yankee fans would sit in fear with him at the plate and the game on the line.

I was a big fan until the day in NY that he was told to come off the bench and pinch hit. Late in a big game he stood at the plate with his bat on his shoulder and took 3 straight fast balls from Mo. He tanked and from that point forward I never had any use for the guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I

I was a big fan until the day in NY that he was told to come off the bench and pinch hit. Late in a big game he stood at the plate with his bat on his shoulder and took 3 straight fast balls from Mo. He tanked and from that point forward I never had any use for the guy.

[/QUOTE]

perfect example how people portray Manny thanks to Red Sox FO & media machine.

here is what he did in his remaining 16 games in a Red Sox uniform after this PH appearance:

started in every game

for those 16 games Manny went:

24 for 72.  that's a .333 BA. / 4HR / 15 rbi's / 10BB / .915 OPS

Please explain to me how this is "tanking"????

perceptions of Manny Ramirez are completely flawed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I

[/QUOTE]

perfect example how people portray Manny thanks to Red Sox FO & media machine.

here is what he did in his remaining 16 games in a Red Sox uniform after this PH appearance:

started in every game

for those 16 games Manny went:

24 for 72.  that's a .333 BA. / 4HR / 15 rbi's / 10BB / .915 OPS

Please explain to me how this is "tanking"????

perceptions of Manny Ramirez are completely flawed.

[/QUOTE]

Make no mistake about it. Manny tanked. He couldn't remember which knee was giving him discomfort but refused to play.

He sat out the game in NY I made reference to and when told to pinch hit in the 9th. with runners on base and the game on the line he stood at the plate with bat on shoulder and watched 3 straight fastballs go by without a flinch.  That is TANKING.

Actually that is disgraceful. Don't care what else he accomplished in a Sox uniform before or after that moment. I gave him his due when I stated he is one of a few that ever lived up to his FA contract. He did but that one at bat where he tanked on his teammates and fans is what I choose to remember. I don't need FO or media machine to come to this conclusion. All I need is the eye test. What I saw was more than enough to stand and  applaud when they sent his sorry azz out of town. If I were Tito that at bat in NY would have been his last in a Sox uniform.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i think we disagree on what the term "tanking" means.

did you feel the same way 31-Jul-2005?  oh, probably not because that PH appearance after being kept out of the lineup all day because FO was trying to trade him once again he came through with a game winning hit. 

but i understand your hate for Manny.  he absolutely owned the NYY.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

i think we disagree on what the term "tanking" means.

did you feel the same way 31-Jul-2005?  oh, probably not because that PH appearance after being kept out of the lineup all day because FO was trying to trade him once again he came through with a game winning hit. 

but i understand your hate for Manny.  he absolutely owned the NYY.

[/QUOTE]

"he absolutely owned the NYY"

It's starting to come together for me. Your blind spot concerning Manny and his team tanking has escaped you in much the same way as seeing me as a yankee fan. Your inability to acquire your dream car (63 split window coupe) clearly displays limits under which you operate. When you start thinking outside the box you will begin to realize everything is possible. Blind spots and limits are self imposed. Good luck.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Tongue Out

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry in being late in coming back to this thread.

Aug. 6, 2008 was the date of bill's first post on this board.

I posted right below his post, so I though someone my notice.

[/QUOTE]

LOL Totally missed it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

People should stop talking about the trade having anything to do with a play. That's a fairy tale. This guy was paid to give Babe Ruth to the Yankees. The play angle, even if some money was used for a play in New York, was probably just a cover. IMO both sides were working for New York.

[/QUOTE]

Kim, 

Not sure where you came up with your fairy tale, but how would the Boston side be working for New York. I can only assume some sarcasm is involved. More likely of a few scenarios is that Ruth was demanding a pretty hefty hike in his salary and Frazee being in debt couldn't afford the raise or was just to stubborn and cheap to want to pay Ruth. Ruth supposedly was refusing to play unless he recieved the huge increase. 

Hetch

Sections
Shortcuts